Turn on thread page Beta

Printers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Like most people i'm considering which laptop etc. before going to uni, i've seen plenty of threads providing good advice on laptops and pc's but i have a few questions on printers.

Essentially I need a printer for printing essays, but I've seen printers with built in copier/scanner.
    If I purchase one with a copier/scanner would I be able to use it like a photocopier and scan/print pages from text books etc. instead of using a main photocopier in the uni?
    I've seen some priced around £30/£40 is the average for them or is it overpriced/too cheap for decent quality?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can use them as a photocopier.

Expect to pay around the £80 mark for a resonable quality one. I'm a fan of the HP PSC range (I have a 1510)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little_soph)
    Like most people i'm considering which laptop etc. before going to uni, i've seen plenty of threads providing good advice on laptops and pc's but i have a few questions on printers.

Essentially I need a printer for printing essays, but I've seen printers with built in copier/scanner.
    If I purchase one with a copier/scanner would I be able to use it like a photocopier and scan/print pages from text books etc. instead of using a main photocopier in the uni?
    I've seen some priced around £30/£40 is the average for them or is it overpriced/too cheap for decent quality?

Thanks.
    Most all in one printer/scanner/copiers have a one button copy feature that doesnt require the pc to be on.

I bought one recently for £69. So £30-40 i dont think its overpriced as long as its a decent brand. You should also look at how much ink costs because that may turn out to be your biggest cost.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much.

Yeah, someone mentioned they did Lexmark ones in Tesco and I was a bit like :eek:
    Just feel kindda strange buying computer stuff from the same place I get my vegetables, but i'll check out some other places and the net.

ReputationRep:
    Avoid lexmark for non busisness printers. Thier cartridges are small and randomly expensive.

ReputationRep:
    My advice is to be really weary of Epson because their printers can be cheap but their cartridges are disgraceful. You pay large amounts of money for cartridges that effectively tell you that you have no ink left (And therefore stop you using the cartridge) when there is actually still about 1/4 of the ink left in it.

They work on chips so you can easily just get a chip resetter to trick it into thinking that the cartridge is full again.. but for the general part its not worth the hassle.

ReputationRep:
    Cool. We have a lexmark that came free with our home pc that we got about 6 years ago (dead ancient now) kind of gave up buying cartridges for it, just got the old ones refilled.

ReputationRep:
    if i were you i would go buy the cost of replacing the ink and not the actual price of the printer. a new black and colour ink might cost £30 from someone like HP which is the cost of the printer. Get an i250 if you can find out, there not sold anymore, as you can pick up a cartridge for 80p.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.