The Student Room Group

Pixie Cut... Yes or No?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CJKay
Men have a tendency to decide on when somebody is an attractive partner very quickly (i.e. by looks), and at that point can be turned off by a crappy personality.
Women, however, often don't tend to place such pressure on men in terms of an attractive physique but more on an attractive personality (or assets, though increasingly less so nowadays when nobody has any :lol:), which means finding somebody attractive can often happen over time.

Obviously, that's not to say that both cases don't happen in both genders and the results are obviously very different for non-heterosexuals, but that is where their prevalence lies.

Huh, interesting. I didn't really know that. I guess that's true, I've known guys but not really thought about them in that way and then you talk to them for a bit and find them more attractive. But it doesn't necessarily have to be a long acquaintance, I know girls who get crushes at the drop of a hat.
Reply 141
Original post by manchesterunited15

As well as it being the Daily Fail, it was also based more assumptions being made about personality than "Is he hot? Yes/no".

Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Huh, interesting. I didn't really know that. I guess that's true, I've known guys but not really thought about them in that way and then you talk to them for a bit and find them more attractive. But it doesn't necessarily have to be a long acquaintance, I know girls who get crushes at the drop of a hat.

Sure - like I said, it happens. There're probably a few guys out there who have fallen in love over time, I just don't know any of them. :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Caitlin_3008
I think I'll need to make some little investments :wink:

No dont do it besides longer/ medium hair looks better on girls makes them look more feminine and nicer in my view.
Original post by CJKay
As well as it being the Daily Fail, it was also based more assumptions being made about personality than "Is he hot? Yes/no".

Sure - like I said, it happens. There're probably a few guys out there who have fallen in love over time, I just don't know any of them. :tongue:

I'm trying to think if I know any but none of my male friends tell me that stuff and my brother certainly doesn't :lol:
Reply 144
Yep, as I suspected, you consider yourself to be a special flower. "I don't adhere to the rules of biology, look at me!"

Pathetic :laugh:

There is no rule which states that I should spend my life basing my decisions on whether or not somebody finds me attractive.

Can you honestly not see how I couldn't care less what people think of the way I look?
We live in a messed up society where it seems that everybody is brought up to care about looks far too much.

I feel it is wrong to base your decision on someone entirely on looks, but hey - I guess you've all proved that I'm 'pathetic' for being like that.
How sad.

To me, personality is what is 'attractive', so to speak. I get that other people believe it is entirely based on looks, or something in the middle, but hey, that's my opinion.

Opinions aren't ever wrong. You can't be told what to think.
There is no rule which states that I should spend my life basing my decisions on whether or not somebody finds me attractive.

Can you honestly not see how I couldn't care less what people think of the way I look?
We live in a messed up society where it seems that everybody is brought up to care about looks far too much.

I feel it is wrong to base your decision on someone entirely on looks, but hey - I guess you've all proved that I'm 'pathetic' for being like that.
How sad.

To me, personality is what is 'attractive', so to speak. I get that other people believe it is entirely based on looks, or something in the middle, but hey, that's my opinion.

Opinions aren't ever wrong. You can't be told what to think.

I've never said that's what you should do. I don't do that, and very few people do. I've just said looks do come into it.

If you were given the choice between these two guys, are you seriously saying you would have absolutely no preference either way?
I personally think that a pixie cut can look gorgeous. However, it would help if you had defined cheekbones or something because on a slightly 'fatter' face I can't see it working
:smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 147
Original post by superdarklord
I personally think that a pixie cut can look gorgeous. However, it would help if you had defined cheekbones or something because on a slightly 'fatter' face I can't see it working
:smile:

A lot of people say my best features are my smile and cheeks, so I'm kinda hoping a Pixie would bring that out :smile:
I can't be sure that it will work at all though, so I just have to hope :wink:
I've been thinking about this for ages and I can't make up my mind, so I thought I'd ask the wonderful (and slightly opinionated :wink:) people on here for some opinions.

Right, I've been going through a lot lately, and I feel like it's time for a lot of change in my life. I'll be starting college in September, which I believe is a good time for a 'fresh start' so to speak.

I'm pretty fed-up with my hair at the moment, because it's too long for me to handle. I used to have hair down to just above my hips, and I cut it last year up to shoulder length. It's now down to below my boobs again, and in really bad condition. I guess having long hair just isn't my thing anymore :dontknow:

And, to those of you who'll say 'why don't you just put it up everyday', I do, that's the thing. I don't see the point of having long hair when it's always tied up or in a bun :wink: It's pointless.

What is it exactly that makes men hate short hair on women? :confused:

So, do you like short hair on a girl - what makes you have that opinion?

And if anyone on here has had experience with Pixies, let me know what you love or hate about the look :smile:

Here's a photo of the sort of length I'd go for:
Attachment not found

I do not know, I have had a pixie cut and I did not like having short hair... I got it pre-pubescent so I felt like a boy with it, although it suited my face I could not really do anything with it. And weirdly I craved doing things like braiding my hair, doing undos, curling it etc. also it is not as easy to deal with as you would think, you either have a good hair day 10% of the time or have a 90% bad hair day that gets messed up if it rains/ windy/ someone touches it. And finally when you grow it out, the I between stage between bob and pixie cut is horrible.... So that's my experience with it, and it has made me appreciate my hair that is nearly at my belly button....
A lot of people say my best features are my smile and cheeks, so I'm kinda hoping a Pixie would bring that out :smile:

Because you care what people think about your appearance, am I right?

I notice you haven't replied to my question. Admitting you're wrong?

In that case then go for it :smile: maybe ask a professional opinion on whether or not it would suit you. Also, straight hair seems perfect for it.
Www.thebeautydepartment.com have some great ideas for styling shorter hair, look at their hair section and see if you like the look of that.
Personally I love straight hair, mine has large loose curls and I hate that 'just curled' look, people ask me if I style it but to me it just looks frizzy and there's not much you can do because it has a mind of its own! The grass is always greener I guess :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 151
Because you care what people think about your appearance, am I right?
I notice you haven't replied to my question. Admitting you're wrong?

Nope, because I'm trying to make myself more confident with the way I look, so bringing out my stronger features would help.

Replying to you isn't necessary on this thread, because I don't want to continue your argument.
Nope, because I'm trying to make myself more confident with the way I look, so bringing out my stronger features would help.

Replying to you isn't necessary on this thread, because I don't want to continue your argument.

But anyone that cares about your looks is not worth knowing I thought? Everyone should care 100% absolutely only about personality.

Seems a strange time to make that decision, after you've continued the argument for a long time. All you had to do was answer a simple question, but I suppose as it exposes how ridiculous your argument is you would rather make up an excuse. Understandable.
The guys on this site have a real issue with short hair. I have a pixie and still get plenty of male interest, and wouldn't be interested in any guy shallow enough to write me off based purely on my hair. Of course I realise some men prefer long hair, but I think if it's a deal breaker then that is pretty pathetic.

If YOU want to cut your hair then do! Personally I love my hair short. Like you, mine is dead straight and so when it's long it's impossible to get any volume into and it just hangs there. Short hair is brilliant for bringing out facial features, particularly eyes and cheekbones. I would actually disagree with the idea of trying a bob first to see if you like it, as I had a bob once that did nothing for me and I grew out straight away, but loved my pixie from the start. I would base your decision on what you want to do with your hair and what a hairdresser thinks would suit you rather than what a bunch of people on a message board say though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 154
Original post by Millie1986
The guys on this site have a real issue with short hair. I have a pixie and still get plenty of male interest, and wouldn't be interested in any guy shallow enough to write me off based purely on my hair. Of course I realise some men prefer long hair, but I think if it's a deal breaker then that is pretty pathetic.

If YOU want to cut your hair then do! Personally I love my hair short. Like you, mine is dead straight and so when it's long it's impossible to get any volume into and it just hangs there. Short hair is brilliant for bringing out facial features, particularly eyes and cheekbones. I would actually disagree with the idea of trying a bob first to see if you like it, as I had a bob once that did nothing for me and I grew out straight away, but loved my pixie from the start. I would base your decision on what you want to do with your hair and what a hairdresser thinks would suit you rather than what a bunch of people on a message board say though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great advice, thankyou! :smile:
What is it about having short hair that makes you love it so much?
Great advice, thankyou! :smile:
What is it about having short hair that makes you love it so much?

It's easy for a start! I also think it's more flattering on me. I get far more compliments about my hair now than I ever did when it was long. It makes me feel more confident, and it also makes me put more effort into other aspects of my appearance, for example I ALWAYS wear earrings. It's not for everyone, some people don't like it and grow their hair out again straight away, but I think if you want to do it then go for it, particularly if you've wanted to for a while.
Personally I say go for it :smile: I used to have the same cut many moons ago and I loved it. It was so much more stylish, easier to manage and didn't get all knotty like my long hair now! I grew it out about 4 yrs ago because I felt as though it didn't suit me as much as long hair since I pretty much have a ball face lol. I did love the style though and how manageable it was.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending