The Student Room Group

University Course Options

Hello,

I'm taking History, Chemistry, Biology and Maths AS Level and dropping History after Year 12, meaning that I will have an A Level in Chemistry, Biology and Maths.

I'm in Year 11 and extremely interested in studying Medicine at University, however, as this is a competitive course to get into, it is always useful to have back-up plan in case.

What other university courses can you study with the a-levels I'll have? I am aiming for straight A's at GCSE but I think may end up with a couple of B's.

Thank-you
Reply 1
Original post by pastaisfabulous
Hello,

I'm taking History, Chemistry, Biology and Maths AS Level and dropping History after Year 12, meaning that I will have an A Level in Chemistry, Biology and Maths.

I'm in Year 11 and extremely interested in studying Medicine at University, however, as this is a competitive course to get into, it is always useful to have back-up plan in case.

What other university courses can you study with the a-levels I'll have? I am aiming for straight A's at GCSE but I think may end up with a couple of B's.

Thank-you

This might be vaguely helpful. Otherwise, just go through UCAS or (my preference) a given university's prospectus (online or otherwise) and look through the degree list and see what jumps out at you. Sometimes you'll read the description of what a degree involves and find that it's far more appealing to you than you would have thought.
Reply 2
Original post by pastaisfabulous
Hello,

Thank-you

Your options are totally wide open, you've got all the science options and don't discount degrees in nursing, and other caring roles such as paramedics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Beyond the more obvious 'science options' there are many courses you would be eligible to apply for, so you really need to have a look. I searched for the University of Sheffield on UCAS as an example, without searching for a specific course, and here are some of the courses you meet the subject requirements for:

Bioengineering
Chemical Engineering
Civil Engineering with a Year in Industry (MEng)
Computer Science
Ecology and Conservation Biology
Economics (BA)
Economics (BSc)
Electrical Engineering
Electronic Engineering
Environmental Science
Genetics
Medical Genetics
Psychology (BSc)
Psychology (BA)
Zoology

Yes, I do find browsing UCAS far more appealing than getting on with the work I should be doing.
Reply 4
don't count on the fact that you'll be dropping history... i planned on dropping history after gcse and but i ended up taking it over chemistry and now i'm doing it at A2
otherwise, you'll mainly only have science options but you could try something entirely new like psychology, most of my medic friends though put biology as their safe option

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending