Mysticmeg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was just wondering what A levels would give me the best chance to getting into a top uni to study psychology (ideally the PBS at Cambridge but that's going to be very hard to get on as it's so popular ).

Originally I was going to take Maths, Bio, Psychology and English Lit but i recently realized I have really gone off English Lit and I fear I could see it as a chore at college.

So I'm going to change English Lit but what should I change it to?
I have 2 options that I think I would both enjoy: Chem or Philosophy.
If I took Chem would I be at a disadvantage because I wouldn't have an essay subject? (although from my understanding doesn't psychology A level include lots of essay writing?)

Any opinions would be appreciated! and sorry if I don't reply quickly because I'm just about to go on holiday for the week.
susanalbumparty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mysticmeg)
I was just wondering what A levels would give me the best chance to getting into a top uni to study psychology (ideally the PBS at Cambridge but that's going to be very hard to get on as it's so popular ).

Originally I was going to take Maths, Bio, Psychology and English Lit but i recently realized I have really gone off English Lit and I fear I could see it as a chore at college.

If I took Chem would I be at a disadvantage because I wouldn't have an essay subject? (although from my understanding doesn't psychology A level include lots of essay writing?)

Any opinions would be appreciated! and sorry if I don't reply quickly because I'm just about to go on holiday for the week.
Hi. I think what is more important that you read alot around psychology, rather than a level choice. I did English Lit and absolutely hated it--- i put in enough work to get good marks at AS level however i didn't revise it at A level and focused on my other three :P (Did the same as you but with physics instead of biology).

Generally speaking: maths biology and psychology are excellent a levels for preperation for a psych degree. Psychology A level will not prepare you very well for essay writing, however, since its so prescriptive. English literature is much better preperation, but its so much work and I didn't enjoy it very much. I would go for whatever you enjoy most---

Also, I must also had that you shouldn't stress too much about doing psychology at cambridge- sure its nice- but you'll enjoy yourself whereever you go, and the "oxbridge" advantage is very much overhyped.
Sannn
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I'm a first year Psychology student at Nottingham and I can tell you that having Biology, Psychology and Maths is an excellent combo, probably the best you can get for a Psychology degree as you cover the mathematical statistical side of the degree through A level maths, the neuro/biological side through Biology and a a decent insight through Psychology. For a fourth, I wouldn't say it matters too much.

It would help to be versed in essay writing, as uni level psych does include a lot of essays and lab reports. Personally I would go with Philosophy as it encompasses essay writing skills - it would combine well with the scientific nature of Maths/Biology to show you are all rounded, which is what a psychology student needs to be.

A level psychology does include a lot of essay writing but it's nothing like uni level - the A level isn't really "psychology" at all. I'd argue it's just comprehension with a vague scientific tint - it only truly picks up at undergrad level.
Mysticmeg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks for your responses
I've decided to take Chemistry A level as I believe I will enjoy it more and the college I'm going to offers the EPQ in the second year, so I could probably take this to demonstrate and develop my essay writing skills.
Sannn
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for your responses
I've decided to take Chemistry A level as I believe I will enjoy it more and the college I'm going to offers the EPQ in the second year, so I could probably take this to demonstrate and develop my essay writing skills.
Good luck with that, hope it works out for you. I've completed an EPQ myself, so if you need help regarding structure/layout/ideas, just give me a buzz and I'll send it over.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.61%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (352)
29.21%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed