Spalinkor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Good evening,

I am a foreigner student and I got an offer from the University Of Sheffield to study International relations and Politics.

However, as I also got into a great university in my country, I was wondering about Uni of sheffield's reputation.

Is the university of Sheffield a well-respected uni ? Does it have a good reputation ?

Of course this is not the only way of choosing my university, but it is something to take in account ...

Thank you for your precious help !!
OMGWTFBBQ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not bad but not remarkable. It's a mid tier "real" university.

That said British uni's tend to punch above their weight abroad so it depends where you want to work afterwards.
Spalinkor
Rep:
?
(Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
It's not bad but not remarkable. It's a mid tier "real" university.

That said British uni's tend to punch above their weight abroad so it depends where you want to work afterwards.

Ho thank you for responding ! This is what I heard about the Uni overall, but the department of politics is said to be one of the best in the UK, is that true ?
And does the fact that Sheffield is member of the Russel group have an influence on its prestige ? (I lack information )
OMGWTFBBQ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Spalinkor)
Ho thank you for responding ! This is what I heard about the Uni overall, but the department of politics is said to be one of the best in the UK, is that true ?
And does the fact that Sheffield is member of the Russel group have an influence on its prestige ? (I lack information )
I don't know anything about the politics department in particular unfortunately.

A good rule of thumb is that russel group = good though.
Spalinkor
Rep:
?
(Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
I don't know anything about the politics department in particular unfortunately.

A good rule of thumb is that russel group = good though.
thank u
username944192
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The uni itself is good but like above, it's not a 'brilliant' one. Russell Group is good though certainly. And for your subject the Times ranks it as 3rd, coming second only to Oxbridge, which is a definite good sign.
polscistudent88
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The department of Politics at Sheffield is one of the best in the UK, at least for qualitative studies in the field. So it is certainly a good place for politics. In terms of reputation outside the UK I am instead not sure... my bet is that it all depends on how UK universities are perceived, in general, in your country and what you want to do afterwards/where you want to do that. Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, what's the other university? It's tough to advice you without the term of comparison... And don't forget to consider also finance (how much will you be paying at Sheffield vs the other uni?), location (do you like Sheffield as a city?), and modules (where can you study the things you are really interested in?).
Spalinkor
Rep:
?
(Original post by polscistudent88)
The department of Politics at Sheffield is one of the best in the UK, at least for qualitative studies in the field. So it is certainly a good place for politics. In terms of reputation outside the UK I am instead not sure... my bet is that it all depends on how UK universities are perceived, in general, in your country and what you want to do afterwards/where you want to do that. Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, what's the other university? It's tough to advice you without the term of comparison... And don't forget to consider also finance (how much will you be paying at Sheffield vs the other uni?), location (do you like Sheffield as a city?), and modules (where can you study the things you are really interested in?).
I also got into McGill, Montréal.
Thank you for responding !
polscistudent88
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would say that the reputation of McGill worldwide > Sheffield's. But in terms of research quality it's probably the other way round. You should probably look closer to the modules and location, to understand where you fit in best. And try to put these factors in perspective, thinking of what you would like to do afterwards. Hope this helps a little!
Spalinkor
Rep:
?
(Original post by polscistudent88)
I would say that the reputation of McGill worldwide > Sheffield's. But in terms of research quality it's probably the other way round. You should probably look closer to the modules and location, to understand where you fit in best. And try to put these factors in perspective, thinking of what you would like to do afterwards. Hope this helps a little!
This helps a lot ! Thank you !!
polscistudent88
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.05%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (118)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads