Zakmoh15
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I've been looking at the history course at the college I'm going to next year and history is by far the most interesting course- encompasses political aspects and is very modern- but I haven't done history at GCSE and I am really worried that I will flop this as level when I really need 4 As. They do AQA if that helps

I'm doing maths, economics, history ( dependant on the outcome of this thread) and chemistry
lonerism
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Zakmoh15)
So I've been looking at the history course at the college I'm going to next year and history is by far the most interesting course- encompasses political aspects and is very modern- but I haven't done history at GCSE and I am really worried that I will flop this as level when I really need 4 As. They do AQA if that helps

I'm doing maths, economics, history ( dependant on the outcome of this thread) and chemistry
Talk with the college you want to go to and see if they'll allow it (in my area, you have to do history at GCSE to be able to continue at A-level but I think they allow for some students that have done a humanity and done well in English to continue) . You'll be fine if they allow you - the stuff that you'll be doing at A-Level will be very different to that at GCSE.
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest, I don't think it's a major problem. I did GCSE History and don't think it gave me much of an advantage; the exam styles are very different! Your teacher would ensure you develop the essay and source analysis skills necessary, you're not expected to know how to do it if you like the look of it, go for it! It really is an enjoyable subject :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zakmoh15
Rep:
?
(Original post by lonerism)
Talk with the college you want to go to and see if they'll allow it (in my area, you have to do history at GCSE to be able to continue at A-level but I think they allow for some students that have done a humanity and done well in English to continue) . You'll be fine if they allow you - the stuff that you'll be doing at A-Level will be very different to that at GCSE.
They say that is u don't do history gcse you have to have english at at least a B, a I'm predicted 2 A*s, but even then I'm still worried,

I was just wondering, how different, in terms of technique?
Confusedlegend
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am currently studying AQA history A2(exam in 9 days 😔) and I am predicated an A and didn't study history at GCSE so all in all you don't have to have a history GCSE to do well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zakmoh15
Rep:
?
(Original post by Confusedlegend)
I am currently studying AQA history A2(exam in 9 days ������) and I am predicated an A and didn't study history at GCSE so all in all you don't have to have a history GCSE to do well

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did u find the jump from gcse to as level?
lonerism
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Zakmoh15)
They say that is u don't do history gcse you have to have english at at least a B, a I'm predicted 2 A*s, but even then I'm still worried,

I was just wondering, how different, in terms of technique?
I'm in your year but I'm friends with a sixth former at my school and I'm only telling you what she told me (because she takes it) but yeah the essay writing is much more different compared to what it is at GCSE but doesn't the same go for most subjects? I think you'll be okay, don't worry People that have done History at GCSE will be in the same boat as you x
Confusedlegend
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I didn't do history GCSE, so I couldn't tell you about the jump but my history teacher always says it is better if you do history a-level without it's gcse(providing your good at English) because of the different techniques and it's easier to gain a new one rather then changing your previous one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zakmoh15
Rep:
?
Do u have any tips in preparing for History Alevel if you haven't done gcse?
Civil Dispute
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I didn't do GCSE History and had my AS exams in it the other day. They went well! Throughout the year I've had A's consistently and been at the higher end of performers in the class, and they all had done GCSE History. I struggled at the very start, for the first 5 weeks, but that was because I was still getting used to A levels. Apparently it's very different at A level and success in it at GCSE doesn't guarantee that in sixth form. My friend did GCSE History, got an A* and then scraped a B at AS. Really, it just depends on the person. I recommend reading the books you'll be learning from before sixth form starts. I did this for the Italian Renaissance side of the course and it payed off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?