Turn on thread page Beta

Japanese PM visits war shrine watch

ReputationRep:
    China is very disappointed in the actions of Mr. Koizumi and demands an apology.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4789905.stm

ReputationRep:
    Certainly unhelpful, and doesn't do much for Japan trying to proove themselves as a nation worthy of permanent membership of the Security Council.

ReputationRep:
    France is a little concerned is to why Prime Minister Koizumi paid a visit to this war shrine. The last thing that is needed in the world today is a glorifiying of a former Imperial power's military past. We express worry at the fact that it is a memorial to fourteen people convicted of war crimes; we are afraid that this may begin to glorify these monsters too.

ReputationRep:
    We think that this is an internal Japanese matter, and thus should be kept at that. We urge Japan and its neighbors to ''try to solve the problem" through diplomacy. We understand the historical complexity of this issue and we hope that the concerned nations can solve this through cooperative diplomacy.

ReputationRep:
    How is this an internal matter?

ReputationRep:
    Hideki Tojo's war crimes certainly were not an internal matter.

ReputationRep:
    How is this an internal matter?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the shrine is in Tokyo, Japan, and the Japanese Prime Minister is visiting it. That is all inside Japan - thereby, it's internal.

ReputationRep:
    The shrine honors 2.5 million Japanese soldiers, including 14 who were convicted of war crimes outside of Japan. Therefore, this is not an internal matter.

ReputationRep:
    The shrine honors 2.5 million Japanese soldiers, including 14 who were convicted of war crimes outside of Japan. Therefore, this is not an internal matter.
    They're dead. They don't threaten anyone across borders (or within them for that matter).

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt matter if they are dead or not, they are war criminals glorified in this shrine. It's like Mrs. Merkel visiting a Hitler shrine.

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt matter if they are dead or not, they are war criminals glorified in this shrine. It's like Mrs. Merkel visiting a Hitler shrine.
    I hardly see how that qualifies as an external matter. Ms.Merkel is free to visit whomever she wishes.

ReputationRep:
    It's simple really- these war criminals massacred our civilians. They are honored and glorified in this shrine. The japanese PM paid his respects to them by visiting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiman)
    I hardly see how that qualifies as an external matter. Ms.Merkel is free to visit whomever she wishes.
    It's extremely irresponsible, and they shouldn't be suprised when they face retaliation outside. Anyone who says world leaders can visit shrines to war criminals who massacred civilians and not face a political backlash from other countries is extremely naive. Of course he can visit this shrine, its just extremely idiotic to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Oh great, just when I'm v busy as well, comment coming up, I just need to read up a bit

ReputationRep:
    It's extremely irresponsible, and they shouldn't be suprised when they face retaliation outside. Anyone who says world leaders can visit shrines to war criminals who massacred civilians and not face a political backlash from other countries is extremely naive. Of course he can visit this shrine, its just extremely idiotic to do so.
    Perhaps you misunderstood me then; I understand that this issue is delicate and intricate, it simply doesn't threaten intl. peace and security (unless China decides to attack Japan)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiman)
    Perhaps you misunderstood me then; I understand that this issue is delicate and intricate, it simply doesn't threaten intl. peace and security (unless China decides to attack Japan)
    Actually this issue a few years ago lead to quite a few Japanese deaths in China due to the anti-Japanese feeling it created, the relationship is already instable to say the least and it doesnt need the boat to be rocked, least of all by the Japanese.

ReputationRep:
    Japan feels that our prime ministers intentions in this matter are being misunderstood. We wish to glorify neither war nor imperialism. He said:

"I go there to remember and reflect on past wars, and renew our resolve never to go to war again."

"I do not go to justify the past war or to glorify militarism"

In a ceremony after the visit he said:

"Our country caused huge damage and suffering to a number of countries, particularly people in Asia," Mr Koizumi said at the ceremony.

"On behalf of the Japanese people, I sincerely express condolences to the victims with our deep remorse."

We acknowledge and deeply regret our conduct in the past and this visit is sobering reminder of the cost and horrors of war for our leaders.

ReputationRep:
    Surely he could make these comments without visting the shrine? He must must have known it was going to ruffle our feathers so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apollo)
    Surely he could make these comments without visiting the shrine? He must must have known it was going to ruffle our feathers so to speak.
    1stly for the same reason the thousands of English school children visit Flanders fields each year; such scenes can have a big impact. The site of all those graves is far more sobering than any other

He did not go their to honour the 14 war criminals. He said:

"'I did not go to pray for Class-A war criminals. I went to offer condolences to the many who died in war and with the resolve that (Japan) must not wage war again.''

There are efforts underway to remove the names of these war criminals from the shrine

ReputationRep:
    Australia regrets the decision by PM Koizumi to visit the Yasukuni war shrine on the especially sensitive date of 15 Aug. Australian FM Alexander Downer had visited Japan 2 weeks ago to relay Australia's concerns on this matter.

We are of the view though that while we should be mindful of historic events that have shaped the world today, we also do need to look into the future and focus on opportunities for cooperation and furhter development of the Asia-Pacific. The issue of this visits has been long-standing, and has only contribution to a strain in relations between countries in East Asia.

We also wish to remind the global community, lest they choose to continue questioning and interrogating the Japanese on this issue, that PM Koizumi is due to step down in Septemebr 2006. His most likely successor, current Chief Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe, has explicitly stated that he will not be making annual visits to the shrine. We hope other member countries will take comfort in this.

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.