Michael Gove axes "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Of Mice and Men" from Eng Lit syllabus

Watch
jo7777
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Michael Gove 'axes' To Kill a Mockingbird and other American classics from English literature GCSE syllabus

Here's the article: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...s-9432818.html

Apparently he "really dislikes" Of Mice and Men.
Tappouni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jo7777)
Michael Gove 'axes' To Kill a Mockingbird and other American classics from English literature GCSE syllabus

Here's the article: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...s-9432818.html

Apparently he "really dislikes" Of Mice and Men.
I personally find it really wrong - alright, he wants to promote British works, but just chucking out things such as To Kill a Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men is mad. This letter sums up the thoughts of many I'm sure...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...tml?1401022854
jo7777
Rep:
?
I personally don't think politicians should be able to muck around with education!
jo7777
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tappouni)
I personally find it really wrong - alright, he wants to promote British works, but just chucking out things such as To Kill a Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men is mad. This letter sums up the thoughts of many I'm sure...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...tml?1401022854
That letter is great!
Jaegon Targaryen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I found Of Mice and Men to be quite a drag tbh

Romantic poetry at GCSE ? I see the popularity of English decreasing dramatically
Alleykat606
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He's a ****ing idiot
Tappouni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jo7777)
That letter is great!
Sure is, but even if Mike read it, I bet he'd just ignore it and do whatever he wants to do!
tuquid
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I heard about this in September last year when our English teacher was having a rant about Gove.

Only thing Michael Gove is good for: Making teachers swear in front of students. Its hilarious.
TheGreatImposter
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well glad no student has to read TKaM,
That book was a drag even though I liked it a bit,
Hate him though :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unruly Marmite
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be fair, if I was Education Secretary I would ban Of Mice and Men. The only good thing about it was the hilariously poor movie adaptation.
Per
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No surprises for me I've lost all faith in this country's organisation of education. I didn't read it in school I did Lord of the Flies instead but I still find it a shame.
Haza2012
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just to be clear, the education department have not made it so that Of Mice and men and To kill and Mockingbird are removed from the english syllabuses, they have merely stated that in the new syllabuses there should be more english authors. There has been no specific removal of pieces of literature from exam board syllabuses and at the end of the day, it is the exam boards decision what literature they want to examine on. Furthermore, to my knowledge, it is just OCR GCSE english syllabus that the two mentioned books have been removed from, not across the board.

In addition, why shouldn't students learn more about British authors? We have an excellent repertoire of literature written right here in England, why so much emphasis on overseas literature? I respect that we need to learn about other cultures etc, but we are not talking about removing all non-english made literature from the curriculum, there will be some pieces that were created by non-english people.

And in an earlier comment, if not politicians who? I think that Michael Gove is doing a good job, he is trying to make our education system more rigorous and trying to stop grade inflation like under the previous labour government. He has some great ideas about extending the school day to encompass more extracurricular activities, and i personally believe that the main reasons teachers are opposed to his changes is because they don't like change and it means more work for them. i respect that it is a hard job, but they must understand that everybody's job is hard and they have to adapt to create a better education that no-longer fails generations of students.
jo7777
Rep:
?
I would rather read Of Mice and Men and To Kill A Mockingbird than Shakespeare tbh, but thats just my personal opinion
goldie56
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He's knocking out The Crucible too. I'm glad, but feel sorry for those kids who have to read Dickens
Toaster Leavings
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why does this he get to dictate the syllabus? It makes absolutely no sense... it should surely be done by a group consensus with actual teachers of the subject and not just exam boards.

Anyway I quite like Of Mice And Men but it doesn't hold a candle to To Kill A Mockingbird. I did greatly enjoy studying the latter in school and I don't see why a British classic is necessary. I loved Catcher In The Rye at that age too...

That said I love Romantic poetry and I would've much rather studied that than Carol Ann Duffy, who is ****e, so he has got that right.
Talipso
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jaegon Targaryen)
I found Of Mice and Men to be quite a drag tbh

Romantic poetry at GCSE ? I see the popularity of English decreasing dramatically
Srsly? It was uber short :eek:
Toaster Leavings
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by goldie56)
He's knocking out The Crucible too. I'm glad, but feel sorry for those kids who have to read Dickens
That's a bad move. That play is so relevant to today when hysteria can be whipped up so easily by social media.

He just seems to be choosing books based on our history rather than the messages they convey.
ThePhoenixLament
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They said they want to highlight English authors and poets more... and so are bringing Emily Dickinson's works into GCSE level exams... That makes complete sense.
Unruly Marmite
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Talipso)
Srsly? It was uber short :eek:
In my opinion, the book was readable thanks to how short it was, but the analysis was infuriating. I daresay that anybody reading fiction I have written would have plenty of analysis, but none of it intentional from me. That was what annoyed me most, the amount of frankly dubious inference.
Riku
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
****ing politicians. All Lenny wanted to do was tend the rabbits
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (14)
73.68%
No (3)
15.79%
Not sure (2)
10.53%

Watched Threads