The Student Room Group

Which board is the hardest for a level maths

:smile:
Just going by the questions posed on here, OCR MEI seems to have some of the most challenging questions.
None of them are particularly difficult or pose any serious mathematical challenge.
Reply 3
Original post by felamaslen
None of them are particularly difficult or pose any serious mathematical challenge.

What are you basing this on if you don't mind me asking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blob :)
What are you basing this on if you don't mind me asking

Posted from TSR Mobile

The past two years of doing A level maths and further maths, in contrast to STEP preparation.
OCR MEI
Reply 6

You clearly are not aware of the latest uproar to do with Edexcel's C2 exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 78Saab

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was nothing wrong with it people were bitching mainly because they didn't revise enough. None of the questions were out of the ordinary they just were more time consuming imo then anything
Reply 8
Original post by ghostwalker
Just going by the questions posed on here, OCR MEI seems to have some of the most challenging questions.

I do OCR MEI and it's easy! I'm sure it can't be the hardest
Original post by 78Saab

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did AS last year, are you talking about the one people did this year?
Original post by Aph
I do OCR MEI and it's easy! I'm sure it can't be the hardest

I've heard OCR MEI is hardest, especially in fp modules.

Edexcel is easiest.

I do OCR

With all due respect that viewpoint is quite naive on a number of levels.
Only around 20-30% of students are 'good enough' to move on from GCSE to A Level of those probably only 70-80% make it to the exam period and of those 25% make it to the top grades.
This equates to about 5% of those starting year 11 making it to an A grade in AS maths.

Perhaps your wording should have been "Not a challenge to me".
I can assure you from teaching GCSE Foundation and Higher and A Level maths they are challenging for many.

Back to the OP.
I have taught all 4 major board now and IME from most to least student friendly:
AQA
Edexcel/OCR
MEI

IME MEI has caused the most problems for weaker students but provides (again IMO) a better course for aspiring mathematicians.
I wish Edexcel sets tougher questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OCR MEI. They have a seperate module just for DEs and Multivariable Calc in FP3! :sexface:
OCR MEI, mainly because I've heard that they have coursework in A2. I think OCR's course is the most interesting (especially FP3 - Groups & Multivariable Calculus are much more interesting topics that what appears in Edexcel's FP3).
MEI have this weird comprehension paper in C4 ? also numerical methods is coursework based in C3.
I'm a complete airhead but i still think a level maths is a bit on the easy side. I think this is cos easier exam boards will get more centres to do their exams and will subsequently get more moneyz. What we have today is exam boards competing with each other to make exams easy as possible without getting into trouble with ofqual.

Life is money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arithmeticae
OCR MEI. They have a seperate module just for DEs and Multivariable Calc in FP3! :sexface:

Srs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah m8, not even joking :sexface:

Think they also have Markov chains and group theory, need to order in some MEI textbooks :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arithmeticae
Yeah m8, not even joking :sexface:

Think they also have Markov chains and group theory, need to order in some MEI textbooks :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

**** edexcel for me :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest