The Student Room Group

AQA DT Prod3 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RyanFidler
Within regards to the paper i dont think they would repeat the questions they put up, they might on this paper but similarly i dont think AQA are going to repeat a question on Iconic design. Ive got a feeling alot of the business element of products is going to come up and the influences of past/present designers. I feel they may say something like " Explain how Art Deco and Modernist movement have influences design and the revolution of products" I hope development of technology comes up since theres so much to talk about for that. Just hope its a easy paper looking at last years paper looked pretty fair. Just hope the same occurs again.

A question on iconic design wud be great, questions on AS wud be good too such as materials.
Iconic design is such a easy ass question to get it would probs be worth like 10 marks or 14 marks at the max, but a easy 14 or so marks guaranteed. I just feel there going to do more of like product life cycle, marketing function in relation with design movements, maybe some comparison of products on the insert sheet in term of aesthetics, materials etc. Just hope its a nice paper.
Reply 22
Iconic design is such a easy ass question to get it would probs be worth like 10 marks or 14 marks at the max, but a easy 14 or so marks guaranteed. I just feel there going to do more of like product life cycle, marketing function in relation with design movements, maybe some comparison of products on the insert sheet in term of aesthetics, materials etc. Just hope its a nice paper.

Ur gna do good on the paper anyway bro - no need to worry.

im the one who shud be worrying - got 3 exams on that day including this one - and im focusin more on the other subjects..
Original post by Trilo9y
Ur gna do good on the paper anyway bro - no need to worry.

im the one who shud be worrying - got 3 exams on that day including this one - and im focusin more on the other subjects..

Hmm depends on the questions that come up on the day. Im sure youll be fine man :P
What can they ask about design movements? How can i applied it in my answers?

How are you guys going to structure your essay ?
Original post by Dezza1994
What can they ask about design movements? How can i applied it in my answers?

How are you guys going to structure your essay ?

The may ask how have present designs eras influenced products today. For example, they may ask you to explain how modernist principles or bauhaus principles have influenced how products are today such as, form follows function, everyday objects for everyday people, geometrically pure and for a machine age. All of which products today follow the relevant criteria. It may be a 24 mark answer which they may ask you to compare with one another of designers eras etc. You just dont know. But, the exam book does specify you need to be aware of them and how they have influenced design today.

With regards with structuring my essay, I am going to spend 5 mins planning of a mind map of the key points, intro point, main section, then a conclusion. Always make sure you keep answer the question. Then when im going through my essay i will simply cross of the points ive mention. Also, always ask your self why when making a point in relation to the question.
Could anybody help me please.
I got 78/80 AS and 85/85 A2 for my coursework.
I resat the AS paper and I think it went ok.

Could anybody help me work out (or tell me) what marks I need to get in the AS and A2 paper to get an A overall?

Thank you x
Hey, i'm doing this exam too :smile:
Someone asked before about iconic design criteria? This website is quite good with the criteria so it might be worth having a look. http://www.technologystudent.com/prddes1/icon1.html Hope it helps anyway
I can't quite decide what i think about this exam, i just really hope applications of materials or finishes come up because you can't get a lot of marks from them but they've come up recently so i don't think they will :/
I agree with "RyanFidler" with that a design movement related question will come up because nothing like that has come up before as well as the developments in technology with regards to a radio etc. Although there was a sample question in the specimen paper that came up. When it says developments in recent years for a radio, do you think I could talk about it from the 1930s or does it actually have to be from like 2000 onwards because there has been more developments from the 1930's to now than 2000 to now.

Does anyway have the markscheme for the june 2010 paper? I've just done the paper but i can't find a markscheme!
Hey Ellie, To get the june 2010 mark scheme you'll need to go looking through the internet as AQA have took it off the website, they do it only after so long. Development of technology will come up plus it depends in the way they want you to answer the question for example, if it talks about radios then talk about transistors, materials ( bakelite, wood etc), micro electronics, nano technology etc. But, the best development of technology to talk about is Sony Walkman 1979 to the mp3 we have today. SO many marks avliable there plus diagrams. With regards with, i dont think material applications, or finishes will come up as the have came up over the past few years. So again, i feel like business elemnts will come up, influenced of past and present designers and development in technology and maybe safety and legislations. But, my guess is as good as yours! Hope this helps :smile: x
Original post by eleanorjay
Could anybody help me please.
I got 78/80 AS and 85/85 A2 for my coursework.
I resat the AS paper and I think it went ok.

Could anybody help me work out (or tell me) what marks I need to get in the AS and A2 paper to get an A overall?

Thank you x

Hey Ellanor what did you get overall for AS? My scneario is the same as yours, Igot 159/200 ums for AS which was a B ( 1 ums of an A) then i got 84/85 ums on my coursework for A2 which was 99 ums so i only need either 22 ums for a B or 44 ums for a A. So, you may need similarly less than me :smile: x
has anyone got the exam style questions from the nelson thrones text book ? thanks
Hey Ellanor what did you get overall for AS? My scneario is the same as yours, Igot 159/200 ums for AS which was a B ( 1 ums of an A) then i got 84/85 ums on my coursework for A2 which was 99 ums so i only need either 22 ums for a B or 44 ums for a A. So, you may need similarly less than me :smile: x

Hey,
Well I had to resit the AS paper in may, so I'm hoping for a B in that. So 78/80 would be around 96 ums? and 85/85 would be 100ums? How many marks is 22 or 44 ums then? How many UMS is it to get an A overall sorry? x
well 96 and 85 is 197 ums if you get a B in the AS exam thats about 70 ums. Thats 267 ums which is an A for As, then add 100 ums from the coursework from A2 thats 367 ums so, youll need 13 ums for a B overall for your A level and 53 ums for an A overall. Hope that helps!
Original post by eleanorjay
Hey,
Well I had to resit the AS paper in may, so I'm hoping for a B in that. So 78/80 would be around 96 ums? and 85/85 would be 100ums? How many marks is 22 or 44 ums then? How many UMS is it to get an A overall sorry? x

To get an A overall you need 80% of the 400 ums avaliable (200 this year, 200 last year) so that's 320 ums
What is the UMS for an A*? is it 340 or 360?
Reply 35
Mate your maths is a bit wrong. There is 400 ums available which 80 percent i.e. 320 ums is an A. So you will need 62ums for an A not 44ums, sorry but thought i should let you know :smile:
what sections or bits of information have you guys revised?
Original post by Dezza1994
What is the UMS for an A*? is it 340 or 360?

An A* (90%) will be 360/400 ums but the ums doesn't carry over from last year for an A* so you have to have 90% in this year which will be 180/200
Original post by Ellie Oakley
An A* (90%) will be 360/400 ums but the ums doesn't carry over from last year for an A* so you have to have 90% in this year which will be 180/200

What do you mean the ums don't get carried over? Do they not add the four scores you get for your final grade!? :s-smilie:
Hey everyone, I'm guessing if you're reading this you're sitting the AQA A2 Product design exam this Tuesday, like I am. I've pretty much exhausted the book for information and I found a really useful site and yes, it looks like it was made by a 5 year old and yes, I think it's aimed at GCSE... but it's still extremely relevant for this exam (its got loads of revision card stuff too, if you're into that).

Anyway, check it out, I hope it can help some of you out in the next couple days:
http://www.technologystudent.com/prddes1/prddex1.html

Quick Reply

Latest