The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bumpety Bump. It would really help to have some more contributions.

MB
Reply 21
Sorry for disturbing, but is it true, that:
"( ... ) your choice of College does not affect your chances of being made an offer. " ?
^^ quote from Cambridge FAQ
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/info/faq.html
Yes, but that in reality probably isnt true, with different admissions offeicers (or whatever :smile: ) from different colleges interviewing different candidates, how students that apply to different colleges be accuratley compared to one another
Sorry if that made no sense
Reply 24
It's quite odd.
FOr example - you chose colleage A, which has 200 apllicants and only 20 will be sucessful, while colleage B has 20 apllicants and 15 places. According to Cambridge FAQ you have equal chances to get in regardless which colleage you
chose (A or B).
What you think about it?
yeah but if only 5 of those 20 candidates from college B are any good, they wont take more just to make the numbers up. They will take other strong applicants from the pool, probably some of those will be from College A. This is the theory behind it anyway!
Reply 26
However, it's easier distinguish youself among 20 than 200 candidates and I think this is main argument against Cambridge statement, which I quoted.
If there are not enough good applicants the college will simply accept less, and look in the pool. If there are too many good applicants then the college will pool them. No, it's not a perfectly efficient model, but it works pretty well.

MB
Reply 28
All you lovely freshers, when you've made sense of your workload and social timetables it'd be great if you made a start on your college's page.. :smile:
I do indeed love my college (I think the avatar and the signature gives a clue) and I shall promptly fill out the G&C section of the wiki. Or rather I will when I have some spare time which may take about 6 weeks.
In actual fact, I would like to make a start on the wiki if it wasn't for the fact that I can't seem to able to log on. I get the message that my account does not exist when I do try and log on. I'll go to my supervision and halls and I'll try again later.
Reply 31
Gonville & Caius
In actual fact, I would like to make a start on the wiki if it wasn't for the fact that I can't seem to able to log on. I get the message that my account does not exist when I do try and log on. I'll go to my supervision and halls and I'll try again later.

Remember from a fair bit ago that it may be because you have a non-alphanumeric character in your username. Or that may be *******s :biggrin:.
Reply 32
Come on freshers.... :biggrin:
hmmm... I decided to try again and it still wont let me log in :-(
Reply 34
I think I love my college even though I am a fresher. Go St Catz!

Latest

Trending

Trending