Injury and x ray help!

Watch
DollyMaii.x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Back in September I was involved in a car accident. I had bad face and head injuries at the time. I really hurt my neck too but where i had been completely knocked beyond my senses I didn't know what hurt and what didn't at the time. I had a CT scan of my brain because of the head injury but no x rays that night.

It was only when I woke up the next morning I noticed the neck pain, I just thought it was from being on the spinal board so long so I didn't mention it, I just wanted to get out of hospital and I felt so rough from all the morphine and anaesthetic from the night before I didn't want anything else. The next day my mum took me to the GP about the neck pain, she just said it was from being on the spinal board and it would be alright in a couple of days. Weeks later it was still causing problems so I was referred to physio. I had this from December to February and I had about 8 sessions of acupuncture. This didn't work, I was told to just go home and keep doing the neck exercises but I was getting no improvement, I starting getting numbness and pins and needles down my left arm on the outside. I started going to a private physio a few weeks a go and he said that there is problems with the c1 vertebra, and that when he moves my arm he can feel the pulse stop? Problem here is English is his third language so he can't always tell me what the problem is in English, he can only try and explain it to me.

I finish the physio this week and I'm still not getting any improvement. I still have the pain and the feelings in my arm. I have also had terrible headaches since the crash which haven't been resolved. I am starting to worry about what's wrong now as two lots of treatment and still nothing? I plan to go back to my GP next week so I was wondering if I should push for an x ray or something?
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DollyMaii.x)
Back in September I was involved in a car accident. I had bad face and head injuries at the time. I really hurt my neck too but where i had been completely knocked beyond my senses I didn't know what hurt and what didn't at the time. I had a CT scan of my brain because of the head injury but no x rays that night.

It was only when I woke up the next morning I noticed the neck pain, I just thought it was from being on the spinal board so long so I didn't mention it, I just wanted to get out of hospital and I felt so rough from all the morphine and anaesthetic from the night before I didn't want anything else. The next day my mum took me to the GP about the neck pain, she just said it was from being on the spinal board and it would be alright in a couple of days. Weeks later it was still causing problems so I was referred to physio. I had this from December to February and I had about 8 sessions of acupuncture. This didn't work, I was told to just go home and keep doing the neck exercises but I was getting no improvement, I starting getting numbness and pins and needles down my left arm on the outside. I started going to a private physio a few weeks a go and he said that there is problems with the c1 vertebra, and that when he moves my arm he can feel the pulse stop? Problem here is English is his third language so he can't always tell me what the problem is in English, he can only try and explain it to me.

I finish the physio this week and I'm still not getting any improvement. I still have the pain and the feelings in my arm. I have also had terrible headaches since the crash which haven't been resolved. I am starting to worry about what's wrong now as two lots of treatment and still nothing? I plan to go back to my GP next week so I was wondering if I should push for an x ray or something?
They will have CT scanned your neck as well when you went into hospital and cleared your spine before removing any spinal precautions like the spinal board you say you were on. It's be worth bringing it up with your GP again, it could be something muscular that will probably go over time.
hslt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DollyMaii.x)
Very unlikely that after a car accident, and putting you on a board, that they wouldn't have done a CT head AND neck.

CTs are, by the way, the same basic technology as XRays, but far better - or to put it another way if there was any abnormality on a neck XR then it is routine to get a CT because it is so much better.

You could consider going back to the GP and checking you had some imaging - not sure that you would find anything that would change your management at this stage though.
DollyMaii.x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thank you, I did wonder if my neck would have been included in the scan but I wasn't sure. I will go back to the GP next week and see what she says
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (135)
61.64%
I don't have everything I need (84)
38.36%

Watched Threads