Missed out back page in the exam!

Watch this thread
ibz100
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Okay I made a really stupid mistake in the AQA CHEM1 JUNE14 paper that I sat yesterday and I missed out the back page. I only realised that there was a back page when the invigilator came round to collect the paper and by that time there was obviously nothing I could do about it. It was a really stupid mistake but it was entirely my fault and there's nothing I can do besides moving on.

Now I need someone to help me understand the UMS distribution in the Chemistry AS Level so that I can reconsider my expectations for the Summer.

Simply, I was previously targeting an A grade overall. In the EMPA I think I got a high B grade and now with this disaster I'm thinking along the lines of high C grade/low B grade for the CHEM1 paper.

My questions are:
Is an A grade still possible?
Is a B grade still possible?
What should I be targeting in the upcoming CHEM2 exam to achieve a B grade or higher?

Thanks to everyone that helps beforehand; I appreciate it!
Dylann
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Chemistry AS is out of 300 UMS.

60-EMPA
100- CHEM1
140 -CHEM2

A C in chem 1 is perhaps 70ish UMS (minimum). I'm unsure about grade boundaries for EMPA and I can't check at the moment, but let's suppose 42/60 is a B (minimum)

You therefore have ROUGHLY 112 ums at a minimum. An A is 240. 240 - 112 = 128 ums needed in chem2.

Get revising!

Posted from TSR Mobile
émiliemilia
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I did the same thing in one of my gcses in year 10 and had to resist as I missed out two whole pages and got a b when I was targeted an a*
I think it's still possible to get an A providing you did well on the rest of the paper, and how many marks those questions were worth.
At least you won't do it again, trust me after this you'll be counting every page In the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tr1997
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
You just wanna get an A on unit 2, the grade boundaries for unit 2 are really low, you can drop about 20 marks and still get an A, anyway the back page didn't have that many marks I don't think

Posted from TSR Mobile
ibz100
Rep:
Yeah, the back page had 8 marks which is a fairly large chunk but at least CHEM2 is a much larger module compared to CHEM1 so the it could have been worse. Lesson learned though. Y'all shoulda seen my face when I realised. My jaw just hit the floor. But at least I can see the funny side of it.

So I need 128 UMS for this upcoming CHEM 2 provided I didn't do as badly on the other modules as I previously envisaged.

Any one know what 128 UMS is typicaly defined as in raw marks?
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ibz100)
Yeah, the back page had 8 marks which is a fairly large chunk but at least CHEM2 is a much larger module compared to CHEM1 so the it could have been worse. Lesson learned though. Y'all shoulda seen my face when I realised. My jaw just hit the floor. But at least I can see the funny side of it.

So I need 128 UMS for this upcoming CHEM 2 provided I didn't do as badly on the other modules as I previously envisaged.

Any one know what 128 UMS is typicaly defined as in raw marks?
Last year it was 90/100 for 129 UMS (there was no 128)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Phantom Lord
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Think I did that once.
ibz100
Rep:
(Original post by Changing Skies)
Last year it was 90/100 for 129 UMS (there was no 128)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks everybody! I really appreciate your help.

Guess I'm aiming for 90% plus then.

God luck to anyone else doing exams too.
ibz100
Rep:
Just one more thing, is 90% raw mark the MAXIMUM I would have to achieve? I ask this given that you assumed that I had the lowest possible B grade in the EMPA and the lowest possible C grade in the CHEM 1 paper.
Mils88
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
does anyone know what was on the back page? getting paranoid I didn't do it!
Tha Realest
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mils88)
does anyone know what was on the back page? getting paranoid I didn't do it!
~ 2 shapes of molecules and ions questions
~ An equation question

^ I can't remember what else :cool:
BigBadJFly
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
LOL!

I did this in my PC1 (maths) exam last year and still managed to get 97/100 UMS
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (3)