The Student Room Group

Recruitment of white officers must be slowed down

Poll

Should White Recuits be cut back?

What a load of rubbish!

I totally disagree with excluding some whites to make the police more PC.

If blacks do not wish to join the police, then so what!

Bevan Powell, deputy chair of the Black Police Association, has called for “affirmative action” to help recruit more black police personnel.

Speaking to Black Britain Powell said: “We’ve already said that we would like to see affirmative action put in place. Both [in terms of recruitment and progression] based on the patent model that was introduced in Northern Ireland where a 50-50 system was introduced - 50 per cent Catholic and 50 per cent Protestant.”

Powell, maintained that he wasn’t talking about a “lowering of standards” or even the same “50/50 split” that worked so successfully in Ireland.

Powell told Black Britain: “What we are talking about is having a critical mass of officers recruited at the same time. In a sense, slowing down the recruitment of white officers and increasing that of blacks. It might be [only] 30-70 but this is certainly something that we are demanding for London.”

Powell insisted that The Association of Chief Police Officers [ACPO], a police body that works in developing policing policies on behalf of the service as a whole, were behind him.

Powell told Black Britain: “Many senior officers within ACPO and within the constabularies have voiced support for such an action but it will need delegation. We have already written papers on that.”

Two years ago ACPO said that it had concerns about the proposal - but agreed “radical” measures were needed if “ethnic minority candidates” were to be fast tracked into the service.

http://www.blackbritain.co.uk/news/details.aspx?i=2245&c=UK&h=Black+Police+Association+demands+affirmative+action+to+recruit+more+black+police+workers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ethically anything like this is a disgrace, where theres taxpayers money there should always be absolute equality, affirmative action is just discrimination re-labelled, totally unacceptable- and thus I would say such affirmative action should only be allowed in the private sector (i.e. store security guards)- NOT in the Police, who's sole legitimate purpose is to protect us and our property.
Reply 2
See ethnic quotas thread:smile:

Quotas are hypocritical as they employ racism in order to cancel out the supposed effects of racism:confused:
Reply 3
Zakatu
Quotas are hypocritical as they employ racism in order to cancel out the supposed effects of racism:confused:

Umhm, absolutely. In the same way that taxation is often used as a way of cancelling out 'inequalities'; it really does defy all logic.
Reply 4
Zakatu
See ethnic quotas thread:smile:

For once we agree. Positive discrimination is still discrimination, and should be stamped out. If not enough black people are coming forward, that's their problem. Why deny a white man a job because of it? Imagine the scenario: "sorry mate, despite being highly qualified to be an officer, and physically fit, until we find two suitable black men and an arab, we're going to have to turn you away". ridiculous, discriminatory, and unfair.
Reply 5
I don't agree with quotas but the police need to stop being racist. I recognise the need for representation of all areas of the community in the police.
Reply 6
Laika
I don't agree with quotas but the police need to stop being racist.

Evidence, please.

Laika

I recognise the need for representation of all areas of the community in the police.

What is the need?
Reply 7
poltroon
Evidence, please.

No.

What is the need?

So minorities aren't easy targets for institutional abuse/prejudice and there can be more tolerance and voices from different communities in the force.
Reply 8
Laika
No.

Then why have you made the presumption that the police force is racist?

Do you suppose that every person you meet is racist until they have proved otherwise?

Laika

So minorities aren't easy targets for institutional abuse/prejudice and there can be more tolerance and voices from different communities in the force.

If 20% of a local population are Black should the local police force aim to recuit a force with a number of Blacks proportional to that figure?
Reply 9
poltroon
Then why have you made the presumption that the police force is racist?

Do you suppose that every person you meet is racist until they have proved otherwise?

Look the police have been criticised in the past for institutional racism as well as being accused of a number of racist crimes. I appreciate this is probably a minority of officers, and if I have made an incorrect assumption then I'll issue the police with a written apology. But you know exactly what I am getting at without the need for me to dig up evidence, which you would dismiss anyway, thus rendering the exercise pointless.

If 20% of a local population are Black should the local police force aim to recuit a force with a number of Blacks proportional to that figure?

Not necessarily, especially if doing so is at the expense of the quality of the force. But I think it helps to have officers from different ethnic background in the force to help accurately reflect the composition of the community and act as role models, yes.
Reply 10
Laika
Look the police have been criticised in the past for institutional racism as well as being accused of a number of racist crimes. I appreciate this is probably a minority of officers, and if I have made an incorrect assumption then I'll issue the police with a written apology. But you know exactly what I am getting at without the need for me to dig up evidence, which you would dismiss anyway, thus rendering the exercise pointless..

Why is it that the police force in particular is, according to you, more racist than other large organisations?

Laika

Not necessarily, especially if doing so is at the expense of the quality of the force. But I think it helps to have officers from different ethnic background in the force to help accurately reflect the composition of the community and act as role models, yes.

I would feel safer in the knowledge that my local force had followed principles that allowed it to pick only the best candidates for the job rather than just those who happened to be from the 'right' race.
Reply 11
poltroon
Why is it that the police force in particular is, according to you, more racist than other large organisations?

It probably isn't. However since they are performing a public service which directly affects the lives of citizens, the racism becomes more grave. Furthermore the police have been publicly dogged with accusations of racism moreso than other organisations.

I would feel safer in the knowledge that my local force had followed principles that allowed it to pick only the best candidates for the job rather than just those who happened to be from the 'right' race.

Agreed, but I feel that a police force, as a collective unit, will function more effectively when it encompasses a range of officers who accurately represent the community. I don't think that the quality of policing should be affected to achieve this goal by filling quotas, but I do fool that part of being a good police force is representing all sections of the community fairly.

As a white male, I do not feel the specific need for more black police officers. It doesn't really impact me greatly. However, if I was a youth from a minority, I might suspect the police due to criticims of institutional racism, and feel that I am discriminated against or not adequetely represented. The police should address concerns such as this in order to fairly represent the whole population.
If black people aren't coming foward then surely the priority is to ensure that they are motivated to come foward, denying people who want the job an opportunity to do it because others don't want it is ridiculous. Refusing white applicants is easier than addressing the reasons that black people have for not wanting to join. The net result however is less police officers because if black people won't join and white people can't join then who is going to police the streets?
Reply 13
Did it ever occur to these geniuses that black people don't feel that attracted to a career as a pig?
While I must say that I disagree entirely with this whole positive discrimination nonsense, has it occured to anyone that a police force that is representative of a community deals better with members of those communities?
SolInvictus
While I must say that I disagree entirely with this whole positive discrimination nonsense, has it occured to anyone that a police force that is representative of a community deals better with members of those communities?

It will increase chances of corruption.
exiled-student

Fair enough.
Reply 17
exiled-student

What will? Having more black people on the force?

I don't agree with positive discrimination any more than I do negative. If we are supposed to view everyone equally, then everyone should be treated equally. I can see stuff like this just causing more and more racial tension and we really don't need that right now.
Howard
Did it ever occur to these geniuses that black people don't feel that attracted to a career as a pig?

I think the met has such a bad name and rep amongst ethnic minorities as an institution that they just dont have the confidence in it, let alone join it.
Reply 19
Carl
For once we agree. Positive discrimination is still discrimination, and should be stamped out. If not enough black people are coming forward, that's their problem. Why deny a white man a job because of it? Imagine the scenario: "sorry mate, despite being highly qualified to be an officer, and physically fit, until we find two suitable black men and an arab, we're going to have to turn you away". ridiculous, discriminatory, and unfair.

:ditto:

Latest

Trending

Trending