The Student Room Group

University- city or campus?

I am coming up to looking around universities this summer ready for next year (AH!) I'm really looking forward to looking around but i'm not sure if i'd prefer a city uni or a campus based one. I know it depends on a lot of things but if anyone is willing to share their opinion about it then it might help me have an idea to what i might prefer? Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Helllie
I am coming up to looking around universities this summer ready for next year (AH!) I'm really looking forward to looking around but i'm not sure if i'd prefer a city uni or a campus based one. I know it depends on a lot of things but if anyone is willing to share their opinion about it then it might help me have an idea to what i might prefer? Thank you! :smile:

Personally I knew I wanted to go to a campus university because I liked the idea of everything being on one site which didn't have a normal road running through it. Plus with the campus university I was at most halls were on campus so in first year I only had 5 mins to walk to lectures (although this isn't true of all campus universities).
Original post by Helllie

Personally I knew I wanted to go to a campus university because I liked the idea of everything being on one site which didn't have a normal road running through it. Plus with the campus university I was at most halls were on campus so in first year I only had 5 mins to walk to lectures (although this isn't true of all campus universities).
Reply 3
That's a good point, I suppose everything is more likely to be close together which would be nice I think. Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helllie

Personally I knew that I wanted a city University. I didn't want to just be stuck in the bubble of a University and students, I wanted to be able to meet people who weren't at my University easily too. I also think campus universities are basically of the same atmosphere as a school because of this. On nights out at my Uni we also have the freedom of the entire city, rather than just a couple of Uni clubs. City based universities are also great because there's so much to do/see, as cities are obviously catering for tourists and people who live there as well as just students. So you have a lot more fun! :P

My halls were only a 10-15 minute walk to most of my lectures which is a lot closer than my friends at campus universities.

At the end of the day most people will get on with both types, if the university itself is for you I doubt it'll really matter. I'd say city universities probably make it a tiny bit harder to connect with people to begin with because you're not forced to be around eachother 24/7, but I'm pretty shy and have managed just fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by ColouredTights
Personally I knew that I wanted a city University. I didn't want to just be stuck in the bubble of a University and students, I wanted to be able to meet people who weren't at my University easily too. I also think campus universities are basically of the same atmosphere as a school because of this. On nights out at my Uni we also have the freedom of the entire city, rather than just a couple of Uni clubs. City based universities are also great because there's so much to do/see, as cities are obviously catering for tourists and people who live there as well as just students. So you have a lot more fun! :P

My halls were only a 10-15 minute walk to most of my lectures which is a lot closer than my friends at campus universities.

At the end of the day most people will get on with both types, if the university itself is for you I doubt it'll really matter. I'd say city universities probably make it a tiny bit harder to connect with people to begin with because you're not forced to be around eachother 24/7, but I'm pretty shy and have managed just fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, it's great to have different opinions. It sounds like city ones are good fun, lots to do and see. Thanks again! :smile:
Original post by Helllie

Me too! Already booked Exeter and Nottingham (booked open day before finding out I got into Sutton trust lol). I've already visited Southampton and UCL as part of this programme I'm on and they were so different to each other. I'm not denying the fact that UCL is a good university but I really didn't like it lmao. I didn't like the fact that you have to do so much walking around on the streets of London to get where you need to go. The student union was pretty basic and there was a random guy smoking outside lol. It was as if the university has been integrated into the city if that makes sense, so it's not student orientated. This guy on the open day told me that LSE is worse though, in terms of how many alleyways you have to go through to go to different buildings and such. Also, because I live in London, going to a uni in London wouldn't be anything new for me.
On the other hand, although I wasn't blown away by Southampton's campus, it was much more students orientated. Everything's in one place and it seems like more of a community and because of that, I feel it'd be easier to fit in and find your way around. Also, you can be sure that everyone you meet around you is a student and that all facilities around you were made with students in mind. Don't let me put you off city universities though haha, that's what open days are all about, so you can find out what you prefer for yourself.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helllie

To add to what Coloured Tights said you can of course get campus uni's near a city- I'm at one (UEA) and Leeds, Birmingham and Nottingham are other examples, so you have all your uni buildings in one place and the benefit of a choice of clubs, shops and restaurants.
Original post by Helllie

To add to what Coloured Tights said you can of course get campus uni's near a city- I'm at one (UEA) and Leeds, Birmingham and Nottingham are other examples, so you have all your uni buildings in one place and the benefit of a choice of clubs, shops and restaurants.
Original post by ColouredTights

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can get this at campus unis in cities e.g. Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham
Original post by jelly1000

This is very true! I suppose I meant that it was all like this because exclusively "student" clubs don't really exist. Some people may not like this idea, I think it's nice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jelly1000
You can get this at campus unis in cities e.g. Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham

True! I have no idea about Birmingham or Leeds, but Nottingham campus is still a little bit separate from the main city. I have friends at some other city Unis, I find this problem there too, such as Hull and Sheffield. I can go on a night out and walk back to my halls in about 5 (drunk) mins, no need to waste money on a taxi!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Cool! I've booked some open days at both sorts if universities to get an idea but it's great to have the inside knowledge. :smile:))

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helllie
Cool! I've booked some open days at both sorts if universities to get an idea but it's great to have the inside knowledge. :smile:))

Posted from TSR Mobile

always the best thing to do!

Quick Reply

Latest