Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if there's already a thread on this, I couldn't find it!

Anyone else here sitting this exam on the 2nd (and bricking it, haha)?

What are you expecting/hoping will come up?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

ReputationRep:
    With regards to superpower relations (which is the question I will be doing) I'm guessing it's going to be either about the post Stalin thaw (with relation to the policies of Eisenhower Kennedy and Khrushchev after the death of Stalin and whether or not peaceful coexistence was successful) or the Sino-Soviet relationship. I say this because if you look at the past papers from the years 2010-2013 the questions have been going in a sort of pattern.
    2010 - Post Stalin Thaw/Sino-Soviet Relations
    2011 - Nuclear Arms Race/Detente
    2012 - Post Stalin Thaw/Sino-U.S Relations (slightly different to 2010 but same topic)
    2013 - Nuclear Arms Race/Detente
    2014 - ...
    You get what I mean.
    This of course only applies to section A. For section B, literally anything could come up for either controversies (the beginning and development of the Cold War or the ending and conclusion). The controversy I'm going to be answering is the former and I hope the question is related to the political misjudgements that the USA made with regards to what they perceived as soviet expansionism from the mid 1940's to 1953.
    How about you? I'm interested to know what topic and particular controversy you would want to come up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm only revising the 4th for topics, leaving out detente and end of cold war.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yuvalpesh)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you mean your only revising nuclear arms race ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pablo18)
    With regards to superpower relations (which is the question I will be doing) I'm guessing it's going to be either about the post Stalin thaw (with relation to the policies of Eisenhower Kennedy and Khrushchev after the death of Stalin and whether or not peaceful coexistence was successful) or the Sino-Soviet relationship. I say this because if you look at the past papers from the years 2010-2013 the questions have been going in a sort of pattern.
    2010 - Post Stalin Thaw/Sino-Soviet Relations
    2011 - Nuclear Arms Race/Detente
    2012 - Post Stalin Thaw/Sino-U.S Relations (slightly different to 2010 but same topic)
    2013 - Nuclear Arms Race/Detente
    2014 - ...
    You get what I mean.
    This of course only applies to section A. For section B, literally anything could come up for either controversies (the beginning and development of the Cold War or the ending and conclusion). The controversy I'm going to be answering is the former and I hope the question is related to the political misjudgements that the USA made with regards to what they perceived as soviet expansionism from the mid 1940's to 1953.
    How about you? I'm interested to know what topic and particular controversy you would want to come up.
    I'm hoping for a question on Peaceful Coexistence or Sino-Soviet relations!! I wish I'd done last year's paper though, just for the nuclear arms race...

Do you think it's unlikely origins of détente could come up??

As for Section B: I'm definitely doing the start of the cold war! I don't know if it's just because we did it first, but I feel like I can talk about it a lot more. I'd like a controversy relating to the idea of US/Soviet aggression, or security interests.

(Original post by yuvalpesh)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is that everything but détente?

Good luck for Monday you guys!!
    ...I'm still bricking it, haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrandmr.crane)
    Sorry if there's already a thread on this, I couldn't find it!

Anyone else here sitting this exam on the 2nd (and bricking it, haha)?

What are you expecting/hoping will come up?

YE i am sitting the exam on 2nd too! Buzzing. Going to leave out nuclear arms race and end of cold war

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samchippeck)
    YE i am sitting the exam on 2nd too! Buzzing. Going to leave out nuclear arms race and end of cold war
    Are you looking forward to it? Hahaha

Looks like most people are leaving out the end of the cold war ^__^

ReputationRep:
    Are you looking forward to it? Hahaha

Looks like most people are leaving out the end of the cold war ^__^
    nah taking the piss. Only thing I look forward to is when I walk out my last exam :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm doing this exam too What is the best way to answer the part B question (on controversies)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frenchiex)
    Hey, I'm doing this exam too What is the best way to answer the part B question (on controversies)?
    Well thee questions will always be based on how far do u agree. So answer it two sidedly.

ReputationRep:
    Well thee questions will always be based on how far do u agree. So answer it two sidedly.
    Well yes I know that. but I meant in terms of cross-referencing etc. Do you have a set method?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frenchiex)
    Well yes I know that. but I meant in terms of cross-referencing etc. Do you have a set method?
    Oh my bad. The SOURCES. Ok well I sort of cross reference them but i tend to use the quotes more to back my point up. Its in my conclusion paragraph I cross reference it with a summary straight to the point

ReputationRep:
    nah taking the piss. Only thing I look forward to is when I walk out my last exam :cool:
    Ohhh hahaha. You can never really tell on TSR!

SAME.
    I can't even put into words how much I'm looking forward to that day!! The sweet, sweet relief (I think I'll give it at least a couple of weeks before I go into a complete meltdown over my results...)

ReputationRep:
    I've been self teaching this.. I just wanna check I've got this right.. I'm going post 64 question. Now is it limited to only Sino soviet split, origins of detente, success & failures of detente and end of detente? Or have I gone wrong? :I

I did the paper last year but I needed about 15 UMS for an A so I've redone the coursework and gotten about 10...and yeah I don't want to bugger this up by not prepping for all the questions I could get...

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping for a question on Peaceful Coexistence or Sino-Soviet relations!! I wish I'd done last year's paper though, just for the nuclear arms race...

Do you think it's unlikely origins of détente could come up??

As for Section B: I'm definitely doing the start of the cold war! I don't know if it's just because we did it first, but I feel like I can talk about it a lot more. I'd like a controversy relating to the idea of US/Soviet aggression, or security interests.

I highly doubt a question related to detente will appear this year. If you look back at previous papers the issue of detente has already come up twice (it kind of blended in with the question last year as well).

Wish everyone the best of luck, let's get it guys!

ReputationRep:
    Just to make sure, for the controversy question, they MUST ask one question on why the Cold War started and one question on why it ended, right? Or could they have two on why it started/two on why it ended?

I'm taking a big risk by only studying why the Cold War started cause I find that much easier :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Another question if anyone can help. For the Part B question, can you counter-argue the sources that agree with the question? So say that the question says that it was Soviet expansion that developed the Cold War and Source 1 agrees with that, can you structure it as:

Introduction

Point 1: Talk about how Source 1 supports the view, however, bring in OK to counter it if you don't believe that was the main reason (or should you only bring in OK to support it??)

Point 2: Talk about how Source 2 and 3 and disagree and bring in OK to support it.

Conclusion

(The bold is where I'm confused)

ReputationRep:
    How likely is it that nuclear arms race will come up? Think its the most straightforward one!

And are all questions related to the thaw roughly the same? can we follow the same structure used for past paper thaw questions?

Best of luck for mondayyyyy

ReputationRep:
    I hope so. My college has only taught us the origins of the cold war for the controversies so I would probably cry if they didn't ask a question on it. My teacher said that apparently the exam board don't mind whether your taught one or both and have to ask a question on each.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 3, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.