Best books for AQA A2 PSYA3 and PSYA4 Watch

mbolomiti
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
which books would you recommend for the above, i am going into my A2 year and want to hear what is best available and also which topics are easier than others?
lemonysnicketing
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you do AQA A, I'd recommend the A2 Complete Comapnion Student Book by Mike Cardwell and Cara Flanagan as the main textbook. I'd supplement it with the Collins Psychology A2 for AQA A and maybe the CGP A2 Level for Psychology AQA A (although I don't use this one so I'm not sure what it's like).

PSYA3: The most common ones (which I think are not too bad) are Aggression and Relationships. I've heard people find Biological Rhythms and Sleep a bit difficult (there's a lot to learn for it). I also do Eating Behaviour which I think is also popular but I'm not a fan of the eating disorder section at the back.

PSYA4: The most common one I think is Schizophenia and Addiction, but I do Depression. Personally, I'm not a fan of Addiction but some teachers say it's easier compared to Anomalistic and Media, but others say Media is the best one.
Urban Ace
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lemonysnicketing)
If you do AQA A, I'd recommend the A2 Complete Comapnion Student Book by Mike Cardwell and Cara Flanagan as the main textbook. I'd supplement it with the Collins Psychology A2 for AQA A and maybe the CGP A2 Level for Psychology AQA A (although I don't use this one so I'm not sure what it's like).

PSYA3: The most common ones (which I think are not too bad) are Aggression and Relationships. I've heard people find Biological Rhythms and Sleep a bit difficult (there's a lot to learn for it). I also do Eating Behaviour which I think is also popular but I'm not a fan of the eating disorder section at the back.

PSYA4: The most common one I think is Schizophenia and Addiction, but I do Depression. Personally, I'm not a fan of Addiction but some teachers say it's easier compared to Anomalistic and Media, but others say Media is the best one.
You know what's funny? I copied out one of the A grade essays from the Collins one about aggression and sent it to my Psychology teacher and he gave me a C. Apparently, the AO2/AO3 wasn't detailed enough or well related to the question.
lemonysnicketing
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Urban Ace)
You know what's funny? I copied out one of the A grade essays from the Collins one about aggression and sent it to my Psychology teacher and he gave me a C. Apparently, the AO2/AO3 wasn't detailed enough or well related to the question.
The Collins one has a few good evaluation but honestly, it's overly detailed and some of the evaluation gets ridiculous: literally some of them are one or two sentences each and that's supposed to answer 16 marks worth of AO2? I'm so glad my teacher bought the Complete Companion textbooks. (Although I do think some evaluation points are a but superficial or not well explained bu that's generally only a minority of the points. Overall, I'd say it's the best textbook for A2.)
mbolomiti
Rep:
?
thank you all, so you agree that the Complete companion is the best. for my As i bought the Nelson Thornes and it was useless, i start using it in the first few chapters and then i realised it was too complicated/ too much for something so simple if you know what i mean. i went through the year with some bits from the student support material Collins and revision notes.
mbolomiti
Rep:
?
and yes sorry i am doing Psy A. thanks again for your suggestions on topics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.73%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.64%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.57%
No, I am unable to (141)
23.23%
No, I chose not to (175)
28.83%