Can a £5 Bank of Scotland note be used in the UK? (Edit: CHAT) Watch

This discussion is closed.
jamal1425
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
This might be a stupid question, but I would like to first ask for everybody to excuse my ignorance, but can a £5 Bank of Scotland note be used in the UK? In other parts of the UK such as London, Manchester etc? Because the thing is on the note in question, it clearly states that it's a "Five Pounds Sterling"
.I used to collect currencies from around the world, but now I've lost interest in that hobby! :rolleyes:
sparkler
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yep yep

well my mam accepts them in her shop when she gets them

they can always be exchanged in a bank anyway

TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jamal1425)
This might be a stupid question, but I would like to first ask for everybody to excuse my ignorance, but can a £5 Bank of Scotland note be used in the UK? In other parts of the UK such as London, Manchester etc? Because the thing is on the note in question, it clearly states that it's a "Five Pounds Sterling"
.I used to collect currencies from around the world, but now I've lost interest in that hobby! :rolleyes:

yes ive got quite a few £1 BoS notes and you can use them
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
People sometimes take them, though the only money they are legally required to take are Bank of England notes (in england). One time Borders gave me an irish £5 note in change... they swapped it after about 10 minutes of complaining :rolleyes:
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, you can use Northern Irish, Scottish and English notes; well they're all legal tender. Sometimes shops can be funny about taking them (they do look different) but THEY ARE legal tender.

Then again, stamps are legal tender too... but try spending them. :/
Sanctus
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Yes, Bank of Scotyland notes can legally be used in England and they can be a great source for devilish delight.

On a busy day, join a long queue 15 minutes before the shop is due to close. In 5 minutes you’ll be served. Offer them the Bank of Scotland note. The poor lass wont have a clue what to do - “wotz vis?”, she’ll ask. She’ll then press the till bell and one by one bemused staff and staff leaders will scratch their heads until one of them figures it out.

Meanwhile the people behind you in the queue will be most pissed off. Jolly good fun, no?
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dazmanultra)
In the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, you can use Northern Irish, Scottish and English notes; well they're all legal tender. Sometimes shops can be funny about taking them (they do look different) but THEY ARE legal tender.

I always thought that they were only in the country on the note, even though they have the same value
fifi53
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
you can use scottish/northern irish notes here.
once i got given a republic of ireland fiver in scotland and i didnt notice as i was so used to being given the wierd looking scottish notes - went to spend it in the nice oxfam bookshop and he said it wasnt legal tender (so i went and spent it at woolworths and they didnt even notice!)
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Northern Irish money is legal tender, Republic of Eire use the Euro!
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm afraid you can't spend any of them, that goes for Scottish, Irish, Welsh whatever. Plesae immediately put them in an an Envelope addressed to:
Daveo,
Richmond Park Halls,
Manchester.
That goes for all of you with these unusable bank notes - I'll take care of them.
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
why do english people always ask this? lol, yes they can. the same way as you can use bank of england notes in scotland.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dazmanultra)

Just thought i should point out legal tender dosn't mean shops have to accept it. Shops can refuse any type of money they wish even british notes. Legal tender means that the money must be accepted as payment in the settlement of debts. Ie If you were in debt to me I couldn't refuse the payment in postage stamps (assuming they are legal tender - I don't know about this one).

Source: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bankn...egaltender.htm
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
Just thought i should point out legal tender dosn't mean shops have to accept it. Shops can refuse any type of money they wish even british notes. Legal tender means that the money must be accepted as payment in the settlement of debts. Ie If you were in debt to me I couldn't refuse the payment in postage stamps (assuming they are legal tender - I don't know about this one).
Yeah that was why I specifically said they were legal tender as opposed to "they have to take them".
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The Office

Brent: "A bus driver would have to accept stamps as payment"
Tim: "Yeah, like that's gonna happen"
Brent: "If he doesn't report him to the bus company"
Tim: "Yeah report him to the company whilst your walking home..."
Gareth: "Get a taxi if you've got enough stamps"
Dawn: "Or cash them in at the post office..."
Brent: "Shouldn't have to. shouldn't have to..."
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You can't use Jersey money in England, yet it's still sterling
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I work in a supermarket and people pay with Scottish notes sometimes and I have no problem taking them. I accidently gave a Scottish £20 note to a customer when they asked for cash back once, and they weren't too happy!
figgetyfig
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
I'm afraid you can't spend any of them, that goes for Scottish, Irish, Welsh whatever. Plesae immediately put them in an an Envelope addressed to:
Daveo,
Richmond Park Halls,
Manchester.
That goes for all of you with these unusable bank notes - I'll take care of them.
hahahaha, that kept me entertained for a minute or two.
fifi53
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
god i wish all money looked the same!!!
if someone gave me a fake/out of date scottish banknote i wouldnt know what to look for on it to see it was real. its like foreign passports (ie. not EU), youre not used to them so you wouldnt know if it was fake if someone showed it as ID.
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by figgetyfig)
hahahaha, that kept me entertained for a minute or two.
Glad I could be of service.
SideKickRick
Report 15 years ago
It's always fun to confuse people in shops! The people in the Spar across the road weren't too pleased when i tried to buy about £1 worth of sweets with a Scottish £20 note. Even more fun was when I tried to pay for a driving lesson with a £50 note, the guy about had a heart attack and said to just pay next week instead!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (43)
33.08%
No I don't (61)
46.92%
I work during the holidays (26)
20%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed