The Student Room Group

Seeing the psychiatrist,second time

Hiya guys,

Due to my 'condition' worsening I've asked my psychologist if I could see the team psychiatrist, she agreed as I don't have a diagnosis and went ahead and made the appointment.

I've seen a psychiatrist before but it was a really bad appointment, not a nice lady at all and in and out in ten minutes with no real diagnosis.

This time my psychologist said there would be a lot more people in the appointment like herself, my mum, myself, my care co-coordinator, a junior doctor and the psychiatrist.

Part of my condition is severe anxiety and a room full of people talking about me is my worst nightmare, can anyone give me any reassurance on what questions or points they're going to discuss?

Need reassurance/similar experiences more than anything really, my first ever appointment was total shambles and I don't want it to be like that again :frown:
Psychiatrists are usually pretty good at directing meetings in a way that is most helpful to the patient. I'd try not to worry, your last psychiatrist may have been a dick but there are good ones too so hopefully this one will be helpful to you. Basically he'll ask you what's going on with you, how long for, how severely, a bit about your past leading up to your current state. He might ask about your family life, any drug taking, anything you find helpful, anything that makes things worse, he will probably ask what you want to do about things - medication/therapy.

You might find it useful to write some notes beforehand to get the most out of your appointment, just bullet points would be helpful so you don't forget to mention something you consider important.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest