Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Unit 2 is coming up soon, and it's much harder than unit 1. How is everyone feeling about the exam?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

ReputationRep:
    Hopeless! I counted my marks from the unofficial mark scheme for Unit 1 and it looks like I got a U, so I will have to get an A to even bring it up to a D (I think)! How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lidiax)
    Hopeless! I counted my marks from the unofficial mark scheme for Unit 1 and it looks like I got a U, so I will have to get an A to even bring it up to a D (I think)! How about you?
    where can i find the official unit 1 mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariaxo)
    where can i find the official unit 1 mark scheme?
    I don't think they release the official mark scheme until at least a few months after results but if you go through the Unit 1 thread you should find an unofficial mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    I'm soooo scared for this exam!! It's the way they ask questions that I can't deal with

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I need to cram in the next 2 days cus ive only just started but I know I'm going to do so badly

ReputationRep:
    ive been getting Bs and Cs on past papers WITH the textbook! goodness knows how im gonna get a good mark without!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im ****ting bricks. Things which pisses me off is the markscheme changes everytime, so one year one answer would be suitable but then the year after it says ignore.

Anyone got any ideas of whats going to be included?
    I done a quick overview on the last exam so theres a possibility its NOT going to include:
    Amino Acid Structure, Collagen Structure + Hb Structure
    Enzymes, Inhibitors
    Phagocytes, secondary defence, non specific
    Process of phagocytosis - destroying pathogens
    TB (Infective agent), transmission and factors increasing chance of receiving
    Simpsons Index of Diversity
    Species Evennes/Richness definitions
    Diagram of DNA with Hydrogen bonds, structural difference between DNA + RNA
    Semi-Conservative replication
    Precautions of centrifugation
    Biodiversity definition + conservation reasons
    EIA criteria
    Diseases and genetic variation
    Process of selective breeding
    Classifications (fill in gaps)
    Phylogeny defintion

Just a really rough overview of that paper which I jotted down.

ReputationRep:
    Quick check- A lipid has 3 fatty acid tails but a phospholipid has 2 fatty acid tails and a phosphate tail?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby_W31)
    Quick check- A lipid has 3 fatty acid tails but a phospholipid has 2 fatty acid tails and a phosphate tail?
    A triglyceride has a glycerol bonded by ester bonds to 3 fatty acid chains. A Phospholipid has a glycerol molecule bonded with a phosphate group and 2 fatty acid chains.

No Problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby_W31)
    The term lipid is extremely vague in the OCR book, they are mentioning a triglyceride.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ned Stark)
    A triglyceride has a glycerol bonded by ester bonds to 3 fatty acid chains. A Phospholipid has a glycerol molecule bonded with a phosphate group and 2 fatty acid chains.

No Problem
    Yep that's what I meant Thanks

ReputationRep:
    WE WILL PASS THIS EXAM :youbetcha:

No matter how you feel right now, trust in yourself that you can do it, and you will do it.
    Just keep studying, because then, even if you end up with something lower than what you had expected to get, at least you shall know that you put in the effort and tried your best.
    Failing to prepare is preparing to fail, so prepare, and tomorrow you shall pass with flying colours

Also, watching these videos helped me in my revision:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrBioTom1

Try watching a couple before you sleep tonight to sort of wrap everything up.

All the best with the exam tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    I flopped last years paper but now I look back at it it's actually really nice questions why why why did I do this to myself loool

ReputationRep:
    I am sooo not ready for the exam tomorrow:// any ideas for last min revision?

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain how smoking causes lung cancer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evolve123)
    WE WILL PASS THIS EXAM :youbetcha:

No matter how you feel right now, trust in yourself that you can do it, and you will do it.
    Just keep studying, because then, even if you end up with something lower than what you had expected to get, at least you shall know that you put in the effort and tried your best.
    Failing to prepare is preparing to fail, so prepare, and tomorrow you shall pass with flying colours

Also, watching these videos helped me in my revision:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrBioTom1

Try watching a couple before you sleep tonight to sort of wrap everything up.

All the best with the exam tomorrow!
    Thanks for having faith in me! Even when i don't!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppppp)
    can someone explain how smoking causes lung cancer?

- The tar in cigarette smoke contains carcinogenic compounds
    - These enter your body and can't be removed due to the cillia being paralysed.
    - The carcinogens thus enter your lungs
    - It then enters the nucleus of the epithelial cells
    - Interferes with the genetic machinery of the cells and causes mutations
    - This leads to uncontrolled cell division
    - A tumour forms
    - This leads to cancer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evolve123)
    - The tar in cigarette smoke contains carcinogenic compounds
    - These enter your body and can't be removed due to the cillia being paralysed.
    - The carcinogens thus enter your lungs
    - It then enters the nucleus of the epithelial cells
    - Interferes with the genetic machinery of the cells and causes mutations
    - This leads to uncontrolled cell division
    - A tumour forms
    - This leads to cancer
    I also remember cigarette smoke also contains benzopyrene.
    And that the tumour doesnt have a programmed cell death.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 4, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.