interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Is there any particular explanation as to why this principle works at all? I've looked around a bit on the internet and haven't really found any site that gives a proper explanation as to why it really works.

Also, my teacher mentioned something about it not being applicable in certain situations. Could any tell me what these situations are and why it doesn't work in these cases?

Thanks for helping!
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Can only work in a closed dynamic system. If a reaction is reversible it'll occur.

This might be totally wrong, but maybe it's like a body's homeostasis. It's in a position it likes, if you get hot, your body cools you down, or a reaction moves in endothermic direction.

Perhaps?
interstitial
Rep:
?
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
Can only work in a closed dynamic system. If a reaction is reversible it'll occur.

This might be totally wrong, but maybe it's like a body's homeostasis. It's in a position it likes, if you get hot, your body cools you down, or a reaction moves in endothermic direction.

Perhaps?
I think it was something to do with large changes in a system and how it only applies to small changes, but I'm not too sure about that . I'll try and get back to him about it after the holidays.

Yes, but what makes it return to it's original state? The body stays at a constant temperature in order for the cells to function properly due to the enzymes and other stuff I probably don't know about, but what makes it so that a chemical reaction even has this 'liked' position in the first place? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Arithmeticae)
I think it was something to do with large changes in a system and how it only applies to small changes, but I'm not too sure about that . I'll try and get back to him about it after the holidays.

Yes, but what makes it return to it's original state? The body stays at a constant temperature in order for the cells to function properly due to the enzymes and other stuff I probably don't know about, but what makes it so that a chemical reaction even has this 'liked' position in the first place? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a stable position perhaps? A ratio of products to reactants that makes a stable system?

Again. I'm just speculating, no clue.
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
Science isn't all that great at answering these kinds of deep ''why'' questions :p:

The principle describes what takes place so we can better understand how such systems behave in given conditions and changes made to them. It's not an explanation for why it happens.
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It works to oppose the changes you made (by you disturbing the equilibrium).
swanderfeild
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it works because of need to preserve the constant. For instance take concentration:
Kc = [Reactants]/[Products] where Kc is a constant.
Now if you increase concentration of products, concentration of reactants must increase so that Kc doesn't decrease and vice versa. Same principle applies with pressure (keeping Kp).

Thats how I understood it anyway.
fizzers
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you think about it, it kind of is like negative feedback in homeostatis (echoing previous posters). I'd like to know why as well if there's an explanation!
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by swanderfeild)
I think it works because of need to preserve the constant. For instance take concentration:
Kc = [Reactants]/[Products] where Kc is a constant.
Now if you increase concentration of products, concentration of reactants must increase so that Kc doesn't decrease and vice versa. Same principle applies with pressure (keeping Kp).

Thats how I understood it anyway.
This is what I was thinking of! The Kc.

But then why a system has a certain Kc is the question.
swanderfeild
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is what I was thinking of! The Kc.
But then why a system has a certain Kc is the question.
Wouldn't a constant naturally arise due to nature of equilibrium? I mean because at equilibrium point rate of forward reaction must equal rate of backward reaction. If reactants are A and products are B, then k1[A]=k2[B].
k1/k2=[A]/[B] and since k1/k2 is a constant that can be said to be equilibrium constant.
interstitial
Rep:
?
X
(Original post by fizzers)
X
X
Second law of thermodynamics maybe? I'm just guessing here, but it seems to provide a 'nice enough' explanation for why the system has a certain equilibrium constant at a certain rate (as this is where it has maximum entropy, so that must be where the thermodynamic equilibrium is?)

This may also have something to do with it.
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wouldn't a constant naturally arise due to nature of equilibrium? I mean because at equilibrium point rate of forward reaction must equal rate of backward reaction. If reactants are A and products are B, then k1[A]=k2[B].
k1/k2=[A]/[B] and since k1/k2 is a constant that can be said to be equilibrium constant.
Hmmmm...
Second law of thermodynamics maybe? I'm just guessing here, but it seems to provide a 'nice enough' explanation for why the system has a certain equilibrium constant at a certain rate (as this is where it has maximum entropy, so that must be where the thermodynamic equilibrium is?)

This may also have something to do with it.
I shall have a read later! I probably won't understand anything.
fizzers
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dug around a little and this seems to explain it quite well. (I'm not familiar enough with those principles/ideas to know if they actually explain it or not but it appears so with my basic understanding :rolleyes:)
interstitial
Rep:
?
(Original post by fizzers)
Dug around a little and this seems to explain it quite well. (I'm not familiar enough with those principles/ideas to know if they actually explain it or not but it appears so with my basic understanding :rolleyes:)
Yes, I ran into this as well. The whole 'Gibbs free energy' thing seems to be a restatement of the second law of thermodynamics which suggest that the system will eventually settle into an equilibrium with maximum entropy, which is why they have a fixed Kc.

Thanks for helping!
fizzers
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, I ran into this as well. The whole 'Gibbs free energy' thing seems to be a restatement of the second law of thermodynamics which suggest that the system will eventually settle into an equilibrium with maximum entropy, which is why they have a fixed Kc.

Thanks for helping!
Aha, that's what I thought as well! Looking into the fluctuation-dissipation theorem right now.

No worries! I'm hardly helping at all and I'm very curious myself too (kind of surprised I never thought about it actually)
interstitial
Rep:
?
In a strangely curious mood today, appreciate it if anyone could help me with this. :puppyeyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (54)
29.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
8.15%
No I am happy with my choice (101)
54.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed