The Student Room Group

Optometry Students 2015

Hi everyone, wondering if anyone is thinking of applying for optometry(starting from 2015) ?

Scroll to see replies

I am hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile
What subjects are you doing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there I'm doing Biology Chemistry Maths Psychology currently in AS wbu?
Biology chemistry maths and physics. But plan to drop physics. Do you plan to drop anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it all depends on results day tbh but I want to drop psychology
Well it all depends on results day tbh but I want to drop psychology
Have you done any work experience? I just can't seem to get any in any opticians
Original post by OneLittleStudent
Have you done any work experience? I just can't seem to get any in any opticians

I'm not applying but have done work experience in an opticians and it wasn't particularly difficult, I'd suggest contacting some places that aren't the big chains, like run by one optician and have one shop, that would probably be easiest as that's what I done

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohh okay which opticians did you do it at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohh okay which opticians did you do it at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just a local one that is most likely hundreds of miles from where you are

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right okay, most of local ones I've rang up or emailed have all said we can't offer/accommodate it including specsavers and vision express and some non franchise opticians

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right okay, most of local ones I've rang up or emailed have all said we can't offer/accommodate it including specsavers and vision express and some non franchise opticians

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd recommend actually going into the shop and talking to them, much more likely to say yes then, just ask if you can help out in the shop and stuff, make it seem like you will help them and they won't have to go out their way for you

That's what I done but I did get to sit in on a couple eye tests at a point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right thanks, yeah I think I'll try that but some of them just say you will have tp speak to head office and give me a number. I've done a weeks work experience in a hospital and do volunteering at a society for Blind and Partially Sighted People. Do you think that will be enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right thanks, yeah I think I'll try that but some of them just say you will have tp speak to head office and give me a number. I've done a weeks work experience in a hospital and do volunteering at a society for Blind and Partially Sighted People. Do you think that will be enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seems like it to me, but I've not really looked into it sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
No worries thanks anyways! What are you thinking of applying to?
what kind of grades in GCSE do you really need to stand a chance???
I'm not too sure but for my GCSEs I got 8 A*s and 3 As and 4 distinction*s

Posted from TSR Mobile
No worries thanks anyways! What are you thinking of applying to?

Either chemistry, biochemistry or biological science, perhaps a bit of each

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest