The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Modem??

Hiya, I was just wondering if the networks at Sussex already have a modem or if I need to get a computer with a modem in it. Hope you can help! Thanks!
Reply 1
No modem required, you will however need an Ethernet card to allow yourself to connect to the network.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
redluc
No modem required, you will however need an Ethernet card to allow yourself to connect to the network.

My sentiments exactly :pcguru:
Reply 3
This is what an ethernet port will look like on your computer

Hope that helps
Ooh yay I have one of those ports :p: So what's an ethernet card exactly? :biggrin:
Reply 5
presumably you can also connect via laptop with a wireless internet card thing?
Reply 6
Kewl, thanks a lot!
Bah! Work!
presumably you can also connect via laptop with a wireless internet card thing?

Not everywhere on campus unfortunately. Not many rooms in the residences pick up wireless signals.
York House has wireless. That's about it, I think
Reply 9
soulofanewmachine
Ooh yay I have one of those ports :p: So what's an ethernet card exactly? :biggrin:

The card connecting to that port to allow your computer access to the network via an ethernet cable :smile:

Cables are cheap and available almost everywhere.

Most modern desk/laptops will have ethernet card already installed.

It's relatively easy to configure an ethernet card - Connecting to the network should be fairly easy, will just probably have to wait for some sort of authorisation of the ports.
You can get a cable from the bookshop on campus...they're only about 2-3 quid and in a lovely pink colour. :smile:
If you have the port, does that mean you have the card? Agh, sorry i'm a moron when it comes to computers. I think I already have the cable somewhere too.

I brought a pink Mouse in Claire's covered in stars. :biggrin:
Reply 12
ladyportacabin
If you have the port, does that mean you have the card?

Yes
Reply 13
How much does internet access cost? Is it included in the room price, or is it pay-as-you-go, or a termly fee, or what?
Reply 14
Jessica!!
How much does internet access cost? Is it included in the room price, or is it pay-as-you-go, or a termly fee, or what?

I believe it's included in the price :smile:
It's included in the price. Last year some of the residences weren't connected to ResNet (Sussex LAN) and the only option was to connect by dial-up for a monthly cost. AFAIK, all of the residences are now sorted with ResNet.

For more info:

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/its/roaming/resnet
Reply 16
Hurrah! There goes my study time!

"Lewes Court I
block 1 & 2: flats 1-60
Lewes Court II
block 3 & 4:flats 61-125"

Hmm? I take this to believe all. I have applied to Lewes Court but am not particularly bothered where I get now.

Latest