JamesJones777
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I don't know which languages I want to study out of French, German and Japanese but I would like to spend my summer reading about all three. I have never been abroad so I can't talk about that in my personal statement so I really need to show evidence of further reading. The problem is I don't know where to start. Can anybody help me please? Thanks.
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
in terms of Japanese, you could read "The Making of Modern Japan" (would give you a good insight on Japanese history. When it comes to other Japanese reading, I'm afraid it's slightly more difficult to say, as you really need to go and discover Japanese literature/history/culture (whatever it is you're interested in reading) for yourself. I'm personally into Japanese linguistics, so have read quite a bit into that.

For German, I'd recommend Kleist, Hoffman or Kafka. There's a book on amazon called 5 short german stories or something (imaginative, I know) and it has both the german and English; meaning you can read in both and check the English if you don't understand any of the german.

sorry I can't recommend anything for French as I don't know, but I considered both german and Japanese at uni (now decided on Japanese) so had done a fair bit of research and reading into them both
Bambirina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JamesJones777)
I don't know which languages I want to study out of French, German and Japanese but I would like to spend my summer reading about all three. I have never been abroad so I can't talk about that in my personal statement so I really need to show evidence of further reading. The problem is I don't know where to start. Can anybody help me please? Thanks.
Hi I'm from France and I study Japanese.

For Japanese, I'd advise you to read books by Sensoki, by Haruki Murakami, a History of Japan,..
If you like stories of Ancient Japan (I love them), then try The Tales of Genji, Makura no soshi, Nihon-shoki, Kojiki, Konjaku monogatari, etc..

For French, short stories and novels by Maupassant, novels by Zola, by Stendhal, Voltaire, Rabelais.. Poems by Appollinaire, Rimbaud.. If you want something easier, Le Petit Nicolas books are really good and very important to French culture.

Let me know if you want some more/different ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
enimpri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm going to be doing French and German at uni next year so I know the dilemma you're in..
If you're looking at literature then for German I'd recommend Kafka (Die Verwandlung a must, der Prozess is also good), a Brecht play (Der kaukasische Kreidekreis for example), some Goethe and a bit of poetry (not to analyse, just to get a gist of how it sounds etc in German).

For French, the classic A level reads (if you won't already be studying one of them at A2) are Sartre (plays/novels), Camus (L'étranger, La Peste), some poetry like Baudelaire (Les fleurs du mal [although advance warning I tried these and had no idea what was going on....]), I'd recommend Hugo's poems just because they're nice to read, maybe try some novels which are a little older too? If it's principally personal statement reading I would recommend not going above 4/5 for each subject because A you won't fit them on your statement B you won't have gone into enough detail with them if you read too many.

Hope that helps
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Could I read modern Japanese novels or are older books more respected?

Posted from TSR Mobile
sophia5892
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JamesJones777)
Try Hiroshima mon amour - the Duras screenplay.
Not the best thing I've ever read but its dialogue is easy to follow, it's not that long, and it covers French and Japan in one go

To be honest I didn't do much further reading for my personal statement. I read one book for each of my 3 A Level languages.
Then for Japanese I mentioned Wild Swans (yes that's China but that was the starting point of my interest in East Asia), Memoirs of a Geisha (the point at which i focused my interest on Japan), Mineko Iwasaki's autobiography (another geisha book) and Tale of Genji.

I also mentioned films, anime and I went to a performance of Der Kaukasische Kreidekreis. And my GCSE Art and Textiles projects were focused around Japan so I mentioned that too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (305)
55.76%
I don't have everything I need (242)
44.24%

Watched Threads