The Student Room Group

Geography B Edexcel GCSE Unit 3 (DME) June 6th 2014 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HeskeyLAD
Glad to know that I put that too! :biggrin:

What did u put for "why does Jamaica need to import most of its food"
Original post by Kirankhalsa
What did u put for "why does Jamaica need to import most of its food"

I guessed that one. I put the decline in subsistence farming will reduce the growing of crops to feed them so they'll need to import food from other countries. I think I also put that most of the Jamaican population are in the tertiary industry so they are not skilled for farming which is a primary industry job, so again they'll need to import food to satisfy the scarcity of growing food within Jamaica.

No idea whether it's right, but then again I'm weak at Geography and will be happy with a B.
I put the same thing as you for both questions :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lauralaughsalot
I put the same thing as you for both questions :biggrin:

What did u put for the second question about development and how you can tell Jamaica is a developing country? I talked about low migration rates and high death rates?? But the death rates weren't even high! Lol!
What did u put for the second question about development and how you can tell Jamaica is a developing country? I talked about low migration rates and high death rates?? But the death rates weren't even high! Lol!

I talked about high infant mortality rates instead for the other half.

Hmm... I said that the birth rates were higher than the death rates (I was thinking about population structures as developing countries have pyramid shaped structures 🔼, but I have a feeling that birth rates are higher than death rates in developed countries too...'population dynamics' is my worst topic haha)
I also talked about high unemployment, or GDP...I can't remember! :s-smilie:
Hmm... I said that the birth rates were higher than the death rates (I was thinking about population structures as developing countries have pyramid shaped structures 🔼, but I have a feeling that birth rates are higher than death rates in developed countries too...'population dynamics' is my worst topic haha)
I also talked about high unemployment, or GDP...I can't remember! :s-smilie:

That seems right! I'm just worried cuz I didn't put any evidence in the last 12 marker.. Do u know if I can still get full marks without referring to the booklet? And what do u guys think the grade boundaries will be for an a/a*?
That seems right! I'm just worried cuz I didn't put any evidence in the last 12 marker.. Do u know if I can still get full marks without referring to the booklet? And what do u guys think the grade boundaries will be for an a/a*?

They're normally A*- 43+ A- 40-42
Don't think It'll be any different
Answering questions
Always refer to parts of the booklet where possible, e.g. 'Figure 3a shows us that...'
Use geographical terms e.g. Desertification, oceanic crust, biome etc
If you can't think of what to write, try to think 'economic, environmental, social' as this will help with any questions asking about sustainability or problems that an area faces.

2 marks- One valid statement+explanation e.g 'to increase the number of births (1 mark) due to their ageing population (1 mark).

3 marks- 1 mark per statement+ up to 2 marks for booklet evidence or explanation (question depending)

4 marks- 3 basic points+1 extended point/2 extended points

6 marks- (point+ booklet evidence+explanation)x3

12 marks- 3 or more positive aspects of option with PEE paragraphs and evidence from booklet+ 1 counter argument stating a negative aspect of your option+ compare to 2 other options. You can get six 2 mark answers to make 12 marks

I didn't put any evidence in my last 12 marker :s is it still possible to get into the top band of marks? I said that option 4 should be chosen -
1) investing in education would result in a highly skilled population which would result in more taxes being given to the government. They can spend this on developing the country further ( positive multiplier effect)
2) it also helps get rid of the debt as people pay higher taxes. Attracts more skilled people- rural to urban migration.
3) government doesn't have to spend as much on things like healthcare because with higher paid jobs.. People have a better quality of life therefore benefitting the economy.
4) encouraging the tourist and bauxite industry is good and will bring in money (section 2) and the bauxite industry will result in more trade however option 4 will benefit the economy largely in the long term. Can anyone tell me if I can still get at least 9/12 without evidence?

I think the grade boundaries will be lower because:
a) we are the first year to sit the new exam style
b) unlike other previous years, we don't get spoon-fed the answers from teachers
c) we have linear exams now
Also, in regard to your evidence question, I will tell you, but you have to think about whether you actually want to know or not. Would it worry you if you may get less marks without evidence? Personally, I would rather be blissfully unaware, forgetting about it all until results day.
My answer is in the spoiler.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by Quinners7
I also chose 1, but it doesnt matter too much. What was the cause and consequence of university graduates emigrating? that didn't seem to be on the page it told you to look at, and I thought every answer was in the booklet...

i think you were meant to notice the fact that much of the land had been clear for subsistence farming which implies the fact that there is a very high number of low skilled jobs and uni grads are not gonna want do that so they emigrate to find higher skill jobs.
Reply 51
You had to write about brain drain and negative multiplier effect because of the young people leaving
Reply 52
I was struggling to find 3 separate points for the six markers?!
Just found this thread. LOVED the paper!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't put any evidence in my last 12 marker :s is it still possible to get into the top band of marks? I said that option 4 should be chosen -
1) investing in education would result in a highly skilled population which would result in more taxes being given to the government. They can spend this on developing the country further ( positive multiplier effect)
2) it also helps get rid of the debt as people pay higher taxes. Attracts more skilled people- rural to urban migration.
3) government doesn't have to spend as much on things like healthcare because with higher paid jobs.. People have a better quality of life therefore benefitting the economy.
4) encouraging the tourist and bauxite industry is good and will bring in money (section 2) and the bauxite industry will result in more trade however option 4 will benefit the economy largely in the long term. Can anyone tell me if I can still get at least 9/12 without evidence?

Wtf, why would you put no evidence? Did your teacher not go through structure with you? The reference to figures and evidence was crucial..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ToLiveInADream
Wtf, why would you put no evidence? Did your teacher not go through structure with you? The reference to figures and evidence was crucial..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know! I completely forgot under pressure and the option I chose (investing in education) didn't have much evidence to back it up anyway. I mentioned "in section 2" once and referred to the debt but didn't specifically write the figure no :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest