Relationships Psychology AQA Similarity model Watch

AntoniaM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey everyone! I have a bit of trouble outlining and evaluating the Similarity model for the formation of relationships for psychology. I have done an outline but I feel like it's not really clear and I don't know if I wrote it in the exam it would get me full credit. Would anyone be able to give me feedback? Here's my outline: According to the model of Similarity (Byrne et al., 1986) individuals are attracted to people who have similar attitudes and personality traits to their own. Byrne et al. suggested that relationships are therefore formed through 2 stages. Firstly, 'potential partners' are eliminated based on dissimilarity. In other words, if certain people's personality and attitudes are too different from the individual, they are avoided. Afterwards, the individual chooses a partner from those remaining, whose personality or attitudes are more similar to their own. Having similar personality leads to more long-term relationships and happier couples ( Caspi and Herbener (1990)). Having different attitudes can lead to disagreement, therefore if individuals do not have the same attitudes, one or both partners go through a process of attitude alignment, where they modify their attitudes to become similar. This allows for the relationship to develop further. Byrne et al's similarity model therefore emphasizes the importance of similar attitudes and personality for a relationship to form and develop. I don't know about evaluation :confused:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (10)
6.21%
They've been reasonable (67)
41.61%
Not feeling great... (44)
27.33%
They are TERRIBLE! (40)
24.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise