The Student Room Group

Since getting MSN I have become increasingly lazy with hobbies

Before I had TSR there was MSN, Bebo, MySpace, Facebook, Bubnlegum Club, Runescape etc.
I think I've had an unhealthy use of the Internet for some years now (Year 10 maybe?) but I'm reluctant to use any term as serious as 'addiction'
Anyway, now I've reached a point where I'm dependent on the Internet and it's the first thing I think of for entertainment but I'm getting bored now. I'm nearly addicted since I sometimes can't sleep from the need to reconnect with my phone but then once I start it's an empty feeling and I just get tired and sucked into the endless information...I also stay up late most nights only to ask myself what was even the point at the end of it all.

I blame my technology addiction for my impaired social skills although I can bluff quite well it seems :tongue:

I need something to dooo but I can't quite remember how to do stuff lol. I want the help of TSR :-)

I have a Jack Whitehall DVD to watch tonight, a PS3 at my Mum's place for after exams, ****loads of films and books, and I want to play Risk, Cranium and Pictionary with Dad sometime. They would be a lot more interesting and fulfilling and yet, I keep coming back for more. Wtf is wrong with me :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You still use MSN?
Reply 2
Original post by Acidy
You still use MSN?

Nah, just demonstrating that it's been a bad habit for longer than I can remember :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Riku
Nah, just demonstrating that it's been a bad habit for longer than I can remember :tongue:

Ah :P was going to say=p
Original post by Riku
Before I had TSR there was MSN, Bebo, MySpace, Facebook, Bubnlegum Club, Runescape etc.
I think I've had an unhealthy use of the Internet for some years now (Year 10 maybe?) but I'm reluctant to use any term as serious as 'addiction'
Anyway, now I've reached a point where I'm dependent on the Internet and it's the first thing I think of for entertainment but I'm getting bored now. I'm nearly addicted since I sometimes can't sleep from the need to reconnect with my phone but then once I start it's an empty feeling and I just get tired and sucked into the endless information...I also stay up late most nights only to ask myself what was even the point at the end of it all.

I blame my technology addiction for my impaired social skills although I can bluff quite well it seems :tongue:

I need something to dooo but I can't quite remember how to do stuff lol. I want the help of TSR :-)

I have a Jack Whitehall DVD to watch tonight, a PS3 at my Mum's place for after exams, ****loads of films and books, and I want to play Risk, Cranium and Pictionary with Dad sometime. They would be a lot more interesting and fulfilling and yet, I keep coming back for more. Wtf is wrong with me :s-smilie:

you dont need the help of TSR you need to turn your laptop off and give it to your parents for 2 weeks
Reply 5
Original post by doodle_333
you dont need the help of TSR you need to turn your laptop off and give it to your parents for 2 weeks

But I don't know what I'd do without the computer now. That's what I mean; addiction. :frown:

I need help brainstorming for the time being.
Reply 6
Original post by doodle_333

But I don't know what I'd do without the computer now. That's what I mean; addiction. :frown:

I need help brainstorming alternatives for the time being. And then putting them into action.
They got rid of MSN last year...
Reply 8
Original post by Bassetts
They got rid of MSN last year...

I know. You're missing the point; I've had self-destructive use of technology particularly the Internet and social media/chat rooms for…6 years? And I used to play a lot of video games. What I'm basically trying to say is, I have social anxiety and before I can overcome that with interesting things to say, I have to get the **** off this ****ing thing. But I can't, cos I love my computer/phone too much :'(
Original post by Riku

I need help brainstorming for the time being.

It doesn't matter if you'd know what to do. If you don't have it, you can't use it. So fill your time with something else. Go see friends, go to the gym, you mentioned exams so revise, just keep busy, stop being a beta phaggot and take control of your life.
Reply 10
Original post by manchesterunited15
It doesn't matter if you'd know what to do. If you don't have it, you can't use it. So fill your time with something else. Go see friends, go to the gym, you mentioned exams so revise, just keep busy, stop being a beta phaggot and take control of your life.

but I've forgotten what the 'something else' is that is the problemmmm
Reply 11
Original post by shiggydiggy
Just stop for a moment and look at your own post history. Actually click on your own username and look at the list of threads you've created. Now realise that this is how you've chosen to spend the better part of your youth, posting sappy, self-pitying ****e on an internet forum.

May I suggest you **** off to /r9k/ or some other depressing, circlejerk cesspit of a community instead of TSR? Or better yet, switch your computer off and leave your bedroom before you go full on Roger.

inb4 warning card, come at me mods.

You are going to get a warning card, at the same time you're right, but you need to treat me like an alcoholic because that is nearly the level of dependence I am on technology now. And my God, I want OUT man.

Original post by Riku

I just told you three things. You mentioned several others yourself.
Reply 13
I just told you three things. You mentioned several others yourself.

Ok. They are there-like literally within reach. How do I stop cravings for the Internet?
Original post by Riku
You are going to get a warning card, at the same time you're right, but you need to treat me like an alcoholic because that is nearly the level of dependence I am on technology now.

Mate, you're dependent on self-pity.
Original post by Riku
Ok. They are there-like literally within reach. How do I stop cravings for the Internet?

Ban yourself from everything you crave

voluntarily take out the power

Do something productive/find a new hobby
Original post by Riku

I would take the advice about giving your laptop to to your mum or something. I used to gamble loads but have my mum my card for a while and I'm slowly getting out of debt and haven't gambled in months
Reply 17
Mate, you're dependent on self-pity.

Self-pity implies I'm deliberately doing something which I could easily stop to seek attention for it in the form of sympathy by creating the illusion of my being disempowered by what I'm doing. I am genuinely addicted and need solutions as people have been suggesting to get out of what is really a very simple problem but is apparently no longer because why? I don't know.
Original post by Riku
Self-pity implies I'm deliberately doing something which I could easily stop to seek attention for it in the form of sympathy by creating the illusion of my being disempowered by what I'm doing.

Do you even read what you type? Jesus christ.
Reply 19
Do you even read what you type? Jesus christ.

Although not a particularly well constructed sentence, I've just described the behaviour that enables the motives of one seeking self-pity, no?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending