Olive Oyl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi All,

The PhD funding wait is driving me bonkers. And now I have to wait even longer. Here is the situation - I have a PhD offer, but in mid April I heard that I've been put on a reserve list for departmental funding. The mail said that they will let me know if an award becomes available, but I won't know for sure until July or August.

I have been reading that funds get reallocated a bit in late summer when the research council awards are declared. Do you guys think I stand a chance?
Olive Oyl
Rep:
?
It does seem extremely unlikely that anyone would pass up a fully funded phd opportunity. Very very worried. Any comments/suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Olive Oyl)
It does seem extremely unlikely that anyone would pass up a fully funded phd opportunity. Very very worried. Any comments/suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
Yeah the wait is driving me mad too. :mad2:
But as strange as it sounds, some people get several scholarships and therefore have to turn down offers.
Olive Oyl
Rep:
?
It's crazy that I'll have to wait until July-August and then may not even get it. Anyway, fingers crossed and good luck to us. Thanks for the encouraging note Josb.
gutenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As Josb says, some people do receive several offers, so all hope is not lost. I received two scholarship offers when I applied to PhDs, so naturally I had to turn one down eventually; I found out later that my declined award ended up going to an acquaintance from my undergrad, so I was pleased about that!
Olive Oyl
Rep:
?
That's really good to know I asked them where I stand on the list - I am the second reserve. But since I have no idea how many scholarships were offered in the first place, this information means nothing to me. Hehe. Feeling a bit lighter now. I mean, I'll still have to wait and watch, but feeling just a little less anxious...
QHF
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you guys think I stand a chance?
I know someone who was put on the reserve list for a full AHRC studentship at Oxford and eventually got it. So never say never: people do turn these things down. But also don't get your hopes up: they don't turn them down all that often.
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's really good to know I asked them where I stand on the list - I am the second reserve. But since I have no idea how many scholarships were offered in the first place, this information means nothing to me. Hehe. Feeling a bit lighter now. I mean, I'll still have to wait and watch, but feeling just a little less anxious...
I was second on the reserve list at Leeds and just missed out.

Depends on the uni, if its non Oxbridge you have a decent chance as normally they offer positions to Oxbridge grads who get offers from elsewhere and ditch the place. Or at least that's what I found d at Leeds.
Olive Oyl
Rep:
?
(Original post by redferry)
I was second on the reserve list at Leeds and just missed out.

Depends on the uni, if its non Oxbridge you have a decent chance as normally they offer positions to Oxbridge grads who get offers from elsewhere and ditch the place. Or at least that's what I found d at Leeds.

hmmm..I'm trying to maintain an optimum level of optimism. Bad luck about Leeds, redferry. My PhD offer is not at Oxbridge, so yay! Also there is a chance that people may get AHRC/ESRC funding and not take up the departmental one right?
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hmmm..I'm trying to maintain an optimum level of optimism. Bad luck about Leeds, redferry. My PhD offer is not at Oxbridge, so yay! Also there is a chance that people may get AHRC/ESRC funding and not take up the departmental one right?
Worked out well in the end because I got a funded place at UCL!

Yeah that as well although I don't think its as common.
Olive Oyl
Rep:
?
Worked out well in the end because I got a funded place at UCL!

Yeah that as well although I don't think its as common.
Oh very cool. All's well...
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh very cool. All's well...
Of this doesn't come off then all I can say is keep trying and go for positions with the most funding! The DTP I got onto in the end had 36 places as opposed to 3.
Olive Oyl
Rep:
?
Of this doesn't come off then all I can say is keep trying and go for positions with the most funding! The DTP I got onto in the end had 36 places as opposed to 3.
That makes sense. The problem is that the research area I'm interested in is so niche. Yeah, but just keep trying I suppose...
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That makes sense. The problem is that the research area I'm interested in is so niche. Yeah, but just keep trying I suppose...
What is it, out of interest?

Mines pretty niche as well if it helps (sociopolitical comboned with ecological conservation)
katiegud
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was on the reserve list at Leeds and ended up getting my funding. I hope it works out for you! The wait is awful though.
Olive Oyl
Rep:
?
(Original post by katiegud)
I was on the reserve list at Leeds and ended up getting my funding. I hope it works out for you! The wait is awful though.
Congrats for getting it. Did you know almost immediately, or did it take ages?
katiegud
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Congrats for getting it. Did you know almost immediately, or did it take ages?
They only gave the offer holders 2 weeks to accept or decline, so it didn't take long. In your case it sounds like people can take longer to decide, which would be very stressful! Good luck with getting off the reserve list!
Dutt1995
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dear Olive Oyl, four years down the lane, and I find myself in the reserve list boat. Would you be able to tell me if you finally did get the funding? My own subject area is very uncommon within the broader subject of sociology, so I would say that perhaps the course is not that popular. The departmental funding that I've been reserved for has so far awarded many scholarships, but none to the specific course I applied for within Social Sciences. I called them up to ask the size of the reserved list pool, and got to know that there are 6 candidates along with me. Very recently, they made available 2 more awards, so I'm unsure if the reserved list size has decreased or not. I rang up to know where I stand on the reserved list, and for ethical reasons, they couldn't disclose that to me. So, now I just want to hear a third person perspective on whether I stand a chance in getting this funding, or should I give up all hope. The reserved list waiting game is full of anxiety, so insights from all of you would be much appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (20)
22.99%
Unconditional if firmed (4)
4.6%
Unconditional if insurance (0)
0%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (1)
1.15%
No unconditional offers (62)
71.26%

Watched Threads