Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=260226

^^ my thread a few weeks ago

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4793143.stm

^^ bbc story today.

interesting stuff. all reports seem to be blaming the online video of a laptop blowing up in a japanese conference as the main catalyst for the recall... i have a feeling it might have been my own laptop episode that tipped the balance.

ReputationRep:
    Click me biatch!
    Yes, other members spotted that as well.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking the same, it was a bit odd you made that post then a few weeks later there was a recall. Remember this site is the media as much as the BBC, and Dell may have seen your post and realise they had to act.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=260226

^^ my thread a few weeks ago

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4793143.stm

^^ bbc story today.

interesting stuff. all reports seem to be blaming the online video of a laptop blowing up in a japanese conference as the main catalyst for the recall... i have a feeling it might have been my own laptop episode that tipped the balance.
    Can you take any action against this? Your house could have caught on fire, not to mention harm to your self.
    Did you get a replacement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I was thinking the same, it was a bit odd you made that post then a few weeks later there was a recall. Remember this site is the media as much as the BBC, and Dell may have seen your post and realise they had to act.
    they know about the fire because i had to tell them about it all to get a new laptop from them.

for those who are worried about their own laptops/batteries, there's this website - http://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/ i would say that there isn't any need in worrying, as there only seem to have been a few cases out of the millions of laptops they sold in that period.. but it happened to me so nothing's impossible.

we should soon be receiving a compensation package for the desk that got burnt, though it's actually a bit annoying that dell have gone public about it, meaning that there isn't really any possibility of getting 'silence money', probably just replacement of damaged furniture. though i did seem to breath in quite a lot of lithium smoke at the time which wasn't fun.

here are some pics for anyone interested..

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell, your desk is properly scorched, and the laptop is a wreck. By the way, are they going to give you the same spec laptop back, or an updated one (as well as the desk compensation money)?

ReputationRep:
    almost identical laptop spec; just a new anti-reflective type screen as it's the newest model. and i presume that the battery is an ok one.. i should check actually!

we're still awaiting desk compensation money; it's taking a while to get a quote, send them the photo evidence (as in the pics above) and they're taking their time.

ReputationRep:
    here are some pics for anyone interested..
    nice mug.

ReputationRep:
    thank you. it's one of my favourites.

ReputationRep:
    i don't know why people keep blaming Dell for this, i would be asking questions to Sony as they're the makers of the batteries not Dell

ReputationRep:
    dell supply the sony batteries though; it's not like i had that much of a choice when buying my laptop which battery to have.

if aston martin started putting renault clio engine parts in their cars, who would you blame if the car broke down?

ReputationRep:
    i know what you're saying, and if my laptop did that, then i would probably be straight on the phone to Dell, but it's not entirely their fault in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    the only people who i can sort out it through are dell anyway.. i'm guessing that they're then going to have to have a go at sony about it all.

it could end up being quite expensive for dell.. my desk isn't a stand alone unit just resting on the floor, if you look at the pics it's all built into the actual room itself with the wardrobe wall next to it, a cupboard unit on the bottom right.

ReputationRep:
    Dell's responsible for the batteries since they're a component of a Dell product. If my car drops me somewhere because the suspension fails I'm not going to ask Bosch for help, but Nissan.

However, Dell is in its own full right to get Sony to pay, to sue it, or to share the damages. But that's their ticket.

ReputationRep:
    It's fantastic. Egg all over the faces of 2 of my most hated tech companies. Must have been scary though, Silence - what with the laptop deciding to self destruct! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It seems as though Sony (the battery suppliers) have made a ****-up with more than just Dell; their batteries that feature in some Apple notebooks are also being recalled - 1.8 million of them in total.

Apple recalls 1.8M iBook and PowerBook G4 batteries

ReputationRep:
    Will Sony start recalling their own batteries from their Vaio laptops too? I am concerned about all these recalls...

ReputationRep:
    Apple get the treatment now aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sijia)
    Will Sony start recalling their own batteries from their Vaio laptops too? I am concerned about all these recalls...
    Well, they haven't announced so publicly as of yet, so there's nothing you can do until you hear something. For all we know, all the VAIO batteries may be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Bit funny that none of the VAOI batteries have been recalled. It's like Sony gave everyone else the bad stuff, and is paying for it themselves. Bizare.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.