Edexcel A2 cold war how to answer part A (brake down part A questions) Watch

tomom90
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The nuclear arms race did little to restrain the actions of the USA and the Soviet
Union in the Cold War in the years 1949–63.’ How far do you agree with this view

is it asking me to, do two paragraphs one on how it did restrain and how it didnt, or other factors that were more important, or is that another 'type of question'

this is supposedly a 'judgement' question?
mrandmr.crane
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi! Basically you have to do the first thing - look at how it did restrain the US and the USSR and how it didn't, and then reach a judgement overall
pullan1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
With these types of questions is it acceptable to go into other factors that restrained the actions of the US and USSR?
Maybe economic and domestic factors?
mrandmr.crane
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you mean like, one paragraph on economic factors, another on domestic factors - that kind of thing? If that's what you mean, then I don't think so. You've just got to consider how the nuclear arms race affected relations - whether it encouraged the US and the USSR to try and compromise or feel more competitive/come into more conflict.

Like with the question 'To what extent was the cold war diplomacy based on coexistence rather than confrontation?', you'd only really discuss those two ideas.

As for mentioning briefly something like 'arguably it was actually domestic factors which led to the emergence of coexistence policies rather than the nuclear arms race, which shows it had a limited impact in restraining the superpowers', I'm not too sure! I don't think I would mention other factors, because the focus is meant to be on the named topic (e.g. nuclear arms race).

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...c_20130815.pdf
jaspharrison
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
split it into 4 paragraphs,
P1: how it did restrain the actions of the US
P2:how it did restrain the actions of the USSR
P3:how it didn't restrain the actions of the US
P4:how it didn't restrain the actions of the USSR
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (207)
32.55%
The paper was reasonable (312)
49.06%
Not feeling great about that exam... (72)
11.32%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
7.08%

Watched Threads