The Student Room Group

How to quit a volunteer job?

I volunteer at a charity shop every sunday and during my 'interview', I was asked how long I was going to be around for and I said six months, just to gain some retail experience and better my chances at getting a job.

Anyway, it's been around six months and I decided to leave, just to move onto something else. But the thing is, I don't know how to quit. Last month, I mentioned to the assistant manager (I rarely see the manager since I volunteer on Sundays) that I was thinking of leaving in May and I she asked why and I gave her the reason and that was the end of that really. After that day, I haven't volunteered in weeks because a) we were closed during easter break b) hayfever and c) uni exams.

So pretty much around a month and I'm so dead set on leaving but idk, I just get anxious telling them I'm leaving this sunday after not having volunteered for a while. I'm writing a resignation letter too, thanking them etc and I seriously considered posting this as opposed to giving it in person what with the whole gap of not volunteering.

So what should I do??
Reply 1
Write a resignation letter and thank them for all the opportunities they have given you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Butterfly92
Write a resignation letter and thank them for all the opportunities they have given you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I'm doing right now but I'm seriously considering posting the letter..
Reply 3
I would give it in person. It would make such a better lasting impression and you may want them to write a reference for you up for possible future jobs. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It would be better to go in in person, remember you may require a reference from them at some point and it is good manners. Having said that they will probably understand, you know them better than us do you think they would mind?
Reply 5
Original post by Tillsy
I would give it in person. It would make such a better lasting impression and you may want them to write a reference for you up for possible future jobs. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would it be ok to just show up and give it?
Reply 6
Original post by Chezsa
Would it be ok to just show up and give it?

Yeah it would be, possibly the manager would want to have a chat with you. Don't be nervous, you're only a volunteer and it's your time you've given to them! I felt the same after leaving a volunteer job at a care home but at the end of the day my priorities had changed and I needed to give it up in order to move on with other aspects of my life

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Tillsy
Yeah it would be, possibly the manager would want to have a chat with you. Don't be nervous, you're only a volunteer and it's your time you've given to them! I felt the same after leaving a volunteer job at a care home but at the end of the day my priorities had changed and I needed to give it up in order to move on with other aspects of my life

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok, I guess I'll just do that then :smile: Just turn up and give the letter in, though the manager doesn't work on Sundays so...
Reply 8
lol, seriously how hard can it be to quit? just don't go for a month and they will know you have quitted :P joke.

Write your manager a letter, simple.
Reply 9
Original post by Chezsa
Oh ok, I guess I'll just do that then :smile: Just turn up and give the letter in, though the manager doesn't work on Sundays so...

Ok sounds like a good idea. From my experience they understand that people have other commitments esp when you've mentioned exams before!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Chezsa

You could either

1. Give it to the most senior person working.
2. Leave it on the managers desk.
3. Visit on a day there working.
Original post by Tillsy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending