is this a stupid combination? Watch

Shakespeare1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
im defo going to study AS english literature, AS maths, AS media studies and AS biology....those subjects are the subjects i really loved at GCSE so im doing those although i also love art but im not going into a career into art so i thought id drop it though it my best subject at gcse, the only subject im supposed to get an A* in.

well providing i get the GCSE grades next week, im doing them but is it a stupid combo?
cos its maths and biology
english lit and media studies?
2 arts and 2 sciences.

can anyone suggest other subjects which might fit in better in my combination. i might change my mind..but at the moment its what im doing.

would unis frown upon on me for doing media studies?
CalculusMan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Most people will just say, do what you enjoy and can get the best grades in.
random_bloke
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
do what you enjoy...simple as.

but that seems pretty rounded.
wackysparkle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
.hmmmmm depends on what u hope to do in the future @ uni yeah?
kizer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^^ Now is the time to start vaguely thinking about what you would do at uni. To be honest, your combination doesn't obviously lend itself to any course. If those are the subjects you enjoy most, go for it, but have a think about where you might go with them.
chocolatecheese
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dr_Evil_666)
im defo going to study AS english literature, AS maths, AS media studies and AS biology....those subjects are the subjects i really loved at GCSE so im doing those although i also love art but im not going into a career into art so i thought id drop it though it my best subject at gcse, the only subject im supposed to get an A* in.

well providing i get the GCSE grades next week, im doing them but is it a stupid combo?
2 arts and 2 sciences.

can anyone suggest other subjects which might fit in better in my combination. i might change my mind..but at the moment its what im doing.

the combination is fine
*Liana*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you want to study them go for it, you'll do better doing something you enjoy.
While there are uni courses that stipulate certain subjects, there are also plenty that only want one or don't have much of a preference.
MissSurfer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh... check out the uni entry requirements of anything you're thinking 'maybe' for.. yes it's early to think about it but you'll be glad later. Other than that, your combination seems fine. I must admit, media studies IS seen as a softer option, but from advice I was given last year when I chose my subjects, as long as you have 3 'solid' subjects (and you have), one softer one doesn't really matter.
Realist101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
do what you enjoy, rather than what is seen as traditional. i did subjects which many would not regard as traditional and got an offer from a very good university. go with what you enjoy.
crazynutter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its not a classic combination, but it shows that you can use all of your brain.

Maths, Bio, and Eng Lit are all really traditional subjects and so even if Media Studies is on the 'black list' you still have 3 'proper' a-levels.

Seriously just do the subjects you enjoy, and most schools will let you change subjects in the first few weeks of term. I changed bio to physics a week before the start of term and then dropped an AS in November of year 12 because 5 was too much for me.

And from experiance you will do so much better in subjects that you enjoy, rather than onces that your parents or teachers have picked for you. My friend took what she was told in year 12 and didn't get the grades she hoped for, she then started year 12 again doing what she wanted a she is feeling much more confident about result this year!
khil
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dr_Evil_666)

2 arts and 2 sciences.

Ok, well here are my AS Levels that I took:
Chemistry,
Biology,
English Literature,
Art.
(I got 5 offers from unis, applying for 5 different courses lol)

My boyfriend's A-Levels:
Maths,
Physics,
History,
English Literature.

And no, it's not a stupid combination. Look, if you love those subjects, go right ahead and do them! Who cares if people think it's stupid? Did you know not all unis took Art as an A-Level? But I know I will regret it forever if I didn't take Art. I dropped Eng Lit after AS because I thought I wouldn't need it anyway for a science degree and to this day I still regret ever dropping it. I wish I had done a full A-Level in it. I really wish I hadn't dropped it. And do you know how many more regrets I have over not taking a subject I had wanted to take, but because I thought it was "stupid" or "useless", I decided against taking them? And I also thought taking a humanities or Art at university was stupid and useless and pointless and I took Neuroscience instead, just to transfer so I'm restarting in Art History this Sep now.

Btw, having 2 arts and 2 sciences is by no means stupid - if anything, it's a good thing. It shows that you can cope with both fields and you're showing diversity, which universities love to see. And it's also useful if you ever wanna switch courses, as I did. If it wasn't for my A in AS Eng Lit, I'm not sure the Art History dept would've been convinced that I can write, and therefore would probably have rejected me. So you never know.

Moral of the story - no your combination of AS is not weird. Just take whatever it is you love. If you wanna take it, then take it. Don't let anyone change your mind, don't let practicalities change your mind. Don't even let job prospects change your mind. Job prospects are only good and useful if they're the jobs you want, and for that you need the right subject that will lead into those jobs that you will want. Trust me on this one - you WILL regret it if you do not take what you love. I am only too experienced in this already. Just go with your heart - if nothing else was in the way, if nothing else mattered, what would you take? And whatever you wanna take, take it.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If there are any courses you think you might want to take at uni, have a look at some prospectuses to see if there are any specific subjects you need, but otherwise your combination sounds good. Universities like students to have an arts/science mix because it shows they're well rounded and having one less respected subject won't matter when your others are traditional.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?