What does this say about UKIP supporters? Watch

Rlove95
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...cultured-elite

A Ukip councillor has blamed London's "more media-savvy and educated" population for the party's lack of success in the capital as local election results indicate an emerging geographical split in the party's popularity.A political gulf between the capital, where Ukip won only a handful of seats, and the rest of England, which saw the party rise to prominence in many places where it previously had no presence, was appearing as a distinct pattern in the results on Friday.
One psephologist estimated that Ukip had polled 7% in the local elections in London, compared with 25% across the rest of the country.
Suzanne Evans, a former Tory Merton councillor who defected to Ukip but lost her seat, told the BBC: "[In London, voters] are more likely, I think, to have read some of the negative press that's been about us, and I think they'd be more likely to believe it, whereas people outside of London have, I think, been fairly cynical about the media campaign and the campaign that the other parties have waged against us."
She suggested the "educated, cultured and young" in the capital were less likely to vote for Ukip, and claimed the party was unlike the "metropolitan elite" in being able to understand the "heartache" felt by the rest of England.]
Isn't this a bit of an insult to UKIP voters by insinuating that UKIP supporters are less-educated, less cultured and less media savvy? I don't really get how being more educated and cultured makes you more prone to media bias, I'd think the opposite tbh.

While on the subject of UKIP's failure in London, isn't it ironic that the place arguably most affected by immigration is less privy to UKIP's 'charms' and before someone uses the argument that London has a lot of immigrants who would obviously not vote for UKIP,
93% of the people who voted in the elections that didn't vote UKIP could not all be immigrants, could they ?
abbasahmed786
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I voted UKIP, I'm asian and I ****ing hate IMMAGRATION!
Me123456789
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by abbasahmed786)
Why? Did an immigrant take your seat when you were being taught how to spell immigration?
User1248243
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wonder if your mum or dad had been one of those immigrants that wasn't allowed into this country.
Sheer hypocrisy. You would probably be living in some slum like poor conditions begging for food. Don't forget your roots you so called "asian", along with your spelling "immigration".
Snagprophet
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
UKIP aren't even against immigration, they only want skilled immigration.
Bulbasaur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm assuming this was a joke.
Civil Dispute
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)
UKIP aren't even against immigration, they only want skilled immigration.
Didn't they say they'd rather have the more skilled immigrants staying in their own countries to make it more economically prosperous as opposed to being tea workers in the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile
User1248243
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rlove95)
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...cultured-elite

Isn't this a bit of an insult to UKIP voters by insinuating that UKIP supporters are less-educated, less cultured and less media savvy? I don't really get how being more educated and cultured makes you more prone to media bias, I'd think the opposite tbh.

While on the subject of UKIP's failure in London, isn't it ironic that the place arguably most affected by immigration is less privy to UKIP's 'charms' and before someone uses the argument that London has a lot of immigrants who would obviously not vote for UKIP,
93% of the people who voted in the elections that didn't vote UKIP could not all be immigrants, could they ?
No, it's a huge insult, but a true one at that.
It's easy to blame immigration for everything like the Nazis did with the Jews, without doing anything else that is positive or addresses the situation.

Low wages = trade unions needed + no exploitation
No houses = new houses on brownfield sites and restrictions for oligarchs who cause inflation in london + more social housing that give people a step up
"stealing benefits" = go after corporation tax and individuals who avoid it and evade it £billions compared to a few hundred. Also for the argument that they will leave, London and England is a peaceful place, not everyone will migrate to Switzerland, that is a fallacy you all believe so they don't have to pay tax.
Snagprophet
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Civil Dispute)
Didn't they say they'd rather have the more skilled immigrants staying in their own countries to make it more economically prosperous as opposed to being tea workers in the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, the aim is for a points based system like Australia for specific skills. At least this way, people can't moan about people taking jobs when it's obvious where the skills are lacking.
Civil Dispute
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)
No, the aim is for a points based system like Australia for specific skills. At least this way, people can't moan about people taking jobs when it's obvious where the skills are lacking.
I don't think it's a terrible idea. However, the more skilled the immigrants, the better jobs they'd seek. People already complain that they take jobs Brits don't want, so surely that'll be exacerbated if they work in professions people actually desire?

Posted from TSR Mobile
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Civil Dispute)
I don't think it's a terrible idea. However, the more skilled the immigrants, the better jobs they'd seek. People already complain that they take jobs Brits don't want, so surely that'll be exacerbated if they work in professions people actually desire?
the point is that the skills for which they can gain entry are skills in which a shortage exists.
OMG TOOTHBRUSH
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
From that article it seems that she actually said: "[In London, voters] are more likely, I think, to have read some of the negative press that's been about us, and I think they'd be more likely to believe it" and it's the Guardian twisted this and wrote: "She suggested the "educated, cultured and young" in the capital were less likely to vote for Ukip, and claimed the party was unlike the "metropolitan elite" in being able to understand the "heartache" felt by the rest of England."

So the journalist writing that article has put words in her mouth to make up what they think she meant to portray her in the worst possible light. I didn't vote UKIP and disagree with all the policies of theirs I've seen, but I can understand why people voted for them as a protest vote when they see other parties and the press are so biased against them like this.
HashimKF
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
UKIP voters are dribblers who want something to blame for them not having employment, other than the fact that they're useless to society.
Falcatas
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HashimKF)
UKIP voters are dribblers who want something to blame for them not having employment, other than the fact that they're useless to society.
That kind of attitude is why people are voting for UKIP.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...in-beyond.html
HashimKF
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Falcatas)
That kind of attitude is why people are voting for UKIP.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...in-beyond.html
I read it but don't see what it has to do with my point. UKIP doesn't believe in global warming, are pro-fracking and think every issue in the UK revolves around immigration. There are jobs in this country, but for the most part immigrants work harder than the entitled youngsters we have in the UK.
The only thing I agree with UKIP on is scrapping HS2. I'm surprised the plans for it have gotten this far tbh.

There are much realer issues than immigration in our country but the media just loves fueling this topic.
Falcatas
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HashimKF)
I read it but don't see what it has to do with my point. UKIP doesn't believe in global warming, are pro-fracking and think every issue in the UK revolves around immigration. There are jobs in this country, but for the most part immigrants work harder than the entitled youngsters we have in the UK.
The only thing I agree with UKIP on is scrapping HS2. I'm surprised the plans for it have gotten this far tbh.

There are much realer issues than immigration in our country but the media just loves fueling this topic.

There is nothing wrong with being pro-fracking. Most of the cost of living crisis is because of high energy bills due to green subsides on inefficient forms of energy.

Immigration is one of the most important issues according to public, it may not do with "job stealing" but also strains on public services, housing lists and school places. Some people are entitled and I disagree when they claim immigrants are "stealing jobs" but the strains on public services is very real.
Rlove95
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH)
From that article it seems that she actually said: "[In London, voters] are more likely, I think, to have read some of the negative press that's been about us, and I think they'd be more likely to believe it" and it's the Guardian twisted this and wrote: "She suggested the "educated, cultured and young" in the capital were less likely to vote for Ukip, and claimed the party was unlike the "metropolitan elite" in being able to understand the "heartache" felt by the rest of England."

So the journalist writing that article has put words in her mouth to make up what they think she meant to portray her in the worst possible light. I didn't vote UKIP and disagree with all the policies of theirs I've seen, but I can understand why people voted for them as a protest vote when they see other parties and the press are so biased against them like this.
No those are the words she used otherwise they wouldn't have put it in quotation marks. Other newspapers have covered this not just Guardian, using the exact same words.
HashimKF
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Falcatas)
There is nothing wrong with being pro-fracking. Most of the cost of living crisis is because of high energy bills due to green subsides on inefficient forms of energy.

Immigration is one of the most important issues according to public, it may not do with "job stealing" but also strains on public services, housing lists and school places. Some people are entitled and I disagree when they claim immigrants are "stealing jobs" but the strains on public services is very real.
Global warming is largely accepted by the scientific community and governments need to start basing their policies on evidence.

fracking is terrible forthe environment, wastes water and is not a true long term investment. It just reduces our reliance on importing fuel but still contributes to global warming. We should be helping people make their homes energy efficient and run off renewable energy. If as much investment was put into renewable energy as our defence budget we would never have to use fuel again.

i agree that immigration is an issue but not nearly as important as the media makes it out to be. Can't get a job? Blame immigration. Prices gong up? Blame immigration. Bad NHS service? Blame immigration.
you see where I'm going with this. Our government spends their budget like morons, allows billions to be lost from tax evasion as their too busy taxing people with a spare bedroom or arresting people committing victimless crimes like smoking a joint.

I would say most UKIP voters, used the EU election as a protest against the main parties.

I'll be surprised to see UKIP get in the top 3 in the general election.

edit: apologies for any spelling errors or typos. my iPad is being damn slow and messed up.
carlisomes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't get why UKIP is racist. So Labour and Conservative members haven't said racist comments before haha...(google Pakistanis are ten a penny, then lobby Cameron that his party is "racist")...

I don't see why we can't have a quota, or a lottery system like the US does.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
in terms of that counsellor saying that "uneducated people vote for UKIP~", I'm educated (e.g. russell group uni-educated with straight As and beyond for a level) and I have nothing (within obvious boundaries) against UKIP when you compare their policies to the other parties. if you are a democrat such as myself (which is a perfectly legitimate objective politically) then there's nothing at all objectionable with a desire to leave the european union seeing as it has a grossly undemocratic structure with all things considered (especially the executive branch) and even with the elected parliament, our laws should be legislated by our own politicians, not politicians we (meaning the british population) didn't vote for (as in the EU parliament we are composed of roughly 10% of our own country's MEPs)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (46)
27.22%
No (123)
72.78%

Watched Threads