Upgrading to AM2 Watch

Revelation
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Ok, im going to buy a new pc (in parts) next week, notably an Asus M2N Sli mobo, AMD X2 4600+ AM2, 2GB Dual Channel memory and a 7900GT. Then stick XP Professional on it.

Is there anything I should know before going to a dual core, any tips or advice you wanna give me before/when I install etc.
Revelation
Rep:
?
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbump
JayEm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its all the same, you build one, you can build any. Only advice is get a decent power supply.
Lecter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Which M2N motherboard? I wold say the 590 is slightly better.
Decent power supply and a very good CPU heatsink and cooler.
paulnichols
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't know what experience you have with overclocking but if bought a x2 3800 then you could quite easily overclock it to x2 4600 levels.
it's also £60 cheaper on overclockers.co.uk

as lecter said make sure to get a good power supply and cpu cooler.
sufiankane
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
dont get an x2 4600+. reason is intel core 2 duo e6300 (at ebuyer.co.uk for 125 quid) performs as good as an AM2 amd x2 4600+. get that MUCH CHEAPER and better. or get a better core 2 duo processor for same price. go to tomshardware.com for graphs to show wich ones r better.
Lecter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was going to buy a pre-built from mesh computer BUT i couldnt downgrade CPU as i wanted the M2N deluxe 590 nforce MOBO. Went for laptop as need the mobility
Revelation
Rep:
?
(Original post by sufiankane)
dont get an x2 4600+. reason is intel core 2 duo e6300 (at ebuyer.co.uk for 125 quid) performs as good as an AM2 amd x2 4600+. get that MUCH CHEAPER and better. or get a better core 2 duo processor for same price. go to tomshardware.com for graphs to show wich ones r better.
I prefer AMD, purely personal choice. Same with nVidia over Radeon.

AMD + nVidia ftw.
Logan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol.. yeah nvdia is better
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Revelation)
I prefer AMD, purely personal choice. Same with nVidia over Radeon.

AMD + nVidia ftw.
It's a shame that AMD has just bought ATI then.

I like AMD, and all the computers that we've had since our first (a Pentium 90MHz) have been AMD based, but the thing is that with these new Intel chips offering such astonishing performance, great value, and low TDP ratings, I can't see a reason to go for AMD anymore.

If AMD keep cutting prices as heavily as they've been made to do in reaction to Intel, then I guess that they'd still be good value for very tight budget builds, but I don't see them fighting off the Intel thread at the mid-top and performance gamer end of the market unless they make some huge strides in performance utilising the tech and knowledge of ATI.
sufiankane
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I like amd i really do but the e6300 performs better and is MUCH cheaper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.42%
No - I got the required grades (108)
59.02%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise