The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
lol, thanks boss lady *high five* and bono, I got there in the end :tongue: !
Lucy
lol, thanks boss lady *high five* and bono, I got there in the end :tongue: !

And what's with the avatar? :eek: Noooo, bring the old one back! :tongue:
Reply 62
bono
And what's with the avatar? :eek: Noooo, bring the old one back! :tongue:

lol, why do you like my old one so much :tongue: ?
Lucy
Oo, was this at Hertford? My friend too had an inflatable sheep (physically thrown at her :biggrin: ) and was asked to sing twinkle twinkle little star. Infront of 5 grown men :tongue:

Yeah it was Hertford. i dont think they asked him to sing though! Did she have to get the attention of the guys at the beginning also?
Reply 64
Golden Maverick
Did she have to get the attention of the guys at the beginning also?

Luckily not but her interview experience was absolutely hilarious! One of the men kept setting up his computer to play weird sounds in the background (like techno beats and animal sounds) :biggrin:
Lucy
Luckily not but her interview experience was absolutely hilarious! One of the men kept setting up his computer to play weird sounds in the background (like techno beats and animal sounds) :biggrin:

Sounds funny but was probably pretty traumatising!

Hertford got in big trouble for their interviews though, loads of school complained! Not surprisingly in my view - not a brilliant way to select medical students.
Reply 66
Why did the schools complain-because the students couldn't prepare and it was unexpected. I suspect that in other parts of the interview they went into medical stuff, and they wouldn't have done it if they couldn't have judged people upon it....
Sounds like quite good fun to me... less daunting than being grilled on heart disease.
Reply 67
Golden Maverick
Sounds funny but was probably pretty traumatising!

Hertford got in big trouble for their interviews though, loads of school complained! Not surprisingly in my view - not a brilliant way to select medical students.

Oh, definitely - when I first heard how it had gone I was utterly shocked (and grateful that I had reasonably sane interviewers!). I think it's alright (and can be useful in seeing a person's personality) to have a bit of a tease but maybe not so harshly :tongue: lol, I wonder whether Hertford do this every year - anyway they are probably used to people complaining, the Ox medical school had already received loads of complaints before the interviewing had even started! In the end did your friend receive an offer?
Reply 68
Louise_1988
I suspect that in other parts of the interview they went into medical stuff, and they wouldn't have done it if they couldn't have judged people upon it....

Yeah, they did but still the applicants there were undoubtedly placed under more stress - I can imagine that some applicants would have been quite upset with it all. I guess the main arguement was that the true capabilities of each applicant couldn't have been shown in such an environment. However one could strongly argue though that an applicant isn't going to be a good doctor if he/she crumbles at the sight of an inflatable sheep. It was obviously done in a light hearted way and I would think that the successful applicants were the ones who recognised this and decided to give it their all anyway :smile:

As for it sounding like good fun, if you was a prospective medical student and realised how difficult it is to gain a place at a medical school anywhere, I think you would feel differently :tongue:
Reply 69
Sounds fine by me.

Its what is expected of normal doctors.
Reply 70
Lucy

As for it sounding like good fun, if you was a prospective medical student and realised how difficult it is to gain a place at a medical school anywhere, I think you would feel differently :tongue:

I didn't mean fun as in a fun day out at the theme park, but it would make a change from what you expected. The interviewers know that some people are "trained" through the interviews so have to find a different way to challenge people. I think if you approched it with a good, but serious sense of humour it would be easier. Slipping in a joke always lightens the mood and I think most would find this easier with the presense of an inflatable sheep. I think people need to look at interviews in a more relaxed manner. Of the people I know who are studying at Cambridge most are very clever but also have a sence of humour, are relaxed and can charm people; therefore they interview very well.
Reply 71
At the end of my interview the interviewer said "Well, I guess this is the part where I throw YOU out of the window". :smile: He probably didn't like me since I didn't get an offer...
Reply 72
Louise_1988
I didn't mean fun as in a fun day out at the theme park, but it would make a change from what you expected. The interviewers know that some people are "trained" through the interviews so have to find a different way to challenge people. I think if you approched it with a good, but serious sense of humour it would be easier. Slipping in a joke always lightens the mood and I think most would find this easier with the presense of an inflatable sheep. I think people need to look at interviews in a more relaxed manner. Of the people I know who are studying at Cambridge most are very clever but also have a sence of humour, are relaxed and can charm people; therefore they interview very well.

Yeah a sense of humour is quite important. At one point I got told my room "overlooked the bumpiest croquet lawn in Oxford." If I hadn't slipped a joke in there, or said something like "Does it", i'd probably have looked rather foolish. Part of having a quick mind, and being teachable, is the ability to be witty. And anyone who can't think of anything funny to say when faced with an inflatable sheep..

While you should not be flippant, I think if you approach the whole experience as uptight and tense you are a) not going to get the best out of it, and b) unlikely to get a place. You absolutely, positively have to be ready to laugh and joke. And i don't know as you can manufacture that using guidelines from one of these bollocks admissions books. You either have that one or you don't.
I cracked a few little jokes in my Nat Sci interview and got some laughs. Then I got out and remembered reading in the interview guide not to try to be funny in case the interviewer(s) had a different sense of humour to you. I got an offer though :biggrin: , so I assume that means we have the same sense of humour, or maybe my performance on the questions and test were enough despite the jokes, I don't know. I would have liked some of the ones on here though; I was looking forward to talking around my subject and was a bit disappoinsted that all we did was go over the test questions I'd got wrong and do a couple more.
I quoted the Bill in my law interview, and got in!
house badger
I quoted the Bill in my law interview, and got in!

I went on about carbon having 12 electrons.
Reply 76
androidkiller
I cracked a few little jokes in my Nat Sci interview and got some laughs. Then I got out and remembered reading in the interview guide not to try to be funny in case the interviewer(s) had a different sense of humour to you.

Its important to draw the line between being relaxed and looking a prat, I think highly sarcastic jokes are probably a bit of a no-go area, but just laughing at the odd thing, making a few jokes and showing that you can laugh at yourself are all important. You don't have to do a tommy-cooper syle stand up performance the minute you walk in!!
I couldn't pronounce Staphylococcus aureus which was a bit embarrasing. :frown:
Reply 78
fishpaste
There's the maths tutor at Oxford: "Can you write a formula that proves mathematics is interesting?"

I'd cry if they asked that. I suppose you can start thinking out loud, what is a formula, if I was on the spot I'd probably come out with something like a formula describes one or more quantity in terms of others, give an example. How can a formula prove osmething? Well it can show the behaviour of these quantities, so if you could write a formula which showed that a quantity acted in a certain way, say was always above 3, and that this implied that maths was interesting. Then yes I could write a formula which proved maths interesting.

One of my maths lecturers told a 'joke' that went like this:

Let S be the set of all uninteresting positive numbers. Suppose that S is nonempty. Then inf S is the lowest uninteresting number and hence an extreme. But extremes are interesting. Hence S must be empty and all positive numbers are interesting.

I suppose an answer to the above question could be formed along these lines.
Lucy
Oh, definitely - when I first heard how it had gone I was utterly shocked (and grateful that I had reasonably sane interviewers!). I think it's alright (and can be useful in seeing a person's personality) to have a bit of a tease but maybe not so harshly :tongue: lol, I wonder whether Hertford do this every year - anyway they are probably used to people complaining, the Ox medical school had already received loads of complaints before the interviewing had even started! In the end did your friend receive an offer?

No, unfortunately not. :frown:
And your firend?

Latest

Trending

Trending