mapami
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
CAN EVERYONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS LIKE THEY WOULD IF SOMEONE FROM PRIMARY WERE TO ASK THIS QUESTION
thanks in advance
Tappouni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mapami)
CAN EVERYONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS LIKE THEY WOULD IF SOMEONE FROM PRIMARY WERE TO ASK THIS QUESTION
thanks in advance
Right, so you have a gene, which is a section of DNA which codes for a specific characteristic, such as hair colour, or eye colour. And an allele is a version of a gene, which would be, for example, for brown hair.

Within a population, whether that's a population of humans or giraffes, the 'gene pool' is basically a way to describe all the genes that are present in one interbreeding population. Humans will have different genes present to giraffes.
bookworm246love
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tappouni)
Right, so you have a gene, which is a section of DNA which codes for a specific characteristic, such as hair colour, or eye colour. And an allele is a version of a gene, which would be, for example, for brown hair.

Within a population, whether that's a population of humans or giraffes, the 'gene pool' is basically a way to describe all the genes that are present in one interbreeding population. Humans will have different genes present to giraffes.
great explaination! better than anything i can do

Posted from TSR Mobile
someone01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The different alleles (versions of genes) in a population. So, for example, if there is some sort of event that kills a lot of organisms (eg an earthquake) the gene pool for that population will probably be reduced because there will be fewer different alleles and only these organisms will reproduce so offspring won't have much genetic variety either and so on (I think this is some sort of genetic bottleneck but I'm not sure so don't worry about it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
ps1265A
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The total number of alleles in a population at a given time
Lamalam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Gene pool includes the allele for hair , eye colour and everthing that we can think off right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tappouni
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lamalam)
Gene pool includes the allele for hair , eye colour and everthing that we can think off right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure does
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nitpick: there are "alleles" for hair etc, not just one "allele" - most things about the body are not caused by just one allele, but by several in tandem.
Lamalam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Smaug123)
Nitpick: there are "alleles" for hair etc, not just one "allele" - most things about the body are not caused by just one allele, but by several in tandem.
Thank you Smaug123 would you mind telling me what is actually short tandem repeat?? is it a section of DNA but it is intron? I find this term quite confusing @@

Sure does
Thanks Tappouni
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you Smaug123 would you mind telling me what is actually short tandem repeat?? is it a section of DNA but it is intron? I find this term quite confusing @@
I'm afraid I'm not a biologist - I have only the haziest idea of what an STR and an intron are :P
Tappouni
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Thanks Tappouni
A short tandem repeat is basically a set of 2-5 base pairs which just keep repeating themselves...it's a section of DNA, and consists of only introns, so it doesn't code for anything.

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (61)
22.26%
Excited but a bit nervous (125)
45.62%
Not bothered either way (35)
12.77%
I'm really nervous (53)
19.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed