The Student Room Group

Ancient Greek GCSE

The week after next I have 4 Ancient Greek GCSE exams. A verse literature paper, paper 1, paper 2 and sources. I was just wondering if any has done Ancient Greek and knows the best way to revise? I'm fine with vocab, I just need some tips on learning the endings (infinitive, optative etc) and have to revise for the verse literature paper? My verse literature paper is on Euripides, Ion. Any help would be appreciated. I have both John Taylor Greek to GCSE books and the Oxford Grammar of Classical Greek, as well as my two folders of work. Thank you
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Caseyleia
The week after next I have 4 Ancient Greek GCSE exams. A verse literature paper, paper 1, paper 2 and sources. I was just wondering if any has done Ancient Greek and knows the best way to revise? I'm fine with vocab, I just need some tips on learning the endings (infinitive, optative etc) and have to revise for the verse literature paper? My verse literature paper is on Euripides, Ion. Any help would be appreciated. I have both John Taylor Greek to GCSE books and the Oxford Grammar of Classical Greek, as well as my two folders of work. Thank you

Heya, I'm just going to move this to the classics forum for you as you should find more people there who can help you. :smile: You should have a look around that forum to find if anything there is useful for you! :smile:

Classics: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=191
Original post by Caseyleia

I took my Greek GCSE about 6 years ago so the syllabus has changed so I'm not going to be able to help you with the sources paper as I don't know what that is.

With regard to the verse paper, however, I would go through the translation line by line making sure that you know exactly how each sentence fits together and how the grammar is working. Make a note of the vocabulary that you don't know as well and keep looking over the set passages again and again to get yourself accustomed to how it all fits together and to help you, for want of a better word, memorise it. Make sure that you know the plot of the play as a whole as well I would say and how the passage(s) which you're doing fit into the play as a whole. From what I can see from last year's Helen paper knowing the myth is important as well. In short, good knowledge of the language, how the passages as a whole fit together linguistically and in terms of the wider plot and what each passage is saying (in terms of how the characters feel etc.) looks like the key things to know. Although last year's paper was on Helen rather than Ion, I would also look at it and the papers from 2011 and 2010 to see what sort of questions they asked. I'm sorry that I can't be much more help since the verse paper I did was rather different to what it is now.

For language, I would go through the tables in John Taylor's book and go through the grammar. One thing I found really helpful was printing off the grammar expectations within the specification and looking at each one and seeing if I could say how it was constructed/ what it looked like. E.g. indirect command - accusative and infinitive construction. Perhaps also look over the passages in the Taylor books again and try to translate ones which you haven't translated before or ones which you have translated, but some time ago.

If you have any questions, just ask. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by toronto353
I took my Greek GCSE about 6 years ago so the syllabus has changed so I'm not going to be able to help you with the sources paper as I don't know what that is.

With regard to the verse paper, however, I would go through the translation line by line making sure that you know exactly how each sentence fits together and how the grammar is working. Make a note of the vocabulary that you don't know as well and keep looking over the set passages again and again to get yourself accustomed to how it all fits together and to help you, for want of a better word, memorise it. Make sure that you know the plot of the play as a whole as well I would say and how the passage(s) which you're doing fit into the play as a whole. From what I can see from last year's Helen paper knowing the myth is important as well. In short, good knowledge of the language, how the passages as a whole fit together linguistically and in terms of the wider plot and what each passage is saying (in terms of how the characters feel etc.) looks like the key things to know. Although last year's paper was on Helen rather than Ion, I would also look at it and the papers from 2011 and 2010 to see what sort of questions they asked. I'm sorry that I can't be much more help since the verse paper I did was rather different to what it is now.

For language, I would go through the tables in John Taylor's book and go through the grammar. One thing I found really helpful was printing off the grammar expectations within the specification and looking at each one and seeing if I could say how it was constructed/ what it looked like. E.g. indirect command - accusative and infinitive construction. Perhaps also look over the passages in the Taylor books again and try to translate ones which you haven't translated before or ones which you have translated, but some time ago.

If you have any questions, just ask. :smile:

Thank you very much, this has really helped me!!!! I will definitely be using these tips :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Heya, I'm just going to move this to the classics forum for you as you should find more people there who can help you. :smile: You should have a look around that forum to find if anything there is useful for you! :smile:

Classics: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=191

Thank you very much!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending