BIGBANGT
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi guys,

I've been trying to find an official thread for the AQA Mest 3 examination but there are mostly threads for OCR papers. Therefore, I thought it would be more beneficial for all the AQA Media Students to come together at on thread than posting new threads here and there. Let's share knowledge and ace to an A/A*!!

I'm doing Amazon and how New Media has impacted the institution. I've tried to look at past papers and how I would apply current events with Amazon in it. How are other people constructing their case study? How are you dividing it but still trying to be focused? And lastly, which theories(ts) are you applying to your case study?

SOME RESOURCES FOR MEST 3 EXAM

http://fishymediaresources.blogspot.co.uk/ - This is an excellent blog created by a Media teacher for it's students. What I love about this is that it allows you to find relevant information which you can directly apply in your case study e.g. in my case that the Kindle has allowed Chinese citizens to access blocked websites...

http://media.edusites.co.uk/
- This is a website which has combined many media resources into one place. This will particularly help when researching about New Media and current media debates.

AQA Media Studies A2 Student Book
- This is a book published by AQA themselves to help Media Students in terms of their coursework as well as their exam. It discusses both Section A and B responses and key concepts which have to be included. It is a great starting point for those who are particularly weak in Section A as it breaks down the theories and how they are applied to media texts.
Gangie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My case study is on representations of teenage males in the media (typical, I know). I've been attempting to do as many Section A and Section B answers as humanly possible. In terms of theory I'm applying a great number of them and intend to answer the Representations question. Our teacher has been brilliant and been creating her own Section A questions focused on Broadcast however I feel that two film clips for broadcast will be an overload so I am looking at print and e-media also. Nice to know that someone else out there is in the same boat!
JayC1969
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi are there any online resources for Section A? I'm feeling a little light on that section and need to cram quite a few terms
sophieelwood
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're looking for theories I'd recommend: http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/m...theories_mest3
It's free and you download it.

If you're looking for key words and you have a smartphone/android you could download 'MediaStudies' on the app store which is free and it tests you.
ZoeeGrace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JayC1969)
Hi are there any online resources for Section A? I'm feeling a little light on that section and need to cram quite a few terms
I'm glad that I'm not the only one feeling like that then.

And my case study is representations of Disability which I then narrowed down to Representations of Disability on TV.
JayC1969
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ZoeeGrace)
I'm glad that I'm not the only one feeling like that then.

And my case study is representations of Disability which I then narrowed down to Representations of Disability on TV.
sounds decent that, feeling food about it?

Mine's on news and news reporting for Digital Media
bbbrnl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey guys! I'm doing the representations of Arabs and Islamic culture within western media for my case study! I'm just stuck on structuring my answers properly. Do you guys know how I can structure it
Bethxo/1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
GUYS YOU NEED TO HELP ME!!!
I'm doing film in new media and I'm not exaggerating when I say I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING. Someone please give me some tips and info xoxxoxoxoxo
4oursword
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't know if you guys will have heard this, but a DVD player will be required in the exam rooms. That points towards broadcast if you ask me.

My Independent Research was the appeal of Viral Video Producers on YouTube with a special focus of Thomas "Tomska" Ridgewell, so it might be a bit of an awkward one to apply. Oh well :P

Can't say I'm confident- I'm finding revision difficult. We've already done all of the previous questions in lessons
Gangie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I reckon they'll give one broadcast clip and then a print piece to go along with it. Print could be a screenshot of a website though so idek
filmmaker173
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 4oursword)
Don't know if you guys will have heard this, but a DVD player will be required in the exam rooms. That points towards broadcast if you ask me.

My Independent Research was the appeal of Viral Video Producers on YouTube with a special focus of Thomas "Tomska" Ridgewell, so it might be a bit of an awkward one to apply. Oh well :P

Can't say I'm confident- I'm finding revision difficult. We've already done all of the previous questions in lessons
You're independent research was your case study correct? For Section B. I'm guessing yours is targeted at the New/Digital Media questions rather than the Representation questions. Either way, your case study is for section B. The DVD player is required for section A of the exam. So I don't see what is causing you to get all worked up. It seems like you're getting the two sections muddled. Hope I've clarified things a little
filmmaker173
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bethxo/1)
GUYS YOU NEED TO HELP ME!!!
I'm doing film in new media and I'm not exaggerating when I say I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING. Someone please give me some tips and info xoxxoxoxoxo
Your case study is on film? That seems very generalised. Was it not more specific than that? If you can give me details of what exactly your case study is I may be able to help you a little. My new media case study is Netflix
filmmaker173
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bbbrnl)
Hey guys! I'm doing the representations of Arabs and Islamic culture within western media for my case study! I'm just stuck on structuring my answers properly. Do you guys know how I can structure it
That would depend entirely on he question you choose to answer. However, I would begin with mentioning your topic and linking it to there question. Then move into talking about the positive and negative representations using various media examples.
filmmaker173
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JayC1969)
Just look at some past papers. If they used broad cast texts then you can likely find them on YouTube. This will help you get used to he sort of questions you will be asked and help you prepare how you are going to layout your notes in the exam. Try looking at the Jan12 paper
filmmaker173
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My new media case study is Netflix. And my representation case study is disability in film. In likely going to go with new media as I feel I know more about this area. However, in some of the past papers questions about things such as globalisation and citizen journalism have come up and I'm worried when I get into the exam I'll be faced with something similar and won't have a way of relation it to my case study. Any ideas of how to combat this?
4oursword
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by filmmaker173)
You're independent research was your case study correct? For Section B. I'm guessing yours is targeted at the New/Digital Media questions rather than the Representation questions. Either way, your case study is for section B. The DVD player is required for section A of the exam. So I don't see what is causing you to get all worked up. It seems like you're getting the two sections muddled. Hope I've clarified things a little
I was just meaning I'm worried in general :P
filmmaker173
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 4oursword)
I was just meaning I'm worried in general :P
Ah I see
Hj1492
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was just wondering if anyone knew how to structure an ideal section B answer. I'm focusing on Muslims/Middle East in western media. I have a few sources but I'm not sure if I'm not going into enough detail.
filmmaker173
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hj1492)
I was just wondering if anyone knew how to structure an ideal section B answer. I'm focusing on Muslims/Middle East in western media. I have a few sources but I'm not sure if I'm not going into enough detail.
Someone else asked the same question here's my answer

That would depend entirely on he question you choose to answer. However, I would begin with mentioning your topic and linking it to there question. Then move into talking about the positive and negative representations using various media examples.
kaykibz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
anyone got anything on media debates that could help?? im really worried about section b
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
38.14%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.79%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.19%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.74%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.89%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.25%

Watched Threads