The Student Room Group

Geography B Edexcel GCSE Unit 3 (DME) June 6th 2014 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

what is the new spec of unit 3 about. i have not had a geography teacher this whole year
Reply 21
Original post by ClariceE
here's the tip- our teacher said unit 3 is probably going to be about physical geography because the last two years was based on human geography. Good luck to you all!

Oh really? What stuff have you been revising?
Original post by ad222
Oh really? What stuff have you been revising?

can someone tell me whats physical geography i dont have a clue
Original post by yusuf_777
can someone tell me whats physical geography i dont have a clue

Physical geography was all that you did for the first exam: dynamic planet, water world...

Human geography is the second exam paper we did: development dilemmas...

You need to have a strong understanding of the compulsory topics in these as you need it in tomorrows exam. DO NOT LEARN THE CHOICE ONES IE. CHALLENGES OF URBAN WORLD.

So u answer the first part by analysing data which is easy.
The hard part is at the end when you chose the option you think is best and argue why (give adv and disadv)

Hope this helps... I'm really excited to finish this god-forsaken-subject XD XD XD
Original post by possum_box
Physical geography was all that you did for the first exam: dynamic planet, water world...

Human geography is the second exam paper we did: development dilemmas...

You need to have a strong understanding of the compulsory topics in these as you need it in tomorrows exam. DO NOT LEARN THE CHOICE ONES IE. CHALLENGES OF URBAN WORLD.

So u answer the first part by analysing data which is easy.
The hard part is at the end when you chose the option you think is best and argue why (give adv and disadv)

Hope this helps... I'm really excited to finish this god-forsaken-subject XD XD XD

thanks a ton was confused with the names
How is everyone going to pace their time?
Will you spend 30 mins on reading/highlighting key bits in the reading booklet & spend an hour on answering the Qs?
Reply 26
Original post by romaiseb
How is everyone going to pace their time?
Will you spend 30 mins on reading/highlighting key bits in the reading booklet & spend an hour on answering the Qs?

Probably not that long just going to read through it and make small notes and see how long it takes but I'm guessing that won't be 30 mins but the paper (if its anything like the sample assessment ) will be quite short compared to the other two
What do you guys predict will come up this year? I think it will be 'Restless Earth' with all the volcanoes and earthquakes etc :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by lburke20
Probably not that long just going to read through it and make small notes and see how long it takes but I'm guessing that won't be 30 mins but the paper (if its anything like the sample assessment ) will be quite short compared to the other two

Are we allowed to make notes on the booklet?
Reply 29
Original post by Lauralaughsalot
What do you guys predict will come up this year? I think it will be 'Restless Earth' with all the volcanoes and earthquakes etc :smile:

In the DME exam our topic could be about Brazil and the world cup because this could bring in the topic Battle for the biosphere aswell :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by ad222
Are we allowed to make notes on the booklet?

Yes i believe so because the invigilators get told not to send the booklet back to edexcel
I know it's very late in the night but if anyone is still on and wants to look at a sample paper, then here is one on page 202:
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCSE%20New%20GCSE/geogb-redsam.pdf

Mark scheme and resource booklet included below the exam paper.
Reply 32
I thought it was out of 6 themes so surely one of those will come up? I think it will be something about the environment/conservation (can't remember the individual themes) I have trouble with the 6 markers :s-smilie: any advice on those?
Reply 33
If it's on Restless Earth I will cry with joy because I love destruction x
Answering questions
Always refer to parts of the booklet where possible, e.g. 'Figure 3a shows us that...'
Use geographical terms e.g. Desertification, oceanic crust, biome etc
If you can't think of what to write, try to think 'economic, environmental, social' as this will help with any questions asking about sustainability or problems that an area faces.

2 marks- One valid statement+explanation e.g 'to increase the number of births (1 mark) due to their ageing population (1 mark).

3 marks- 1 mark per statement+ up to 2 marks for booklet evidence or explanation (question depending)

4 marks- 3 basic points+1 extended point/2 extended points

6 marks- (point+ booklet evidence+explanation)x3

12 marks- 3 or more positive aspects of option with PEE paragraphs and evidence from booklet+ 1 counter argument stating a negative aspect of your option+ compare to 2 other options. You can get six 2 mark answers to make 12 marks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lauralaughsalot
Answering questions
Always refer to parts of the booklet where possible, e.g. 'Figure 3a shows us that...'
Use geographical terms e.g. Desertification, oceanic crust, biome etc
If you can't think of what to write, try to think 'economic, environmental, social' as this will help with any questions asking about sustainability or problems that an area faces.

2 marks- One valid statement+explanation e.g 'to increase the number of births (1 mark) due to their ageing population (1 mark).

3 marks- 1 mark per statement+ up to 2 marks for booklet evidence or explanation (question depending)

4 marks- 3 basic points+1 extended point/2 extended points

6 marks- (point+ booklet evidence+explanation)x3

12 marks- 3 or more positive aspects of option with PEE paragraphs and evidence from booklet+ 1 counter argument stating a negative aspect of your option+ compare to 2 other options. You can get six 2 mark answers to make 12 marks

How did everyone find it?? I forgot to use evidence for the last 15 marker.. How many marks will I lose? :frown:
I also chose 1, but it doesnt matter too much. What was the cause and consequence of university graduates emigrating? that didn't seem to be on the page it told you to look at, and I thought every answer was in the booklet...
What do u think the grade boundaries will be for an A/A* ? And what did people put for how Jamaica is seen as a developing country.. I said: low migration rates - higher emigration compared to immigration because of a lack of oppurtinities. And a high death rate - less spent on healthcare (but the death rates were quite low so I don't know if that's right):confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Quinners7
I also chose 1, but it doesnt matter too much. What was the cause and consequence of university graduates emigrating? that didn't seem to be on the page it told you to look at, and I thought every answer was in the booklet...

For the uni graduates - you had to use ur own knowledge - I said: reason was cuz of better jobs and better quality of life. Consequence: the country would lose it's most skilful population resulting in a negative multiplier effect.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kirankhalsa
For the uni graduates - you had to use ur own knowledge - I said: reason was cuz of better jobs and better quality of life. Consequence: the country would lose it's most skilful population resulting in a negative multiplier effect.

Glad to know that I put that too! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest