Parallex
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
How did you guys find the exam? I'll try and remember the questions for the topics that I did.

Section A - 1920s America (Roaring Twenties)

Question 1: Ku Klux Klan source.
Question 2: Prohibition source.
Question 3: Effects of mass production on American life.

Section B - Hitler's Germany

Question 1: van der Lubbe source linked with the Reichstag fire.
Question 2: Violence allowed Hitler to keep his role as dictator during the years 1934-1939, do you agree?

Section B - Depression and The New Deal

Question 1:
Source of a man attempting to sell his car - link the source and your own knowledge in response to how the Depression affected the American people.
Question 2: "The New Deal was successful in ending The Depression" - Do you agree?

Overall, I found the paper quite easy. I think the New Deal question was an absolute gift. Sources were also pretty nice, only question that could have been 'nicer' was Hitler's use of violence in "keeping dictatorship" during 1934-39, was hoping for a 'How did Hitler become Chancellor/Dictator'

Hope you all did well and that is the end of history. May your 2 years of hard work pay off on results day.
Silver moon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I thought the exam went well. I did the same for section B but did Weimar for A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shaimee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did the same 3 topics as you, I agree i thought much like paper one overall the questions were quite generous. I thought the picture sources were a bit naff and hard to write about though, specifically the one with Van Der Lubbe.
Asciant
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did Russian Revolution for Section A and Stalin's Russia for Section B, but I did do Hitler's Germany and I thought the 12 mark question was pretty bad
moali125
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That 10 marker with the front cover of Mein Kampf to discuss its utility was rough, but I feel like I did my best in the exam. The three I had were Race Relations in the USA, Weimar Germany and Hitler's Germany.
Parallex
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shaimee)
I did the same 3 topics as you, I agree i thought much like paper one overall the questions were quite generous. I thought the picture sources were a bit naff and hard to write about though, specifically the one with Van Der Lubbe.
I thought the same as you. The only fact you could gather from the source is that der Lubbe stood trial for the fire.
Ben4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Parallex)
How did you guys find the exam? I'll try and remember the questions for the topics that I did.

Section A - 1920s America (Roaring Twenties)

Question 1: Ku Klux Klan source.
Question 2: Prohibition source.
Question 3: Effects of mass production on American life.

Section B - Hitler's Germany

Question 1: van der Lubbe source linked with the Reichstag fire.
Question 2: Violence allowed Hitler to keep his role as dictator during the years 1934-1939, do you agree?

Section B - Depression and The New Deal

Question 1:
Source of a man attempting to sell his car - link the source and your own knowledge in response to how the Depression affected the American people.
Question 2: "The New Deal was successful in ending The Depression" - Do you agree?

Overall, I found the paper quite easy. I think the New Deal question was an absolute gift. Sources were also pretty nice, only question that could have been 'nicer' was Hitler's use of violence in "keeping dictatorship" during 1934-39, was hoping for a 'How did Hitler become Chancellor/Dictator'

Hope you all did well and that is the end of history. May your 2 years of hard work pay off on results day.
I also done roaring 20s and new deal, but i did race relations as my last topic. I thought the exam went well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shaimee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Parallex)
I thought the same as you. The only fact you could gather from the source is that der Lubbe stood trial for the fire.
I know, i sort of wrote about the look on his face as he looked quite lost, suggesting his innocence and that it was a large trial because of all the papers but it didnt really relate to the actually events of Reichstag!
How did you find Paper 1, what topics did you do?
watermelonred
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
how much exactly should you be aiming to write on all of the 7 questions in total? (in terms of page length) (i understand that everyone's writing is different sizes) thx this is AQA History Paper 2. I don't feel i wrote enough today...
Parallex
Rep:
?
(Original post by watermelonred)
how much exactly should you be aiming to write on all of the 7 questions in total? (in terms of page length) (i understand that everyone's writing is different sizes) thx this is AQA History Paper 2. I don't feel i wrote enough today...
My writing is tiny and I filled the whole booklet. :P
moali125
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
how much exactly should you be aiming to write on all of the 7 questions in total? (in terms of page length) (i understand that everyone's writing is different sizes) thx
12 mark questions should have a side to a side-and-a-half

10 mark questions should be about a side

8 mark questions should be two thirds of a side

and so on, with the 6 and 4 markers...

Sources: History Teacher

I wrote about seven sides in total, which I'm hoping is enough to grab that A star. How much did you manage?
Ben4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by moali125)

I wrote about seven sides in total, which I'm hoping is enough to grab that A star. How much did you manage?
I also did 7 pages, i get angry when someone says they did 12 pages cos i curse my slow writing skills

Posted from TSR Mobile
watermelonred
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by moali125)

Thats exactly how much i managed to do, its just that i had a fair bit of time spare at the end so i was worried, but i think i got the content in... fingers crossed for that A*
Shaimee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In total i used 9 pages, but its notso much quantity as quality, i know some people that went onto extra paper but just babbled on about all they could write which isnt really the aim in paper 2
jabire3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Used up all pages, I worried, found it rather easy :/

I did:

1. Roaring 20's
2. Race Relations
3. Vietnam

The questions for the 20's were pathetic, KKK came up last year, came up again. Prohibition came up AGAIN and the question on mass-production was just... lol

Race Relations first question was obviously gonna come up, was one of the few "big events" that had not come up yet. The 12 marker was a past question rephrased and you had to talk about the Black Power Movement - that's it.

Vietnam was the same.

Overall, both exams went well - hope everyone did well!

Edit: There is no science to how much you write - as long as you give the examiner quality, that is all that matters. For the ten marker, to get max, just mention both sides - agree and disagree to an extent, evaluate the provenance and give a balanced conclusion. For the 12 markers, same thing but a more substantiated conclusion, not much difference really. For the eight markers make sure you explicitly mentioned the source, if you don't you cannot get more than six marks. The six markers in section A are pretty straightforward and the four markers are to, just infer from the text.
Ben4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jabire3)
Used up all pages, I worried, found it rather easy :/

I did:

1. Roaring 20's
2. Race Relations
3. Vietnam

The questions for the 20's were pathetic, KKK came up last year, came up again. Prohibition came up AGAIN and the question on mass-production was just... lol

Race Relations first question was obviously gonna come up, was one of the few "big events" that had not come up yet. The 12 marker was a past question rephrased and you had to talk about the Black Power Movement - that's it.

Vietnam was the same.

Overall, both exams went well - hope everyone did well!

Edit: There is no science to how much you write - as long as you give the examiner quality, that is all that matters. For the ten marker, to get max, just mention both sides - agree and disagree to an extent, evaluate the provenance and give a balanced conclusion. For the 12 markers, same thing but a more substantiated conclusion, not much difference really. For the eight markers make sure you explicitly mentioned the source, if you don't you cannot get more than six marks. The six markers in section A are pretty straightforward and the four markers are to, just infer from the text.
For the Black Power Movement question I spoke about MLK's Peaceful Protests and the violent protests which gave the movement more recognition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jabire3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ben4)
For the Black Power Movement question I spoke about MLK's Peaceful Protests and the violent protests which gave the movement more recognition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I said that the Power Movement had some effect, the younger generation supported them mainly due to the slow progress in areas such as voting. In Texas, as the support for the power movement grew, the amount of blacks eligible to vote shot up.

But, The Power Movement had limited success, violence in LA for example resulted in deaths and injuries. That doesn't help Civil Rights.

Support for King was reducing, but he still had the majority of Americans on his side. His success from the 50's gave people confidence he would do the same in the 60's, which he did. The Washington March put pressure on the president, showed how much support he had and resulted in the Civil Rights Act being passed.

Something like that lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University