Turn on thread page Beta

Odd interview questions... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My interviews were unbelievably mundane compared to the stories of flying inflatable sheep! That said, my second interview was very odd in that my interviewer didn't ask me a single question. He made very general and quite standard comments/statements instead, and I'm still not sure what I was supposed to say in reponse. I tried opining my view on what he'd said, but he didn't respond and so it all petered out a couple of minutes after he said something. Was I supposed to start having an extensive argument with myself? It was quite awkward and not much fun.

I must have got it about halfway right because I was pooled, but it was a very strange 'interview' despite the lack of 'Surprise me' demands and inflatable sheep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden Maverick)
    And your friend?
    Yeah, she did (so all the stress was worth it in the end )

ReputationRep:
    My friend got asked (in a Philosophy interview at Oxford)
    why there had been a decline in the popularity of squash during the 1980s!
    :rolleyes: Random or what? still she got in![FONT=Book Antiqua]

ReputationRep:
    I was waiting for strange questions to pop up for Economics & Management, but I never got any. Two questions were surprisingly straight forward that it kind of threw me for a second. >.<

They only asked me one question about my personal statement and the rest was all academic.

ReputationRep:
    Mine asked me if I could breakdance, to which I replied with a 'robot' and some dopaliscistic footwork.

ok so that's not entirely true, but try believing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by troyac_84)
    One of my maths lecturers told a 'joke' that went like this:

Let S be the set of all uninteresting positive numbers. Suppose that S is nonempty. Then inf S is the lowest uninteresting number and hence an extreme. But extremes are interesting. Hence S must be empty and all positive numbers are interesting.

I suppose an answer to the above question could be formed along these lines.
    I like that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    I like that one.
    How is rugby school treating you old boy? Still reeling from the loss against Lancashire's third best team at home?

ReputationRep:
    no. if u want to know.

ReputationRep:
    no. if u want to know.
    Good for you. I'd advise you to play Merchant Taylors at the end of next year (Ben Kay's school), you might just beat them...maybe.

ReputationRep:
    I like that one.
    That was confusing...although, why are all extreme values interesting? That is debatable. >.< <---sorry, bit of a dumbass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valcandy)
    I was waiting for strange questions to pop up for Economics & Management, but I never got any. Two questions were surprisingly straight forward that it kind of threw me for a second. >.<

They only asked me one question about my personal statement and the rest was all academic.
    What kind of academic questions were you asked? Any examples would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valcandy)
    That was confusing...although, why are all extreme values interesting? That is debatable. >.< <---sorry, bit of a dumbass.
    Extremes are always interesting to a mathematician. It's a JOKE, so don't take it too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    I know someone who was asked how many petrol stations she thought there were in america.
    That's a really good question, as in you'd have to sit and think about it, e.g. est population of america, then need for cars etc... and how that person thinks through a problem or if the can think around it at all. . But that's the thing about these sorts of questions they aren't there to catch you out. They make you think in a way you never have before. Which when you think about it, is one of the many things you have to be able to comfortably deal with at an interview. So they aren't really that weird after all.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm the subject rep for Natural Sciences at Downing, Cambridge. In response to some of your questions I can assure you that most of these alleged interview questions are most definitely urban myths! The interviews are designed to see how you can apply yourself in areas that you may not have seen before and it doesn't matter if the answer you give is right or wrong, merely that you thought it through in a logical manner. They are definitely not out to scare you or to make you feel stupid! There has been a great deal of effort put in to make sure that the interview process is as fair as it can be!

If you've got any questions on Downing, Natural Sciences, the application process or anything about Cambridge at all, please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Look forward to hearing from you!

James

ReputationRep:
    Well that just killed the fun of it all... Uh, James-person? I think the majority of us were enjoying the vast piss-take that is this thread, urban myths and all. How are you supposed to prepare for the unexpected unless you're slightly relaxed from the idea of an interviewer throwing an inflatable sheep at you? It's slightly hard not to panic about the interviews... but that said, the thread has a viable purpose. Stories of bricks through windows serve to remind us that the solution is easy, logical and staring us in the face. Valuable lesson when faced with antagonistic interviewers, who are exceptionally bored with interviewing people!

ReputationRep:
    Except I wasnt joking about the inflatable sheep or anything else. NOT an urban myth.

ReputationRep:
    From the Times Online website:

1 Do you have many hormones? I find girls get distracted by male mathematicians (to maths applicant, Oxford).

2 What effect on the whole of society does someone crashing into a lamppost have? (law applicant, Oxford).

3 Are people living on the streets mad if they can sing? (PPE, Oxford).

4 Give an example of two statements that can’t both be true but can be both false, and two statements that can’t be both true and can’t both be false (philosophy, Cambridge).

5 Would a good liar make a good lawyer? (law, Cambridge).

6 I have a horrible aunt who hates mathematics. Can you, without telling her of your feelings, convince her that mathematics is exciting? For example, a proof that once you’ve seen it makes mathematics seem completely amazing (mathematics, Oxford).

7 Tell me about a banana (medicine, Cambridge).

8 When is it acceptable for writing to be boring? (French and Russian, Oxford).

9 Calculate the average interatomic spacings particles in the room (chemistry, Oxford).

10 If we define fear as “something that can hurt us”, why are we afraid of spiders? (classics, Oxford).

11 In biblical times Joseph carried out the first buffer stock scheme. Why would he not be in the same position to do that today? (economics, Cambridge).

12 How do you define baldness? (experimental psychology, Oxford).

13 Why don’t plants have brains? (veterinary science, Cambridge).

14 Is the Eurovision Song Contest an example of living nationalism? (history and politics, Oxford).

15 Do you see me like a camera? (history of art, Cambridge).

16 Could there still be a Second Coming if mankind had disappeared from the planet? (theo- logy, Cambridge).

17 Is this can of corned beef safe? (medicine, Cambridge).

18 Is it possible to split a human brain in two and create two identical people? (PPE, Oxford).

19 How do you know if 2+2=4 in the past? (philosophy, Cambridge).

20 If it is 12pm, what is the exact time here in Oxford? (physics, Oxford).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmJ)
    4 Give an example of two statements that can’t both be true but can be both false, and two statements that can’t be both true and can’t both be false (philosophy, Cambridge).
    Yeah I got that one. If I recall correcly my answer was; Germany is all red, Germany is all green. ( Germany was the first noun which came to mind ).

ReputationRep:
    They then brought in an inflatable sheep (no not that) and asked him medical qustions based on it.
    Yea! when we went to Oxford for a open day, a Hertford Med student told us about the sheep story too... apprantly it was to get u to think in a unconventional way, the question went something like this:

(they inflated the sheep, and threw it at him)
    The they said: "Bob was a sheep herder in the Amazon rain forests, one day he decided to treat himself and eat one of the sheep, two minutes after he cooked the sheep and ate it (emmmmm), he died, there was no poison in his body or any wounds, why did he die?"

Can any 1 get this?

I was thinkin for ages b4 i had to give up, actually the answer isnt an answer at all, but it does make sense...

(Comon ppl try to answer it! lol)

ReputationRep:
    Did he choke?

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.