Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I know one post covered this topic briefly, but I still have some unanswered questions..i hear you all groan!

Firstly, If people are bringing large items, like TV's or PC's, when do they bring them? Is it all on the same moving in day?

Secondly, I know that parking in Portsmouth is a big problem. So where is there a suitable place to stop your car so you have all the time in the world to unload your belongings?

ReputationRep:
    You can go down and take your stuff to move in as many times as you want after the move in date. (I'm not sure of the exact date this year, Might be 30th Sept.)
    As for parking. Good luck. I was in Rees last year and there were people around directing you where to park and the road leading into the front of Rees is wide with parking on either side. Even so you won't get that much time if you are there at a busy time unless you find a place near by to park and unload from there.
    I'm not sure how it works for the guildhall halls. Though I have seen cars parked alongside JW unloading. It will be busy but there should be people around to help you.
    Burrel has a car park and I've seen people loading their cars up but I don't know how busy it gets when moving in.
    And I don't have a clue about Langstone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehaunter275)
    Hey,

I know one post covered this topic briefly, but I still have some unanswered questions..i hear you all groan!

Firstly, If people are bringing large items, like TV's or PC's, when do they bring them? Is it all on the same moving in day?

Secondly, I know that parking in Portsmouth is a big problem. So where is there a suitable place to stop your car so you have all the time in the world to unload your belongings?
    You can move stuff in and out of your room whenever you want. It's alright for me as I don't live too far from Portsmouth. But I'd imagine it's probably best to try and bring it all down with you the first time, especially if you have a long journey.

Parking is not as big a problem as people make out most of the time, but on the official moving-in days it's rather manic. At least, it is around Rees and Burrell. I don't know about the rest of the halls.

ReputationRep:
    when i was moving in people were cramming the lift with tvs/computers and the lark, so much so that they broke the damn lifts so we all had to carry our stuff up the stairs - luckily i was only on the 4th floor, poor dabs living on 11!

mwahahaha....

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on going down their on the 30th, cramming all my stuff in the car and getting my parents to cart it around (like minstrels), i might even get them back harnesses and push carts if they are lucky...i've always thought that arriving to uni with everything you need in a small red pull cart would be awesome, with maybe a small traveller sack with my lunch in, swung over one shoulder lol...i made sure i kept boxes for my computer, speakers, monitor, with all the polystyrene in so that its safer when i go down to uni

My friend Tom, who happens to also be staying in Harry Law is planning on getting hold of the UPS and sending it down there, i can just imagine it now, having spent half his student grant on getting UPS to deliver it down there! haha

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous that everyone is moving in on the same day. At some other universities they give people different dates to move in, over two or three days so everyone's not trying to get all their stuff to their room at the same time !! STUPID.

:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfiredup)
    It's ridiculous that everyone is moving in on the same day. At some other universities they give people different dates to move in, over two or three days so everyone's not trying to get all their stuff to their room at the same time !! STUPID.

:mad:
    If you're in one of the Guildhall Halls, you should get a letter soon saying you can move in on any of 4 days (Thursday - Sunday).

ReputationRep:
    plus, you don't have to bring everything down at once - i spread it over 2 weekends..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffers)
    Parking is not as big a problem as people make out most of the time, but on the official moving-in days it's rather manic. At least, it is around Rees and Burrell. I don't know about the rest of the halls.
    It's a nightmare mate.

ReputationRep:
    Try to move in on the Thursday/Friday if you can. For Maggie Rule, the parking isn't that great, but getting stuff up to your room is pretty easy - there are 3 lifts and wide corridors.

ReputationRep:
    i have the option of moving in on the saturday but i aint going down till the sunday - is it still likely to be busy then?

ReputationRep:
    I moved in on the Sunday, it wasn't too bad really. Although I did half on Thursday, half on Sunday...

ReputationRep:
    I moved into Trafalgar on the Saturday last year. Was there at 10am and there was a bit of parking right outside the building, but because I was there so early, what people were doing was filling up a lift with all their stuff, emptying it out on their floor then moving it to their room from there. Didn't take too long, but not many people managed to do that. I was on floor 2, and the rest of my flatmates ended up having to take thestairs with all their stuff!! Not sure how the spaces were outside for parking, because people were just parking on the pavements. They may even have opened Eldon carpark I think. It won't be too much of aproblem though. Earlier you go, the better!

(Also, not everyone can move in over a few weekends :P A 4 and a half hour car journey meant my parents were very against that idea...!!)

ReputationRep:
    moving into trafagar, i wana move in on thurs 28th - u think we allowed?

ReputationRep:
    last year i moved in first thing on the thursday morning to james watson so there was hardly anyone there. im so glad i did because we had no trouble parking. it was a lot busier over the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    I'll have to move in on the saturday because it's the only time my parents can take me down. What are saturday's like? I imagine very busy...?

ReputationRep:
    I won't take anywhere near as much stuff with me as I did last year. I took so much junk that I never used, by the time it came to clearing out at the end of the year it was an absolute nightmare.

One thing I will be taking, however, is a mop.

ReputationRep:
    i took too much in my first year and my second year! this time i'm gonna do it right....

eeep!

ReputationRep:
    As for stuff to take...I know we need the obvious, like duvets/clothes, etc, but do we need things like our own cleaning products/irons/ironing boards, etc, or are we provided with those? I know we're given vacuums....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelenaGaia)
    As for stuff to take...I know we need the obvious, like duvets/clothes, etc, but do we need things like our own cleaning products/irons/ironing boards, etc, or are we provided with those? I know we're given vacuums....
    Some halls (JW for example) provide ironing boards and irons, others how ever do not. Take your own is my advice as the uni stuff is made by the lowest bidder.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.