Maura Kat
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
hi all.
im so so lost and i hope someone can help me.

1) what books should i use for Cambridge's english literature?
2) what is the difference between CIE's English Language and English Literature?
methewthomson
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Maura Kat)
hi all.
im so so lost and i hope someone can help me.

1) what books should i use for Cambridge's english literature?
2) what is the difference between CIE's English Language and English Literature?
First things first. You're intending to study Eng Lit? Not good. I have my exams for CIE AS eng lit the coming June, and I am so mad at myself for choosing this subject, not only because it involves reading lots of stuff (There is your answer to your 2nd question: two plays, a full novel, a poem collection, for literature), but also because the examiners set questions which make no sense, and which are illogical. If you have are intending to choose between language and literature, I recommend language because it involves more creative writing, plus you don't have to read any novels, plays, etc. because it is language, not literature.

In AS eng language you will have to write an argumentative essay and a story for one paper, and analyze and comment on the linguistic features of two texts in the second paper, as well as writing a 150 words long response on the texts. The A2 component is different, though, because it involves analysis of spoken language, forms of written language, comparisons between spoken and written language or between two different forms of written language (e.g. an article and an advertizement)

On the other hand, English Literature is . . . one word: death. There are two papers at AS level: paper 1, drama. Paper 2, poetry and prose. You will have to choose two plays from the syllabus, and in the question paper you will have two options for every question: option a. will ask you to write an essay on characters etc. from the play, whereas option b. will give you a passage and ask you comment on some specific aspect (here is where the element of stupidity on the part of the examiner comes: he will ask thing X, and mean thing Y.) Similar options are given in the second paper in which you will have to answer two questions: one on the poetry collection (same a and b options, though I don't know how anyone can remember a poem, it's lines, words, etc.), and the other on the novel you have chosen (with the same a and b options).

If you are wise, after reading this explanation, you will immediately wipe off any thought of studying literature. Believe me, I know what this subject does to people. It gnaws on them day and night, makes their palms sweaty, gives them excruciating migraines, and what not!

Sorry if I was a little blunt. You know my exams are just around the beginning of june next month, so right now I am only a sack of bitter anger (the poet I have chosen - he's a douche bag, and some critic pointed out his "bitter anger" of a childhood trauma.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (7)
11.11%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.59%
Finding the time to revise (6)
9.52%
Finding the motivation (14)
22.22%
Getting distracted (10)
15.87%
Procrastination (25)
39.68%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads