Turn on thread page Beta

HEWLETT PACKARD DV6095EA vs. ACER AS5672WLMI-165 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Basically i need you to tell me what is the better laptop out of these two laptops: -

- ACER AS5672WLMI-165 - http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/572_325481.html

or - HEWLETT PACKARD DV6095EA - http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/572_341495.html

I need this laptop to do photoshop / video editing work plus the usual applications!

Thanks, dan

ReputationRep:
    Just a couple of questions first; are you dead set on getting one of those laptops, or would you be partial to some other suggestions? Also, what's your maximum budget for the laptop? I assume that portability isn't that much of an issue, as both of those laptops are a tad heavy (~3kgs), and hence assume that it'll be mostly deskbound. And, if that's the case, then you could get a much more powerful desktop computer for the same price. Anyhows, these are just a few things to consider. Please reply, and I'm sure that me and others will be able to help you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    Just a couple of questions first; are you dead set on getting one of those laptops, or would you be partial to some other suggestions? Also, what's your maximum budget for the laptop? I assume that portability isn't that much of an issue, as both of those laptops are a tad heavy (~3kgs), and hence assume that it'll be mostly deskbound. And, if that's the case, then you could get a much more powerful desktop computer for the same price. Anyhows, these are just a few things to consider. Please reply, and I'm sure that me and others will be able to help you out.
    Firstly, im guessing you like muse - - seeing them in november in cardiff so . Basically 800 quid is me tops id wanna spend, i'm doing a media degree so i will be using apps such as photoshop and avid, and i will be using the pc suites at the uni for majority of that kinda work. However, i want a laptop that could cope with photoshop and avid, just incase those suites are busy.. the main attraction of a laptop is purely the fact i could take it to lectures, sit outside around campus and occasionally take it to the near by beach to pick up on the free wifi areas! I know macs are the best, but theyre bloddy expensive... should i just forget thinkin i can do photoshop and video editing on a laptop thats gona cost under a grand then!?.. or would it work, just not very well?

ReputationRep:
    Of course, Muse rock! I can remember seeing them in a lightning storm at Reading festival a few years back which was fricking awesome - they were just doing the whole static/distortion build-up to Plug In Baby before there were a huge lightning strike really nearby, and then Matt Bellamy launched into the riff - it was fricking ace! :top:

Are you sure that you want to lug around a heavy(ish) laptop to lectures? 3kgs may not sound that much, but when you've had it over your shoulder for much of the day, it can get a little tiring. Still, if that's what you want, then I'll see what else I can find (although I'm sure either of the above laptops would be adequate for Photoshop/video encoding, since they're both dual core [which means that the multithreaded apps such as Photoshop can make use of both cores], and have a load of RAM) within your budget.

Macs aren't necessarily the best for these kinds of tasks, despite what the Mac fanboys may say, especially since Apple moved to using Intel chips, but the programs that you'd use (such as Photoshop) haven't been rewritten to run 'natively' on the Intel system. And yeah, the MacBook Pro laptops are bloody expensive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    Of course, Muse rock! I can remember seeing them in a lightning storm at Reading festival a few years back which was fricking awesome - they were just doing the whole static/distortion build-up to Plug In Baby before there were a huge lightning strike really nearby, and then Matt Bellamy launched into the riff - it was fricking ace! :top:

Are you sure that you want to lug around a heavy(ish) laptop to lectures? 3kgs may not sound that much, but when you've had it over your shoulder for much of the day, it can get a little tiring. Still, if that's what you want, then I'll see what else I can find (although I'm sure either of the above laptops would be adequate for Photoshop/video encoding, since they're both dual core [which means that the multithreaded apps such as Photoshop can make use of both cores], and have a load of RAM) within your budget.

Macs aren't necessarily the best for these kinds of tasks, despite what the Mac fanboys may say, especially since Apple moved to using Intel chips, but the programs that you'd use (such as Photoshop) haven't been rewritten to run 'natively' on the Intel system. And yeah, the MacBook Pro laptops are bloody expensive!
    :d Tell me about it.. can't wait to see them in Cardiff! Wanted to go to Reading this year but i was too late and couldn't get tickets !.. ANYWAY, went down pc world, just to see what their advice was and they said that nothing less than a 256mb dedicated gfx card for apps such as photoshop and avid, meaning i would need to spend around 1200 to get a good one. I keep changing my mind about the whole desktop/laptop thing, but i think i've decided now - gona build my own laptop and then get a cheapy laptop for around 350 quid for transportation etc. What graphics card would you reccomend to get for a desktop, which is reasonably price and going to deliver a good performance?

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.