retakes?...right or wrong choice??? Watch

jinz29
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
hey everyone,

i need some advice, i'll get my alevel results this thursday and hopefully get the 3 B's i need for the pharmacy course at King's. IF i dont, ive thought about retakes. but im scared on whether or not its good idea. i dont want to go thru the whole alevel experience a second time and find out i have failed yet again.

im thinking of retakin in this year i.e. sittin the exams in the january coming up. then i'll work the rest of the year.

is there anyone who has found it really beneficial retaking and reapplying, as oppose 2 studying a completly different course.

i'd also like to know if anyone is a resit candidate and has been offered a place at Kings (as thats where i REALLY wna go)...wot grades would they ask 4 this tym round??

x
LorenRB87
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm sorry I'm answering although i don't really have any expiriences in retaking. but i've heard that some universities are sceptical about retakes and if they'd offer you a BBB for the first time round, they might want an AAB for the retakes or something like that. it depends on the university you want to go to. you'd better talk to admissions staff or something.
mysteryman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would like to know the same thing. As if i don't get the grades i am set on still doing pharmacy. I think that they may give you a second offer second time as long as you got a B in chemistry 1st time and only dropped a grade on other subjects. We will know soon enough though as if i do not get my grades i'll ask the admission tutors their opinions.
ManiS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
dont worry folks. my brother re-took this year after failing quite miserably last yr with something like EEE and he was offered a place at all 6 pharm courses which he re-applied to for a second time. yes! they included kings (ABB), ulsop, aston, notts, bradford and de montfort. so its quite possible and actually very likely you will get in after re-taking jus as long as you embellish your grades and personal statement.

my 2 cents...
mysteryman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
thanks manisingh that actually makes me feel better about getting my grades tomorrow.
jinz29
(Original post by mysteryman)
thanks manisingh that actually makes me feel better about getting my grades tomorrow.
:ditto: !!
jinz29
(Original post by manisingh)
dont worry folks. my brother re-took this year after failing quite miserably last yr with something like EEE and he was offered a place at all 6 pharm courses which he re-applied to for a second time. yes! they included kings (ABB), ulsop, aston, notts, bradford and de montfort. so its quite possible and actually very likely you will get in after re-taking jus as long as you embellish your grades and personal statement.

my 2 cents...
hi manisingh, can i ask if your brother got the grades he needed this yr? will he study pharmacy in september? thanks
ManiS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hi my brother got BBBb this yr in chem, maths, physics, and bio respectivly. he got accepted by his firm choice nottingham. Nottingham normally make ABB offers but he managed to super impress them at interview so his offer was just BBB. If you havnt done well as you had hoped just dont be disheartained and press down hard with your work next yr. Its always benificial to have a kick ass personal statement so its something you can get started on right now. To excell at interview i recomend you read over a few recent medical/pharmaceutical developments for your interview and somehow incorporate them in you answers - this will certainly put you head and shoulders with the top applicants. Remember to manipulate the questions and make them work for you. My brother disscussed a phase 1 clinical trial in his interview which led to a few fetalities and some terminaly ill patients as the drug somehow immunocompromised the patient (something pertianing to the elephant sydrome at time- cant remember exaclty what). Anyway he got lower offers than normal both from notts (BBB) and bradford (BCd).

good luck all

my 2 cents...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (16)
30.77%
No - I got the required grades (29)
55.77%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (7)
13.46%

Watched Threads