Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How is everybody feeling about this exam?

ReputationRep:
    A little worried — I got an A* in the mock but I've no idea how!

What are you thoughts on the ambiguous "packaging for a drinks container" term?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robzwolf)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got an A in my mock last year as well with hardly any revision and my controlled assessment is an A aswell! What's yours?

And I hate it. My school has given us no preparation for section A! Does it mean the packaging for a bottle or the actual bottle containing the drink?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad222)
    I got an A in my mock last year as well with hardly any revision and my controlled assessment is an A aswell! What's yours?

And I hate it. My school has given us no preparation for section A! Does it mean the packaging for a bottle or the actual bottle containing the drink?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, you see, that's the problem... None of us (including our teacher) can work out whether it wants the actual label of a bottle or the box in which it is contained:

Either way, our teacher feels it best to prepare us for both! Just remember PET is a good material for a bottle, or cardboard for a box...

87/90 in my CA. I enquired into where I lost the three marks only to be told that "the exam board don't like full marks" so my teacher knocked a couple off the making just for the sake of knocking some off... But that's still a good A*, so I'm not too concerned!

It all hinges on the exam now...

ReputationRep:
    i dont know anything and not bothering to revise for this waste of my time stupid gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MUTTA)
    i dont know anything and not bothering to revise for this waste of my time stupid gcse
    It's a shame you feel that. I really like Product Design — it's one of those lessons where I can wind down, relax, and just get on with what needs doing. I'll definitely be doing it next year, despite it not being a "facilitating" A Level!

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame you feel that. I really like Product Design — it's one of those lessons where I can wind down, relax, and just get on with what needs doing. I'll definitely be doing it next year, despite it not being a "facilitating" A Level!
    I personally dont like it because my teacher doesnt teach us LIKE REALLY

she cant teach if shes never there and because its not an important subject no one cares

So.....

Im failing it

ReputationRep:
    My teacher says she thinks it will be the packaging to hold lots of drinks . She gave us a mock paper that she thinks would be for next year and we might be asked to draw the net of the packaging. Also she told us to revise printing processes like offset lithography and screen printing. Feeling surprisingly ok quite a lot of people in our set got full marks in our ca's.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me what to revise for this gcse? i'm really scared, we barely did any preparation in school for this.
    The whole two years was just practicing coursework and stuff and we never did the book or anyof that sort :/
    and the mock we did i got a D which is quite worrying.
    They are just few days left, and i've got many exams in between
    can someone tell me the main stuff i should know and learn for the exam, inorder to atleast pass?

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in my coursework and in my mock which isn't too bad considering I didn't revise for the mock and I didn't really want to take the subject from the 2nd week into the course!

I have no idea what to revise, our teachers are both a waste of time and their not actually teaching us anything and giving us websites to use and powerpoints instead to use for revision in our own time. Yet he is still making us come to the lessons even though we're not doing anything in them and we have a mixed class with year 10's who are complete a********!

At the moment I'm fairly confident but I think I'm just in a false sense of security, what is everyone revising and how are you interpreting the context for part A??

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any ideas for section A? Materials? How they're gonna draw it?

And how are you guys revising?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, you see, that's the problem... None of us (including our teacher) can work out whether it wants the actual label of a bottle or the box in which it is contained:

Either way, our teacher feels it best to prepare us for both! Just remember PET is a good material for a bottle, or cardboard for a box...

87/90 in my CA. I enquired into where I lost the three marks only to be told that "the exam board don't like full marks" so my teacher knocked a couple off the making just for the sake of knocking some off... But that's still a good A*, so I'm not too concerned!

It all hinges on the exam now...

Does anyone have the slightest clue about whether we're talking about the actual container or the packaging? Hardest and most broad topic yet, I think some people are complaining to the exam board!

Helppp!

ReputationRep:
    Note also that there will be a question on manufacturing in quantity — production lines, quality control checks and the such.

I think it's wise to have a few prepared ideas on different things to design, especially on questions later in the exam, such as something like "Design a product for young children at a fête".

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any good websites they can suggest me, as i'm finding it very hard to find any with really good information on. Thanks

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought it was firework related for section a????? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franky99)
    Has anyone got any good websites they can suggest me, as i'm finding it very hard to find any with really good information on. Thanks
    http://www.technologystudent.com/prddes1/prddex1.html
    -This is very helpful

ReputationRep:
    Guys can you help figure this out. I know I got an A* in Unit 2 my teacher wont tell me the exact raw marks. So what would I need to get percentage wise in Unit 1 to get an A* overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atsushi)
    Guys can you help figure this out. I know I got an A* in Unit 2 my teacher wont tell me the exact raw marks. So what would I need to get percentage wise in Unit 1 to get an A* overall.
    I think 80% is an A* if u look at last years grade boundaries which are quite low.

ReputationRep:
    We've been doing the portfolio (that dragged on for eternity) for the entirety of this year so none of the class (including myself) have much understanding of the product design theory content.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.technologystudent.com/prd...rodpack14.html ←this might help you.. good luck

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.