The Student Room Group

Scared to death. Don't know what to do

Hi,

I think I failed a uni module, and I am scared that I may have failed.

I have NEVER failed a uni module before and I am really scared and worried.

Keep worrying.

Just out of interest, do lecturers mark leniently? I am just curious
Reply 1
Original post by po10tial
Hi,

I think I failed a uni module, and I am scared that I may have failed.

I have NEVER failed a uni module before and I am really scared and worried.

Keep worrying.

Just out of interest, do lecturers mark leniently? I am just curious

Ok well I don't know how lecturers mark - it will vary between individuals, departments and universities. Don't sit at home worrying - go out and keep busy. Talk to a careers advisor/tutor about your options if you have failed and take comfort in the fact that most people think that they have done worse in exams than they really have :smile: Good luck
Haven't got any advice for you but just wanted to say I'm in exactly the same situation! I'm stressing out so much.

Good luck, really hope it works out for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
if it's just 1 unit if you failed well (between I think 35-39%) and you got above 40% in another unit you might get a compensated mark if you have failed badly you will possibly either have to do a resit which will be capped at 40% or if it was course based work you may get a make up assignment or if you had weekly tests you'll possibly be given some questions to complete and send back. failing that you may have to do it next year some lecturers will round up 39% to 40% by giving you a mark for spelling your name correctly or something. you never know you may have passed just put it out of your mind you'll go mad if you keep worrying about it.
Speak to your personal tutor - they will know what the policy is on your course and will be able to advise you accordingly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you have a course handbook? This will hopefully let you know the procedure if you failed. It is likely you will have the chance to retake, or you may be able to get a compensated pass. Was the module coursework or exam based, or both? If you have passed one, you may be able to pass the module regardless of your grade in the other (assuming the overall mark averages over 40%).

Try not to panic too much. If this is the only module you've failed, you're not going to be kicked off the course!

You could try asking if anyone in the year above knows how harshly or otherwise your lecturers mark.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If this is the only module you've failed, you're not going to be kicked off the course!

Seriously ^^^^? I'm in the same situation as OP and I'm convinced I won't be allowed to progress to 2nd year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I failed 3 modules in 2nd year and did resit for all and passed so don't be scared. Now failing the resits again is something to fear as that suggests you are not doing enough or not capable of passing so I say learn from this mistake and try your best always. Oh and by the way first year doesn't count so they are much more lenient than you would think and usually if you close to passing will push your marks up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Alexandra19
Seriously ^^^^? I'm in the same situation as OP and I'm convinced I won't be allowed to progress to 2nd year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's very unlikely you won't be given the option to resit if you have passed all your other modules. Honestly, it's not in the university's interests to kick a lot of people out in first year who have just had one blip.

If you fail your resit, then the uni may still offer you other options, e.g. retaking the module alongside second year, or making up the credits some other way.
Reply 9
At my undergrad uni if you failed three or more units then you had to retake those units from the start, effectively re-taking a scaled-down version of the year you failed. You had to pass that before you were allowed to continue to the next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending