The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
if it really is that noticeable then it could even be a good thing. couple of years back i really liked this gal who had a....a nose pointier and larger than your average nose lets say, nd i actually thought it was pretty cute on her
Reply 21
Chumbaniya
Oh come on. The nose is a very noticeable feature of the face, especially when viewed from the side, and it's located slap-bang in the middle. How could it not be important when determining appearance?

It just isn't. You see loads of good looking people without a good nose.
Sithius
That's rubbish.

When you look at someone, what's the most pronounced feature on their face? The nose. Granted, one may not focus in on it since it's hardly the most appealing aspect of the human form, but irregularity or ill-proportioned noses certainly do reduce the desirabilty of a given individual, in general. Therefore what I said was not "rubbish" and you can kindly stfu.

Anyone who claims not to care about looks in the opposite sex is a liar. Certainly, the interpretation of other people's appearance is totally subjective, but w*****s who claim "not to care about looks, it's all about personality blah blah blah" when assessing potential mates are absolute frauds. It's in our instincts and no amount of bull****ting will convince me otherwise.
Reply 23
cutandpasteandtwisty
When you look at someone, what's the most pronounced feature on their face? The nose. Granted, one may not focus in on it since it's hardly the most appealing aspect of the human form, but irregularity or ill-proportioned noses certainly do reduce the desirabilty of a given individual, in general. Therefore what I said was not "rubbish" and you can kindly stfu.

Anyone who claims not to care about looks in the opposite sex is a liar. Certainly, the interpretation of other people's appearance is totally subjective, but w*****s who claim "not to care about looks, it's all about personality blah blah blah" when assessing potential mates are absolute frauds. It's in our instincts and no amount of bull****ting will convince me otherwise.

It's crap, believe me. I'm sure a lot will agree with me here. (for once).

Doesn't matter if it is the most 'pronounced' feature. The fact is, it still remains a small part of someones looks.
Reply 24
Anonymous
im a girl. i go thru phases where im really bothered about the shape of my nose. i hate seeing photos of my profile an looking at myself on video cam as all i notice is this horrible shape of my nose protruding out and ruining my appearance. it's curvy, with a hook shape on the bridge, so doesn't just go straight down like most peoples.
i wouldn't want surgery as ive seen what they do-it looks awful, plus the after effect of pain. i just dont know what else i could do. im finding it hard to not be bothered an just accept it. i keep feeling its the main factor that will put guys off me. :frown:
guys- would you find this nose shape very unattractive? would it put you off? or is it unimportant compared with other features/personality?
anyone else feel the same?
thanx

If a guy likes you, he wouldn't care, as someone else has said. If a guy can get put off by your nose then he's an immature, idiotic, shallow child who isn't worth your time of day, let alone have you worry over it.

Hey if it's any console to you, I don't particularly like my nose either :smile: I don't dislike it as such but not particularly keen either. It's quite nice for the average Chinese nose, but I still prefer the more elegantly-shaped noses of the average westerner lol.

And I remember I didn't like the shape of my bf's nose that much when we first met - and lol I actually do look at noses in terms of who I'm attracted to - but hey I'm going out with him and annoyed as I am with myself for this, I don't think I'd ever wanna leave him. And in fact, I find his nose really cute now lol. It really grew on me :smile:

And now I'm sure I sound like a weirdo for looking so much at noses...
Sithius
It's crap, believe me.

No thanks.

Sithius
The fact is, it still remains a small part of someones looks.

No fact in there pal. When you look at someone's face and there's a pretruding snout or beak in the centre of their face, they simply ain't going to be good looking. Simple as.
Reply 26
cutandpasteandtwisty

What if I told you that when I first met my bf, I didn't find him attractive at all? And what if I told you, the first time I met my ex, his looks really didn't appeal much to me? It took me a year to get over my ex, and my current bf I think I might wanna marry one day. So not caring about looks can actually happen methinks. Looks grow on you after you start liking the person, I've found.
cutandpasteandtwisty

Some people generally do not care about looks, i personally believe that personality is much more important, so please don't tell me i am bull****ing
irisng
What if I told you that when I first met my bf, I didn't find him attractive at all? And what if I told you, the first time I met my ex, his looks really didn't appeal much to me? It took me a year to get over my ex, and my current bf I think I might wanna marry one day. So not caring about looks can actually happen methinks. Looks grow on you after you start liking the person, I've found.

Why did you start going out with him if you didn't find him attractive at all?! Surely the whole catalyst for sexual relationships (by that i mean non-platonic) is sexual attraction? Certainly resultant love is not due to such a factor, but why be with someone who doesn't fit the bill, as it were?
I met this girl on a camping holiday a couple of weeks ago and she was stunningly attractive - nice figure, smooth complexion, nice hair, aesthetically pleasing face etc however she had the most ugly nose ever. It just ruined her whole appearance. the bone in her nose just bumped in and out about three times really obviously. She looked nice in every other way - just her hideous nose spoilt it.

Apart from this she had a very nice personality and got a lot of male attention so I guess a nice nose isn't the be all and end all. She didn't seem bothered.

I think if it was me - a really horrid nose would really knock my confidence and i'd get a nose job if it were that bad. However I understand that some people would disagree with this. (This is all my personal, honest opinions btw and I can see why some people would see surgery as shallow, unecessary etc).
Fortunately my nose if average which I am quite happy. Therefore my opinion is probably not that valid as I have never had to experience a bad nose.
Reply 30
cutandpasteandtwisty
Why did you start going out with him if you didn't find him attractive at all?! Surely the whole catalyst for sexual relationships (by that i mean non-platonic) is sexual attraction? Certainly resultant love is not due to such a factor, but why be with someone who doesn't fit the bill, as it were?

Because looks really do not matter lol. If I was attracted to a person's personality, I will not let their looks get in the way. Looks are so temporary - I mean, when you're 40 and no longer so good-looking, would it matter to your spouse? No. So why let such a factor affect who you go for in a relationship, seeing as it's an unimportant factor that affects not a thing. Although I don't go into relationships for fun - don't believe in that - I go into a relationship looking for something serious, a relationship that is eventually going to hopefully end in marriage. So perhaps that's what makes it different. And as for fitting the bill - exactly, what are you looking for? I'm looking for whether I could marry this person, looking for someone who would love me as I love them, eventually. So why would looks matter?

I went out with my bf cus I loved his personality. After a while I found his looks to be average, and after dating him his looks grew on me so that now I find him very cute. But I know objectively speaking, he's only average and not the sort of looks I'd personally go for. Trust me, looks really do grow on you once you fancy that person.
irisng
Because looks really do not matter lol. If I was attracted to a person's personality, I will not let their looks get in the way. Looks are so temporary - I mean, when you're 40 and no longer so good-looking, would it matter to your spouse? No. So why let such a factor affect who you go for in a relationship, seeing as it's an unimportant factor that affects not a thing. Although I don't go into relationships for fun - don't believe in that - I go into a relationship looking for something serious, a relationship that is eventually going to hopefully end in marriage. So perhaps that's what makes it different. And as for fitting the bill - exactly, what are you looking for? I'm looking for whether I could marry this person, looking for someone who would love me as I love them, eventually. So why would looks matter?

I went out with my bf cus I loved his personality. After a while I found his looks to be average, and after dating him his looks grew on me so that now I find him very cute. But I know objectively speaking, he's only average and not the sort of looks I'd personally go for.

well said, i totally agree
Reply 32
irisng
I find his nose really cute now lol. It really grew on me :smile:

does he lie much?
irisng

I went out with my bf cus I loved his personality. After a while I found his looks to be average, and after dating him his looks grew on me so that now I find him very cute. But I know objectively speaking, he's only average and not the sort of looks I'd personally go for. Trust me, looks really do grow on you once you fancy that person.

Okay that's fine, everyone's different I guess. I'm glad that you have such a great relationship. :smile:
One question, though. If looks and appearance are so unimportant, could you see yourself with a woman? Provided she had a wonderful personality, etc. :confused:
Reply 34
irisng

i really respect that but i couldn't do that. i'm not a shallow person in the slightest, but for me both looks and personality are extremely important. i don't want to sound rude here, but i don't understand how somebody becomes more physically attractive to you (not you specifically as a lot of people say this) when you realise you like their personality, as their looks haven't changed at all???
Reply 35
cutandpasteandtwisty
Okay that's fine, everyone's different I guess. I'm glad that you have such a great relationship. :smile:
One question, though. If looks and appearance are so unimportant, could you see yourself with a woman? Provided she had a wonderful personality, etc. :confused:

Lol no can't see myself with a woman cus women are simply different - nothing specific that you can put a finger on but they act differently and react differently to men. And as interesting as the female figure is (love studying human body in terms of Art) I don't find the body sexually attractive. I mean, ok, if I'm looking for my potential husband, I really would rather hope he had a penis, as any woman would! lol.

And Ross - what do you mean does he lie much? :confused: Lol I've no idea how looks growing on you works but it's happened twice with me so it does happen :smile: I suppose you come to love who they are, and that face is their identity and part of who they are and you just come to accept and adore it, maybe.

EDIT: Lol I got the joke now, Ross :biggrin: yeh I can be slow sometimes lol.
Reply 36
i can understand accepting it, but finding someone more attractive just because you like their personality is really distorted in my opinion.

and the lying part lol. you said his nose grew on you - what happened to ponnochio when he lied? :rofl:
Reply 37
Anonymous
im a girl. i go thru phases where im really bothered about the shape of my nose. i hate seeing photos of my profile an looking at myself on video cam as all i notice is this horrible shape of my nose protruding out and ruining my appearance. it's curvy, with a hook shape on the bridge, so doesn't just go straight down like most peoples.
i wouldn't want surgery as ive seen what they do-it looks awful, plus the after effect of pain. i just dont know what else i could do. im finding it hard to not be bothered an just accept it. i keep feeling its the main factor that will put guys off me. :frown:
guys- would you find this nose shape very unattractive? would it put you off? or is it unimportant compared with other features/personality?
anyone else feel the same?
thanx

OMGG all my life i've had a complex about my nose..at 13 i wanted cosmetic surgery and **** i got so insecure about it. But my friends kept sayin my nose is fine, theres nothing wrong with it bla bla, and u know the thing is maybe u are over-reacting to it like i am. It might seem horrible to you, but it will probably go un-noticed by others, so dont worry abt it seriously its not as bad as u really think!!
irisng
Lol no can't see myself with a woman cus women are simply different - nothing specific that you can put a finger on but they act differently and react differently to men. And as interesting as the female figure is (love studying human body in terms of Art) I don't find the body sexually attractive. I mean, ok, if I'm looking for my potential husband, I really would rather hope he had a penis, as any woman would! lol.

Alright, so as long as he's got a willy and a nice personality he's fine by you? Cool.

So you don't find the female form sexually attractive, but you'd have no problem dating a fat, deshevelled, balding bloke - so long as he was an ace guy?!
Reply 39
I do find small noses on the opposite sex quite an attractive feature, as well as for kissing purposes. The forehead, lips and nose are the best places to apply such affection. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending