Of Mice and Men and To Kill a Mocking Bird axed by Michael Gove

Watch
lkaratu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
"Michael Gove axes 'Of Mice and Men' and 'To Kill a Mockingbird' from GCSE syllabus http://fw.to/y3NDaQm"

Thoughts and opinions?
kpofsuburbia
  • Study Helper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What?! I loved OMAM at GCSE, it's one of my favourite books! Seriously, he's doing the education system no favours with any decision he makes...

Posted from TSR Mobile
FranticMind
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lame. Hopefully teachers will still make them assigned reading.
MidnightDream
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I didn't do of mice and men as it was a lower set book but I did to kill a mockingbird and to be honest I didn't like it but I don't see why he should get rid of it. I think he needs to stop and seriously think about all the changes he's making because he's doing no one any favours
GCSEsitter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tbh Romeo and Juliet contains much more violence, explicitness and puns but because it is so well known no one pays a second thought
TEAMMAGMA
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They should probably read Lord Loss instead.
thecookiefreak
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That is stupid on his part.I had the pleasure of reading both those books and I think they should be kept - they are accessible - easy to understand and teach children, especially during a time when they are leaving school and going to be experiencing change - an insight into life. With OMAM you learn the beauty of companionship and in both books you are shown the history of racism and how black people were treated and how women were treated in society and how that has changed. It helps people form opinions on issues today - such as sexism or racism.
lkaratu
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by kpofsuburbia)
What?! I loved OMAM at GCSE, it's one of my favourite books! Seriously, he's doing the education system no favours with any decision he makes...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I loved OMAM too, so many different ways it can be interpreted ans thats the beauty of it. I totally agree all of the decisions he is making are not doing any good! Grade boundaries will drop this year because we have had to remember two years work in one.
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just annoyed that he didn't drop 'The Woman in Black'. Biggest piece of BS I have read in my life.
bookworm246love
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what? i really enjoyed of nice and men :sobb: he wanted to axe latin too :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
kpofsuburbia
  • Study Helper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lkaratu)
I loved OMAM too, so many different ways it can be interpreted ans thats the beauty of it. I totally agree all of the decisions he is making are not doing any good! Grade boundaries will drop this year because we have had to remember two years work in one.
I know, that's one of the reasons I love it! I don't do exams (BTEC) but seeing everyone suffer with linear courses is ridiculous- soon he'll be wanting universities to be linear as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
DragonSlayer666
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
he dropped both of the books because it wasn't english heritage. what was the point of dropping both when both of them is a well established book in schools.
bookworm246love
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DragonSlayer666)
he dropped both of the books because it wasn't english heritage. what was the point of dropping both when both of them is a well established book in schools.
exactly - cool user name by the way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good.

I did OMAM 25 years ago. It was irrelevant then and still is now. Every book I ever did in literature was rubbish.

How long do they want to hold on to these texts which are either extremely mediocre or in no way related to the readers?
DragonSlayer666
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bookworm246love)
exactly - cool user name by the way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks
lifescomplexity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for making this thread.
I'm really angry about this - I am an English Lit GCSE student (OCR, just finished my exams) and I did TKAM. It's one of my favourite books and I personally believe that it should be compulsory for everyone (regardless of exam board) at GCSE, as I think it's a very important (as well a damn good) book. I have hated all of Gove's reforms so far but even I couldn't have imagined that he would strike off texts such as TKAM and OMAM just because they are not written by British authors.
Disgusting.

Anyone know of a campaign I can join to protest against these/Gove's other reforms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
honeywhite
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lkaratu)
"Michael Gove axes 'Of Mice and Men' and 'To Kill a Mockingbird' from GCSE syllabus http://fw.to/y3NDaQm"

Thoughts and opinions?
I wouldn't even manure my garden with anything written by John Steinbeck---the plants will wilt. To Kill a Mockingbird, on the other hand... well, that was special. Gave me a taste for the Law.
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Really doesn't matter.

Axing those books doesn't prevent people from being recommended them or reading them. There are thousands of other great books that young people can also read.
thenextchemist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just because it's not from an English Heritage doesn't mean he can drop it.
Of Mice and Men was boring but it was such an interesting book.
I've learnt so much history from the book I love it.
It's a shame
On a positive note, students may be able to study modern books such as Harry Potter or The Hunger Games which is what the majority would like when I had asked them.
Covington4
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OMAM is overrated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (40)
5.96%
Uncertainty around my education (78)
11.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
10.73%
Lack of purpose or motivation (85)
12.67%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (37)
5.51%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (37)
5.51%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (72)
10.73%
Financial worries (42)
6.26%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (29)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (40)
5.96%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (21)
3.13%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (65)
9.69%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (53)
7.9%

Watched Threads