Terror attacks Watch

Dougy_S
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
The recent foiled terror plots, as most of you probably know, grounded a lot of flights and brought with it stringent security checks and no baggage being taken on board, things looked a bit safer. Which is good, noone wants to see people die infront of them. But for every action, there is a reaction. Not as severe as it doesnt involve people dieing, but this was bound to happen. All these luxurys we take on board with us, had to go in the hold. So as your waiting at the other end for your laptop to come round on the conveyor, you realise that cumpled wreck thats passing you is your brand new, state of the art super slim, and now a bit slimmer laptop, with cables bits of the screen hanging out the side of it, lovingly sent first class recorded delivery by the baggage handler. Then theres the guy standing next to you, waiting for his laptop, turns out hes still waiting, it was sent special delivery to the handlers mate to keep for later, when no doubt Daves music collection and all his work will be turned into cash on the black market. This, is the worst thing about flying in the UK at the moment Ok now you can take valubles onboard with you, but this is disgracefull http://uk.news.yahoo.com/15082006/14...sing-bags.html 20,000 people went on their hols, expecting to get their stuff at the other side, and were left to discover that some miserable sod has decided that your gf's bikini would look better on him. It is something which worries me, seeing as i am flying out next thursday. But surely something needs to be done?

Discuss.
Sweyn Forkbeard
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, I'm flying out to the US on Monday, so this is a little worrying. I'd rather have my stuff nicked than get blown up though.
*titanium*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I really doubt that 20,000 bags where stolen, they where simply 'lost' because of all thats happened, thing is these bags are slowly turning up at places and since they have tags on can be sent to their owners. It is certainly a pain to have to wiat so long for your luggage but the vast majority will eventualy be returned. and as mentioned above, i would rather have to make a couple of insurance claims then die.
stegrier
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
but to be honest how are you to know your laptop bag will get back in your hands,
the problem is that your gonna be posting your laptop bag as a luggage,
someone is gonna nick it before you in the conveyor belt , take it to the toilet, open it up , put it in their bag and go out.
seriously, anyone can do that because there's toilets at the luggage claiming area.
i'm seriously worried too, i'm flying back INTO Uk, and i'm wondering if i'll be having that problem
*titanium*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by stegrier)
but to be honest how are you to know your laptop bag will get back in your hands,
the problem is that your gonna be posting your laptop bag as a luggage,
someone is gonna nick it before you in the conveyor belt , take it to the toilet, open it up , put it in their bag and go out.
seriously, anyone can do that because there's toilets at the luggage claiming area.
i'm seriously worried too, i'm flying back INTO Uk, and i'm wondering if i'll be having that problem
There must have certainly been more thefts since people had to put these it items in with the normal luggage, but these 20,000 bags did not get stolen! Im sure only a small fraction got stolen.
philjw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Even so, people that would steal bags now have even more of an incentive to do so, knowing that mobile phones, car keys, laptops, PDAs, alcohol and other very stealable goods are all going to be in people's check-in baggage.
muslim girl
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
these bags belong to passengers of BA flights (which prolly doesnt make a differnce) hence why BA is considering sueing BAA (who runs heathrow airport) for the misery its causing them.

I think its jus a hitch, in regards to wat happened at the airport, i doubt it will be a continuous thing.

What is a conincidence is, as soon as Mr Bliar landed at his luxury holiday destination, straight after they do the raid.....:confused: the rich will always be given priority (PM or not) and kept safe:mad:
dan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's quite simple - you don't take ANY valuables unless you need them. You generally go on holiday to get away from work so I really don't see the point in taking your laptop unless you are on a business related holiday in which case you either secure your laptop with sufficient locks (or a shape of bag that doesn't suggest a laptop is stored in it) or you still don't take it and book into a hotel with Internet capabilities - there are plenty enough around nowadays.
Dougy_S
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
A mate flew out to the states a few days ago, and she got her bag back with the lock smashed, the suitcase ripped and her ipod and camera missing. Its a shame that for a country having the worlds busiest international airport, we have some of the worst members of staff around. And yes i would prefer to have something stolen than blown up *titanium*, however it is annoying when you hear about all this
LouE3D
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sadly, again I think it is a minority damaging the reputation of a whole group. The fact that people are taking advantage of a very seriously, potential life threatening situation is just beyond me and I hope that the individuals responsible are caught and punished.

However, I do think that the majority of bags have beeen lost as opposed to stolen... massive increase in baggage and an eve increasing workload, not to mention the additional worries of the past few days.

Only advice I can offer to those who will be taking expensive items such as laptops, game consoles, mp3 players and digital cameras is to a) make sure you have the appropriate insurance b) disguise them as best you can withing your luggage (i.e. as someone said... a laptop bag is a dead give away! Put the laptop in your suitcase, along with the rest of your items) and c) only take what you need.

Said electrical items mentioned are however allowed to be taken on as hand luggage now but will be subject to screening procedures so you can actually keep all said items on your person for the duration of your flight.
*titanium*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The odd thing is, they say bags where lost due to the large increase in the number of bags going through since you are not allowed hand lugguage. However it just occured to me that with so many cancled flights, the number of bags going through should not really be much higher.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (809)
80.42%
Leave (197)
19.58%

Watched Threads